Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default What are the things you like and disalike about your solitaire league?

1. I tried pass simulation for a quarter and did not particular care for that. I know it is suppose to be a fair system to use that but for me, I like to try to keep my skillzzzz sharpened as a passer and I like to actually see all the apparatuses of the game utitlized. Also, it's just something special about putting the pressure on yourself to hit a critical pass and having to live with the throw.

I was talking to Greg Hardmon about a few misses I had for one team the other day (the Browns) and how Bradshaw was hitting passes (even though he had 3 interceptions). His words was simple, "That's just the breaks of the game".

2. I like utilizing a playbook with the defense set up in advance and then setting the offense to whatever the playbook (100 plays) call for. It is a little longer than without it but there is an element of surprise.

3. I tried the FG simulation by shaking the box and having various distances tell me whether it is good or not. Did not like that. I like seeing that kicker attempt those kicks and must hit it. It brings excitement at the end of a ball game with the score tied. That's why I play the game.

4. I love touch anywhere because in 100 plays, you get great rushing stats. Backs are able to run 25 times and the averages are pretty good. Sometimes backs will go crazy but for the most part, the good backs average about 5 yards per rush. If I did it any other way, backs would probably be averaging 15 yards per carry.

5. I like having the stadiums, cameras, and all the hype. It keeps me excited!

6. I like interaction among others who are interested in what I am doing. I just want to inspire others to play the game and see that solitaire is A-Okay!

7. I have not liked having to paint and customize so many teams to play. I wish I would have done this project many years ago. Anyhow, it is fun sometimes because I can create players I have never had and I get to study the history.

8. Being able to hop up at 3:00 am and run off 25 plays and go back to sleep. It's just something about not having to schedule things around others schedules that appeal to me.

9. The unknown-I love not knowing who will win. Every team I am making, I honestly love so there is no favs.

10. Finishing a game is something I like a lot because I want to enter the stats so bad and get started on that next game!

Reg
Old 09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I have to say that I have enjoyed seeing the season come together... I was surprised as how close the race for the playoffs was. it was cool to see..

I also like that there are no timelines. I am back in school and with my classes and readings I wont have time to get back to it for a while... but the Semi-finals will be waiting when I am ready!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default This one point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Rutledge View Post
8. Being able to hop up at 3:00 am and run off 25 plays and go back to sleep. It's just something about not having to schedule things around others schedules that appeal to me.

Reg
is the one that does it for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 PM
MFCA MEMBER

my biggest dislike, is setting up the dang men EVERY play
Old 09-17-2010, 12:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

There's a lot to like about playing soliaire. But to get to your question about what I like about my league is this:

I like that all me teams are relatively equal. The difference betweenn the first place teams and the last place teams is very small. A break here or there and a team with a 1-5 record could just as easily be 5-1 instead. It's not uncommon for team A to beat team B. Then watch team B easily beat team C, but when A and C play, C comes out on top. Go figure??

I like that my teams all have different personalities, no two are alike. Some seem to crack under pressure, others seem to thrive on it. I may have a team that is hot for a few games, then suddenly nothing seems to work for them for some reason or another. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

For the most part I like the rules that I play by. They are simple and fair to both sides.

I like knowing that nobody else has teams like mine. There are dozens of Cowboy, 49ers, Steelers etc., but there's only one Sasquatch, Mennonites Third Reich etc.

What I don't like about my league is that it takes a long time to play one game. I like having 80 plays in a game for all the same reasons Reggie does, it gives more realistic stats. But having to set up both sides all the time makes the games a bit long.

I wish my teams had better defenses. I've been using dice and a chart to set them up, but many times the defense just isn't the right call for what the offense sets up in. I think next season I will be the defensive coach and use charts for the offense to see how that goes.

I wish I had a field cover for each team so that they could all play on their own home field. Someday when I win the lotto.

Lastly, I wish I could paint my Fairies players without them 'pitching a tent' Last time I had to put a picture of Janet Reno in front of them to 'keep their rockets from launching', if you get my drift.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

What I loved about the one solitaire season I did (2001 ECFA - Kentucky wins national title), and the two I'm about to do (2010 ECFA - 14 teams; and 2010 EPFA - 4 teams), is the unknown. I tweak the bases so that they run. I don't care how strong they are, I don't care if they turn 50 yards down field. Run for a bit, your hired. Each team will get what they get, and the unknown is seeing how those matchups play out as the season develops, especially in the pro league, where everyone will play each other (not the case in my college league).

I'm not sure there's anything I don't like - maybe all the setup, there's a lot I have to do to get the league off the ground and going, and I'm looking forward to just playing the first game this weekend, but once I get that first game underway, it's all going to be worth it.

ECFA:

East: Syracuse, Clemson, Virginia, Florida, Florida State, Kentucky, Purdue.

West: Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Illinois, BYU, Oklahoma.

EPFA: (all teams using 1973 rosters).

Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, San Francisco.

Roo
Old 09-17-2010, 04:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Of note, the ECFA is using 2010 depth charts with 11 offensive players in dark; 11 defensive players in white. I did them up according to their base offensive/defensive formations (so some teams have 1 RB/3 WR, while others use a FB). If they have the 3 WR set up, they will pass more. Working on offensive/defensive play charts tonight. I mentioned in the other thread the dice system I'm using for determining passing opportunities. On runs, when the ballcarrier reaches the line of scrimmage, the board is stopped and all unengaged defenders get to pivot.

The EPFA, as I noted, has 1973 rosters. This is going to be a time-travel league. The rosters will change each season, with 1974 seeing two expansion teams. Seniors from the ECFA will go into the draft, as well as 1974 rookies from the 6 EPFA teams. So a John Stallworth might end up on Denver. Them's the breaks. The pro league rosters are for the most part 15 offense (dark) and 15 defense (white).

Timing will be 40 seconds per play, unless it's a play where the clock stops, then it will be 15 seconds. Late in the half or game, a team can go in the hurry-up, where plays will be :20 & :08.

Ed