Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Photo Gallery of Miniature Football
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2010, 09:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Gridiron painter...

I tried your techniques you described in your "STEPS TO PAINTING" thread and wanted to see if this was right or close...I base painted the figure..the purple jersey, white pants,and skin tones...then i inked the WHOLE figure...then i re coated the base colors again...then i highlighted the jersey, pants and skin tones. last i added decals and final touches like taped hands etc.

ALSO....how do you do white jerseys??...i tried but the inks turn it a ugly brown..then when i try to touch up it cover over the inks and looks funny...nothing like yours...any help with the whites would be appreciated.

Figure.. Jennings
paint..Apple barrel
decals...Beenutt
customizing and painting.. Rick G

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by Pirate Rick : 08-15-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default looks good

Sorry to not answer sooner. I had to take my kids school shopping.

I really like the pose. Your skin tones look good. I think that a matt varnish would make the tones blend together, but if you prefer the glossy figures then I understand. Nice color on the helmet too. The only thing that might need some contrast are the thigh pads. I would just paint them grey, then paint the raised areas white.

I know that the whites are the hardest thing to do using the brownish ink. I usually use a grey to paint in much of the white area, leaving just the darkest creases with the brown. I then paint the tops of the shoulders, the neck line, and a just few of the wrinkles on the sleeves and torso with pure white.

I can teach anyone the techniques, but everyone has to find thier own way to use them. I think you are getting it, as I can see that you were using highlights and the ink. You understand the method, and you will improve each time you paint.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default nice

sweet looking figure.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks for the tips..and the encouragement..

i tried using grey paint on another test figure...i painted it base white....used grey paint and thinned it into the wash and covered the figure...the touched it with white again. the results were very subtle...almost hard to see...then you place the figure slightly out of the light and the shading jumps out...so maybe thats what i will do for white.

I also tried white and washed with blue ink then touched up...the results are more dramatic...not subtle at all..so i dont know..i guess it is just how much shading i want.

but again thanks.. i will post again with another figure when it is done if you dont mind being the teacher/judge.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Finding your own

method is the key. I have done so many different techniques, and I still change everytime I do a different team. You will find what looks good to you. When I teach in school I call it finding your aesthetic standard. I look forward to seeing more of your figures, and I'll be glad to offer anything that might help.