Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 PM
JIMBO

Default Weight Limits

I know "WHY" we install weight limits: because there are more than 30 different figures and 10 different bases that we can combine to make more than 300 different weight combinations. Reminds me of The University of Oregon and their 1000 different uniform combinations!?!

But, let's say that other than changing a few arm, leg and head positions - NO MAJOR CUSTOMIZING!!! - let's say I combine a 2.4 gram ff.com figure + a standard 0.8 gram rookie base to weigh-in at 3.2 total grams? What if my ENTIRE team was dressed like this? All 33 guys. No matter how you take apart and recombine the figures and bases, they will ALWAYS weigh 3.2 grams.

Is THAT any different than dressing an ENTIRE team with '67 Big Man DBs on Miggle TTCs?

IF there is no other combination to be made why wouldn't the first example not be allowed?

Should all of our rules be rewritten to allow for this possibility? I think "yes" with a clause stating that if one single, solitary non-rookie base is used, THEN all figures should be 2.0 grams, no questions. I love "if/then" statements, don't you?

Not only am I asking because that is the combination I find myself pondering while preparing my team for league play. But I also wonder on a hobby-wide level. Since the 3.2 limit was set based on the heaviest figure (at the time) + the heaviest base (at the time), why wouldn't the current heaviest figure (ff.com) + the lightest base (standard rookie) be allowed, if THAT is the ONLY combination and with the aforementioned clause?

Bottom line, I know I'll have to play within the ruleset of my league, but this just made me go, "Hmmmmmm???"

What say you?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I say, if you set a limit, then any combination of figure and base should be allowed to play at that limit. That means I can use a 2.4g figure with a .8g base, or a 1.9g figure with a 1.3g base to reach a 3.2 limit. The stipulation being, all figures and bases must be glued together so that a coach can't switch bases and figures during play. If another guy wants to play with all 2.0g figures and 1.2g bases and switch them around, then that would be ok, but if I have my figures and bases glued together so that I can't switch players and bases, then there should be no problem with that. Right??? :rolleyes:
Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
JIMBO

Default A Perfect World

ONLY in a perfect world it seems, like when I was 11 and instead of playing Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Electronic Football I & II and then Coleco's Head-To-Head Electronic Football with all the guys instead of Electric Football.

Too many guys try to take advantage and expolit holes in rules. I say line 'em up and play. EVERYBODY can be beat and it's up to your coaching staff to figure it out. If everybody is made privvy to all of the enhancements we could do to our guys to increase their weight, increase their speed, etc, then we should be able to choose what's best for our team i.e. 1 BB, 3 BBs, 1 locknut, 1 flynut, 1 fishing weight or whatever.

If I know your entire team is maxed out at 3.3, then I'm prolly not gonna go head to head with them with anything less than that on my team. How I get there shouldn't matter.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Just set a total weight for inclusiveness

Jimbo,
I've been trying to say this for a while, why does it matter how we get to 3.3g? Ravenna Al makes a good point about adhering the figure/base if either the figure or base combo exceeds 2.0 figure or 1.2 base (to combat some people's concern for cheating). If we allow TOTAL weight it is more all inclusive including FF.com figures, all 67 bigMen, custom figures, the new buzzball TTC bases, etc. When using a figure that is greater than 2.0 I've shown how to take a Miggle TTC base can be easily trimmed down to 1.0g. Heck a heavier figure is not neccissarily an advantage as a heavier base is. Its been my experience that a heavier figure is can be harder to get "balanced" and therefore can require a little more effort in tweaking. The whole point here is inclusiveness and common ground. I would like to point to the mid-Ohio EFL 3.5 total weight rule (or BEFL 3.4g) as ones that I believe don't make traditional equipment obsolte while being open to much of the great innovation that is occuring in the hobby.

If a common weight was set today my vote would be ~3.5ish even though I really do like 4.0g. Lets remember that a little miggle team beat all the big men teams this year at the Miggle tournament so people shouldn't get too caught up in a few tenths of a gram being a huge competitive advantage. In fact the Big men are something like 0.4g heavier but those nicely balanced little guys are good.

Just my 2 cents.
Joe
Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Also the LAEFL 3.3 total weight and rule set looks to be VERY inclusive I might add without extending weight to what most consider a drastic difference from "standard" equipment.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

After reading my own post I want to be clear that I am pointing out leagues THAT I KNOW OF, that play with TOTAL WEIGHT which was the basis of Jimbo's post. Also, in no way do I want to demean anyone who plays 2.0 figure and 1.2 base such as the AMAZINGLY great leagues like the GLEFL and others. This too is a great system with deep roots and a lot of support.
Joe
Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Unhappy I can't believe it!

I can't believe that there is that much cheating going on in this hobby. It's very disappointing to hear this. I guess I assumed most guys had a "wide eye innocence of youth" view of MF/EF. That is way to serious for me. I hope that the cheaters are few and far between and that they are called out and banned from various league and tournament play.

As far as weight limits are concerned, I say let the teams make weight anyway possible...as long as they don't go over the league/tourney limit. Personally I find the heavier players run better on my big board. I like a little speed in my games and some bases just can't cut it without the additional weight. Michigan Joe showed me how to weight bases a while back and it has improved my teams play. I'm still working on my tweaking skills (that's another story altogether) but the combo of proper tweaking and a little weight has made this hobby a little more enjoyable for me.

DC
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
JIMBO

Default 2 Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Joe View Post
Lets remember that a little miggle team beat all the big men teams this year at the Miggle tournament so people shouldn't get too caught up in a few tenths of a gram being a huge competitive advantage.
Joe
:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTweakFreak View Post
I don't think you demeaned anyone what so ever. -Mike Pratt
Ahem. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitchild View Post
I can't believe that there is that much cheating going on in this hobby.

Michigan Joe showed me how to weight bases a while back and it has improved my teams play.
DC
Ur in for a rude awakening, Don. In a league full of superheroes they're afraid of a lil putty on the base!!!