Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Coop

I think Beenutt is on pretty solid ground with his statements. My two cents...

(1) I think the OSU/Texas game early in the season set the stage for the OSU hype. Texas really wasn't as good as they were without Vince Young, but coming fresh off winning the championship last year made it seem like OSU was a world beater when they won that game. By the time the bowl season rolled around, it took all Texas could muster to stave off Iowa. I give credit to OSU and Texas for scheduling that game, though. It was fun to watch two traditional powerhouses go at it to open the season.

(2) I can't speak for every Michigan fan, but some of the people I talked to were more upset with the process in the final week than the justice of the result. What I mean by that is I think it would have been very fair to drop Michigan down to 4 or 5 after the loss to OSU. I don't think there was much of an outcry when USC jumped over UM in the polls when USC beat Notre Dame the next week. The jump of Fla over UM the next week just seemed manufactured. Fla's close win over FSU and Arkansas didn't seem like signature wins. In retrospect, I agree that FLA belonged in the #2 spot, but the process would have seemed more reliable if the voters had placed USC and FLA above Michigan after the OSU game.

I'm not big on the 51 day layoff theory. If that were true, I have a hunch the Big Ten powers that be would find a way to stretch the season out a few more weeks, perhaps by starting a week later and including a bye week for each team.

You have to give credit where credit is due, congrats to Florida and the SEC. As for the Big Ten, I can't wait to see how the Wisconsin Badgers do next year. After beating Arkansas, they seem stronger than I thought they were. Especially with a first year coach. It will also be interesting to see if UM and OSU are able to rebound after two tough bowl losses.