Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default How could we pull off a ...

solitaire tournament? What could be done to make this possible? I know each coach plays alone but is there some way to make it where you coach someone else's team?

Just scattershooting...

Reg
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Reggie
What do you not understand about solitaire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I think you could have a gathering of solitaire players to bring their champions in for a tournament, but rules would be a sticking point as we all play our solo leagues differently.

Short of mailing teams to other coaches, I'm not sure how it could be done ... unless you got 8 committed coaches, and we all had one conference (ideally for college). Keep it simple, 11 on 11 ironman, because every coach would have to have every team. It's not practical, maybe, but that might be the way to do it.

Weight would be another issue. I know Reg plays with players that are in the 5-6 gram range. I play pretty much straight out of the box with tweaks, so everyone is about 3.0 to 3.2. Others differ - to each their own and it's all good.

It's an interesting question, I'm just not sure it has a correct answer.

Ed
Old 10-19-2010, 04:59 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default proxy racing

Hi Reginald,

Search on internet for proxy slot car racing. It's a racing by mail tournament method. You send your car by mail, on diferent home slot tracks, and each player race all the cars. So you can determinate a champ at the end.

Of course, it's a confidence related tournament. People has to take care of material we send them, and be fair on race/gaming. Nothing to win, just fun. Not something for big egos.

It exists diferent rulesets for it. Personaly I'm the 2009 french nascar champion (1/32 SCX slot car). We were about 10 french racers in this event.

Maybe you can adapt or inspire of it for a proxy football tournament.

Last edited by the french guy : 10-19-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooMorgans View Post
Short of mailing teams to other coaches, I'm not sure how it could be done ... unless you got 8 committed coaches, and we all had one conference (ideally for college).

Ed

Reggie, people have been telling me for years that I should be committed.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Rutledge View Post
solitaire tournament? What could be done to make this possible? I know each coach plays alone but is there some way to make it where you coach someone else's team?

Just scattershooting...

Reg
I have thought about this for a while. How about a round robin tournament where everyone has to play the opposing coach on their field by their rules for a real home field advantage. Probably want to keep it small. No more than maybe 6 to 8 guys. All rules have to be published on the solitaire board in advance of the games so the other coaches can get a chance to familiarize themselves with them if they wish. Also no weight limits or equipment restrictions.

It wouldn't be so much to see who wins but to see the different rule sets in action and to have fun. Keep it as low stress as possible.

I planned on playing a league this year but life happened (court custody battle for my kid; my job went through a massive restructuring etc.). The reason I play solitaire is that I can do it on my own time and still have plenty of time left to spend with my family which is really important to me right now. In other words, with all that is going on in my life, I need to keep my situation as low maintenance as possible.

If there was a tournament like this for the solitaire players to get together with out all of the commotion about rules, equipment, schedules, and just general bickering, I think it would a be a blast.

We could call it the MFCA Solitaire Super Bowl Tournament or something.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I know Reggie can televise games. Perhaps we could all send in our champions and pick another mamber to play the games with Reggie with a set of solitaire rules we all agree on. If he is willing we could then watch our teams play.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Rookie, can you get on this

These are some great concepts that are being bantered around. Everyone on this thread offer some great insight.

For example, Dimitri lives in France. He brings in the concept of "Mail Ordered Games". Dogwood brings in the concept of games on TV. This is something we could all be a part of. If this can be taught to all and somehow shown by each of us? Iron Eagle brings in the round robin idea and something small, maybe 6-8 guys? Roo brings in the idea of some type of combined ruleset and some Iron Man type of solitaire. An idea of a compromised weight standard would be interesting. Rookie has talked about wanting to play some role in making things work in the past. I know Doug pretty well and trust me, if anyone could police something like this, he could. Plus, we've got a venue planned and some of you may want to consider being a part of this.

Let's look at the good of the game and us as ambassadors to the game. This may be worth our time.

Reg
Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I like a lot that idea. I had a lot of fun participating to the french nascar proxy championship.

IN that concept, each coach should mail his own playbook too. If you broadcast the game, you can even imagine a direct live confrontation, where the coach can say (on the chat service of ustream, or veetle, or any website like that) what he decide to do.

Imagine this, for example :

Reginald put a I offense formation. I see it on the video. Then, on the chat form (or microphone, I don't know if it's possible) I decide what defense I want to play. Let's say "defense number 3", wich is a 4-3 defense. Reginald watch my playbook (including a precise scheme with numbers and all the stuff), and put my defense on the formation I choosed. Then, he controls the game, like in a normal solitaire game.

A sort of hybrid between solitaire (the coach is alone to operate the game and teams) and "classic" 1 on 1 game.

If we want to keep that thing on a real solitaire play, just keep the personal playbooks, and roll dice to decide the formations.

Everyone have a PC and at least a webcam. We can imagine tutorials to put all that online and operate this type of game.

edit : we can also use that direct live gaming concept in another way : the home coach could operate teams of other coaches only, and play as a sort of referee. Like on a 100% dice ruled solitaire gaming (I know a lot of solitaire players like to play that way and watch the games as a spectator).

So the playbooks could stay secret if we manage a clever schedule. Imagine Reginald vs dimitri, in Dogwood stadium. Dogwood has our playbooks, so on the schedule we should never play against him. But we can receive his team and confront it to iron Eagle's one. Etc, etc... Rough ideas I throw here until I forget them

If we separate the mailing league in 2 conferences, we could play a season perfectly fair with that system.

I believe that system has also a lot of potential to surpass the frontiers and distances, even not in solitaire based gameplay.

Last edited by the french guy : 10-19-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Wow ! There are an almost limitless amount of ides here. I think if we keep putting our ideas on these posts we can always refer back to them to come up with a great thing. It will be like anything else that's experimental. It won't be perfect the first time, maybe even the first few times but each time we play the more we will learn and adapt. As a solitaire leagur player you already have to be objective and neutral that's the nature of the solitaire game. Unlike the head to head players and I'm not knocking them in any way because head to head games are very competitive I think we are looking to play and showcase our own teams to the other members to see what we've got. I am excited about this and will continue to put out ideas. Perhaps we could start a thread for each facet of the game and then discuss how we all play that part of the game in our leagues. For example we could do a thread just on kickoffs, or passing rules, or penalties. Once we have each others ideas then we can start constructing some kind of rulebook. As Reggie stated we could all be ambassadors of the game and see what we create. Solitaire Leagues are an important way of creating more interest in the hobby. It will also benefit the MFCA as well as all the members who are painters or sell figures, bases and field covers an so on. I know guys who have been playing Strat-o-matic baseball leagues for years. They even wrote a book about their legendary players and members. Maybe we could do the same.

Mike Veliky