Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM
JIMBO

Default The Kicking Game

A few of the guys in the MW have Chris LeMay's "Kicking Cards" which I believe have added one of thee most important parts of football to our beloved game, the Kick Return. Actually, I think Special Teams is essential to any game of EF. However, all 10 of us didn't have the cards, so as Ron and I have delved into tabletop wargames, we are quite accustomed to using dice. We created the following system to accentuate Chris' card system. But if you don't like dice, get Chris' cards ASAP.

KICKOFFS:
*Kicking Team lines up on their 30 and the Return Team lines up on the KT's 45.

*We roll our dice (2 same colored D6 and one different colored D6) to determine how far and where the kick goes.

*Let's say we roll a 3 on the 1D6 and two 4's on the 2D6. The 1D6 tells us that it's a "thirty-something" yard kick and then we add the two 4's (not to exceed 9). So in this case, it's a 38yd kick. We add the 38 to the Return Team's starting LOS (45) to see how far. In this case, 38 + 45 = 83. Subtract that from a 100yd field, means the ball is kicked to the 17. Bad kick. Must be Vanderjagt.

*Now we know "how far" the kick went, but now we need to know "where" it went or what part of the field. All of our fields can be divided into 6 zones, from the Kicking Team's left to right:
  1. sideline to numbers
  2. numbers to hashmarks
  3. between the hashes
  4. between the hashes
  5. hashmarks to numbers
  6. numbers to sideline.

Reroll the dice and read the 1D6. Let's say the 1D6 came up a 3. The KR can be placed on the 17yd line anywhere between the hashes.

Now as far as "hangtime" is concerned, that is determined by the length of the kick (not to exceed :04 seconds) or in this case 38yds = :03 seconds of hangtime. As you can probably assume, hangtimes are:
  1. 10-19yds
  2. 20-29yds
  3. 30-39yds
  4. 40+ yds

Now, since most EFers don't practice enough with their Kickers, we don't always have to return the ball from the same ol' GL EVERY SINGLE KICK. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!

Last edited by JIMBO : 11-29-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Cool jimbo

very well explained Jimbo. Looks like something to try out.

Based on your concept, after the 3 sec hang time - do unengaed players get turned at this point?

- What happens if the kicking team gets a player to the spot before 3 secs??

- How, under your design, are onlide kicks handled?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Jimbo, I've seen the kicking cards and they are nice, but they overlook two things. Kicks that go out of bounds, and touchbacks. What I did was I made a box of 36 squares, 6 across and 6 down. In 3 squares I put OB for out of bounds and in 3 other squares I put TB for touchback. In the other 30 squares I put in varying amounts of distance from 51 yards to 79 yards. Then I roll 3 dice, one is the number across and the other is down. Whatever number is in that square is the distance for the kick. The third die is like what you did, varies the spot on the field that the kick went to. I line them up like in the pros, at the 30 yardline and the defense is from the 40 on back. As far as hang time, I used to do 4 seconds, but found that the board speed would affect the distance the players ran. So what I did, was change it to running the board until the first player of the kicking team reached the 40 yard line of the returning team. Then I turn it off, take the player off the magnet and turn anyone not in a block. Then resume play. Typically my returns end up between the 20 and 30 yard lines, pretty much normal for NFL returns. I've had a few that were inside the 10, and some that went all the way for a TD and anything in between. One other thing I do, is if the kick is inside the end zone, I give the returning team the option of downing the ball or running it out. Like you said, it makes for a lot more interesting kickoffs than just returning it from the goal line in the middle of the field all the time.

And if you really want some fun, add penalties and fumbles into the mix.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Coach

Default Their is the skill of using the actual kicker

Sense I was a kid I have always used the kicker for punts.One rule was that you could try to sideline kick it or you try to kick in play the runner is on a magnet and has a four second count this is the hang time the reciveing team has two unblock gunners that covers the kick the recieving team could call fair catch or try to run it back many times the punt returner is tackled and gets about 10 to 20 yards but ever now again the punt gets ran back and its exciting!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
JIMBO

Default Os Kicks And Coffin Corners

I forgot about those 2 types of Kicks.

Onside Kicks are done the MW way of placing a magnetic ball on the 40yd line AFTER the Strategy Divider is lifted, determined by the 1D6. Both teams can then angle toward the ball (only the Kicking Team's players that are on or beyond the 50) and then attempt to recover it within :04 seconds.

Coffin Corner Punts: On the 2nd roll of the dice, if the 1D6 is a 1 or a 6, it is up to the Kicking Team to allow the Return or call it a kick OB at that spot.

JJ: I prefer using the TTQB for ALL of my kicks, since I am pretty darn good with it. If you placed a Quarter anywhere on the board, I could plant 8 outta 10 balls on it.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Oh yeah??? What if I put the quarter standing up on edge?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default jimbo since you called.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
I forgot about those 2 types of Kicks.

Onside Kicks are done the MW way of placing a magnetic ball on the 40yd line AFTER the Strategy Divider is lifted, determined by the 1D6. Both teams can then angle toward the ball (only the Kicking Team's players that are on or beyond the 50) and then attempt to recover it within :04 seconds.

Coffin Corner Punts: On the 2nd roll of the dice, if the 1D6 is a 1 or a 6, it is up to the Kicking Team to allow the Return or call it a kick OB at that spot.

JJ: I prefer using the TTQB for ALL of my kicks, since I am pretty darn good with it. If you placed a Quarter anywhere on the board, I could plant 8 outta 10 balls on it.
next time we are in the same room together, I wanna see the demo on the 8 out of 10 !!!!!!!!