Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 12:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default rules question

During Friday nights league game between my Bears and Coach Angelos Redskins I had my running back get turned backward and then he was pushed forward 10 yards by an offensive lineman while still facing backwards before getting touched by the defense. Does the running back get all the yards he gained or does the forward progress stop as soon as he turned backward and started gaining yards facing the wrong way? I was given the yards and won the game 9-0.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Forward Progress

Hey, give him the gain. If your RB turns backwards and you leave the board running and he gets pushed backwards then you would lose the forward progress.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default rules question

That was my point and the referee agreed. But the other coach mentioned that in the NFL games an offensive player is not allowed to carry or push the ball carrier for yards. Side note the Ref was Angelo's younger Bro Richard and I got a few calls my way. We base em up every Friday and I play Coach Richard next with Angelo refereeing. lol
Thanks for your opinion Coach!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default french rules

Personaly, when we play running situation, the RB is allowed to run until he's tackled OR he doesn't gain yard any more. I explain :

if the RB is tackled : board is switched OFF.

is the running back pivots himself and doesn't go forward anymore (= his base direction is STRICTLY to sidelines or backward) : board is switched OFF.

if the running back is blocked behind his own team (= rushing action behind a lineman, RB base in contact with another team mate rear base side), after 3 seconds with no new significant progress, the board is switched OFF.

all other possibilities are not allowed in running game, including "rugby melee" style moves.

after a few games, we tried to clear some rules, especially the ingame duration times and delays. It 's why we allow duration for each offensive play possibility.

In fact, keeping the game on a strategic aspect, most of the board switching operations should be almost only managed by a neutral referee in our gaming style

It avoids the "chess issue" in passing play, for example : On a passing play, the offensive coach can let the board ON 3 seconds max. Then, once the baord is switched OFF, he has to call the pass and choose the receiver INSTANTLY. it simulates the QB tunnel vision, where decisions are made under pressure in a sec.

etc, etc... I know it depends of the coaches playing style, but personaly I prefer strong rules and no argument and discuss during play

Last edited by the french guy : 06-14-2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: adding blabla
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default rules question

You had a referee and ,right or wrong, the referee made the call.

Another question is, who was operating the game switch? Most rules have the referee operate the game switch, if available, or the defensive coach, if a referee is not available. It is then up to them to decide when the play is over and at what point the ball carrier is declared tackled or has his forward progress stopped.

Also most rules state that NFL rules should be the guideline when rules are in question and the NFL does not allow another player to assist a runner.

Bottom line is, you had a referee and ,right or wrong, the referee made the call and their decision should be final.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Most rules have the referee operate the game switch, if available, or the defensive coach, if a referee is not available

Beleive it or not, I never thought about that possibility We always operate the board in offense. I have to try that next time
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflfanatic View Post

Also most rules state that NFL rules should be the guideline when rules are in question and the NFL does not allow another player to assist a runner.
I have never seen that in rules that I have read for this hobby, but that is just me.

In the Harrisburg BuzzBall League that situation is allowed, it IS miniature football, NOT the nfl...................How many times have you seen a run play when the formation turns into a scrum and the pile starts to move down-field and rb is turned most of the time sideways, or sometimes backward?