Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE: READ

THIS WILL BE ENTITELD ( WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE )

COACHES,

ONCE AGAIN, WHY aren't magnets allowed on safties in some leagues WHEN IT SERVES THE EXACT SAME PURRPOSE AS A SPINNING SAFTEY ON A TTC BASE. WHAT IS THE EXACT PURPOSE ?, TO HOLD HIS POSITION SO WHEN THE BOARD IS STOPPED HE CAN BE ADJUSTED TO RUN STRAIGHT AND MAKE A TACKLE. SO WHY DO SOME OF YOU STILL SAY NO. WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE HOW I CHOOSE TO HOLD MY SAFTIES.

Thank god the mid ohio league sees what i see in terms of magnet use.
once again, why say no to magnets WHEN THEY SERVE THE EXACT SAME PURPOSE. Why have a a saftey spinning around when he can just stand there naturally.

Its all the same scenario in every single game.

1)receiver catches ball

2)defensive coach picks up his safties, Beams in on the dial, turns the dial, places safety back down to make the tackle.

**WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF

1)Receiver catches ball

2)defensive coach picks up safeties, beams in on the magnet, pulls magnet off, places safety back down to make the tackle.

IF THERE IS ANY INTELLIGENT ANSWER ON THE DIFFERENCES HOW THE SAFTIES HOLD THERE POSITION AND MAKE THE TACKLE. BOY I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THIS.

This is a true what difference does it make, why do you care post. THE SAFTIES WILL BE BACK FAR ENOUGH AND NOT INTERFERE WITH GAME PLAY.

Not many coaches wait that long to thow a pass. Too far !!!!

is there any intelligent reasoning other than, " oh, well it's in our rule set "
That's unacceptable because either or is strategic in holding a position.

Realistically, if you saw your opponents safties doing either, HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOUR LIFE/GAMEPLAN. YOUR GOING TO RUN YOUR PLAY REGARDLESS.

**DO A FAST TEST, RUN A cover 2 and place a safety on each hashmark 20 yards deep. Place one on a spinning ttc and place the other on a rookie base with magnet. Turn on the board, PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IN THEM WAITING 20 YARDS DEEP FOR A WR TO HIT.

Last edited by mantaraydre : 07-29-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default IN some leagues

magnets are not allowed because if a lineman breaks free and runs into a safety ,he will not budge,unlike a real senario where the safety would probably get flattened,other than that i could only guess. but i do see your point ,

Last edited by styx : 07-29-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default ADJUSTMENTS

STYX

MOST LEAGUES stop the board when the runner gets 10 yards or so. Adjustments are made at this point, so 20 yards downfield is enough room/cushion for anything in between.

mantaraydre
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

If a lineman breaks free and runs into a safety on a magnet and is in contact with that safety when the board is stopped { on a pass play } then that is considered an illegal lineman down field in the Mid- Ohio rules.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I hear ya Andre. Some rules just don't make any sense. By the way Jeff, why would a lineman who is touching a safety be considered downfield, but a lineman who missed the safety and could be even further downfield but not touching a safety not be considered downfield? How can anyone play where the linemen that get out into the field be 'downfield' when these are just plastic figures who can't think and know that they aren't supposed to be past the line of scrimmage on a pass play? Come on, unless you put all your offensive linemen on bases that don't even move, they're bound to break free and go downfield at some point.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default my 2 cents

A magnet is like a local brick wall, unable to be moved by another figure. I personally prefer to see prongless (stationary) bases used for stand still positions such as QB or safety. While the stationary base may move a smidge, I like to think of it as part of the game. If the QB stands in the pocket a long time the stationary base may slide around a touch, and thats like happy feet. All stationary bases have a tendency to slide in one direction or another, and you can use this to your advantage if you know the direction. By the way, I find that the best stationary bases are soft proline TTC shells with the prongs clipped out because they offer some cushion to the vibration and don't seem to slide around as much.

Depending on the size of the magnet and the strength of vibration of the board, magnets can have an effect on the way boards run. Usually it creates a very local slow spot. A strong magnet on a small Tudor superbowl board can actually affect the vibration on the whole field. Players actually tend to gravitate towards local slow spots too.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavennaAl View Post
I hear ya Andre. Some rules just don't make any sense. By the way Jeff, why would a lineman who is touching a safety be considered downfield, but a lineman who missed the safety and could be even further downfield but not touching a safety not be considered downfield? How can anyone play where the linemen that get out into the field be 'downfield' when these are just plastic figures who can't think and know that they aren't supposed to be past the line of scrimmage on a pass play? Come on, unless you put all your offensive linemen on bases that don't even move, they're bound to break free and go downfield at some point.
We felt we needed some random penalties throughout the game .
It only happened 2 times last season.

Also , we do not allow magnet men , only prongless bases or a base with alittle of the blue putty. Just enough so that the player does not move.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydre View Post
STYX

MOST LEAGUES stop the board when the runner gets 10 yards or so. Adjustments are made at this point, so 20 yards downfield is enough room/cushion for anything in between.

mantaraydre
dre, i understand ,but im not the commissoner ,not every league sees it ,or plays that way, and jeff iis correct if a ol, ventures down the field that far on a passing play it should be a illegal receiver downfield.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default ALL FOR THE PRONGLESS ALSO

COACHES,

Im for the prongless also but when the board stops he cant run over and make a tackle unless you switch the figure completely which im all for also.

1)board stops

2) rule allows you to replace that stationary safety with a moveable saftey from the sidlines. This will be just like interchanging the immobile qb for a mobile qb during audibles.

shab, i think the board will always stop way before any runner gets to te saftey. Any rule should state that once the board stops anyone on a magnet must come off of that magnet. its just to hold the position.

DEFINITELY LIKE THE PRONGLESS BASE AS LONG AS YOU CAN GRAB A SAFETY FROM THE SIDELINE.it will be the same time limit to adjust as someone turn the wheels on a ttc base.

***It was never just about the magnet, its more about the safety standing there naturally without spinning.

is that duable in some leagues. As long as you place the safety in the same exact spot as the stationary safety, should be no problem.

mantaraydre
Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

MFCA Spinning or prongless!

Any good coach can see the angle of your receiver when he breaks and strategically place his "Totem Pole" in the path. It's way too easy actually as these are inanimate objects. One other thing I found quite intriguing is they can be 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. I think we play 15. A lineman firing downfield was part of the strategy here because as soon as you engated the magnet the board was stopped, the magnet replaced with the man on prongs, then play continued.

I actually like the Idea of a prongless base as it can also play off a bad block as well.

Just my thoughts!