Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default universal base-tweaking truths

Guys,
Bill and I are working on some new bases for EF. Some of the bases are very familiar, some are stuff you never even thought of before. However, we want to get this right (these things cost quite a bit of money), so I have enlisted the help of a few GREAT tweakers to get their input.

What I am looking for, since I am nearing the end of the design phase, is a few universal truths. These are basic assumptions people have about bases. Here are mine:

1. If the prongs are wide (strong bases), the plastic must be soft and these prongs are better a little long. Additionally, wider prongs must be thinner (>.4 mm) in width.

2. If the prongs are thin (fast bases), the plastic must be harder than that used for strong bases and the prongs must be shorter to support the weight. Likewise, thinner prongs must be slightly thicker (.4 mm) in width.

3. On a TTC base, the prongs in the wheel must be thinner because they cannot be as long due to the thickness of the wheel.

4. Two prongs on each side is always better than just one (not too sure about this one).

5. Longer prongs are generally better because it is a simple process to cut them. It is much more difficult to pulle prongs evenly.

6. Prongs should be set as close to the front or back and outside of a base as possible.

7. If possible (the base does not move sideways), a base should have a forward lean. In other words, the back of the base should be higher than the front.

8. The darker the base, the more color was used and as a result the base is more stiff and less productive.

9. Bases must be in accordance with general EF standards to be successful in the marketplace.

10. A platform of 24mm is best. The smaller Miggle men will not fall off, yet the buzzball figures and Miggle big men still fit.

Questions?
1. Is it the front or the back prongs that provide strength?

2. What is it that makes a base truly fast?

3. Is longer really better? (don't worry, no one will judge...LOL)

4. Is a base more sturdy if the prongs are close together or further apart.

These are my assumptions and questions. I would love to get your input. If you think I am wrong on one of my assumptions, PLMK siting evidence. If you have things to add, please do the same. All entrys will be considered before these bases are produced, and these bases will create more options which can only help the hobby...so help me help you (LOL).

Thanks so much,
Mark Klingbeil