Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 01:29 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My Grown-Up Christmas Wish

I feel a bit like Jerry Maguire here - late at night...and I'm going to write something that maybe I have no business writing - but it is my Christmas wish for the EF Hobby and 2011.

My wish is simply a loss or two for Vince Peatros.

Why would I say such a thing? Don't I like the guy? Actually that's quite to the contrary - I like Vince a lot. Any time I've talked to him I've found him engaging and he's tweaked up some excellent bases for me. My good buddy Greco waxes poetic about the time he spent with Vince when he was out in Los Angeles.

So, why in the world would I wish a couple of losses for this good guy?

Well, when I was first in the hobby, there was a lot of jockeying amongst the top players and leagues. Each player and league had some "manhood" to defend and there were a lot of arguments to be had.

Then, as the years went on, a funny thing happened. Salty won a few championships, Raiderman won some, Norbert, Jim, Greg, Adrian, Don, Mike, etc all had their moments in the sun. But there became enough guys at the top and enough tournaments where it became a national community of top players. Guys weren't like, "oh my gosh, do you believe Norbert lost" it was "who won...oh, Adrian...nice going."

I want Vince to join that community of tournament players. Not because I want to see where he ranks, but because I feel as if he's missing out and we're missing out. Sure, I want to see how his team executes just as we all appreciate great EF, but I also want to see him smile and laugh on the board and have many of those tournament moments that we all enjoy so much. The one where you laugh and slap the guy a high five across the board.

So why would I wish a loss or two on him? Simply because then I feel he can breathe again and just enjoy the hobby like the rest of us. The legend of Coach Peatros has grown to such proportions that I think it is near impossible for anyone, even Vince, to live up to it. You're in a no-win situation.

I guess that's why I wish a loss or two on him in the next year. First, because it would mean he's playing again and hopefully enjoying the same great hobby and fellowship that we all know. Second, I think that any coach who plays this game knows that defeat is coming and once that defeat or two happens, everyone will realize that it isn't the end of the world and he can take his place among the elite coaches and just enjoy competing again. That's my real Christmas wish, but I honestly think it's going to take a loss or two for that no-win situation that he's currently in to wash away.

There, it's now a half-hour later, we've probably got another half foot of snow (I hate winter) and I've said my peace...hopefully it will be taken the right way and not go south.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Christmas

Can't we just buy you a new Packers set of ear muffs or something?

If I remember correctly Vince doesn't fly does he? He's the John Madden of Electric Football. He would need you Tom to play the role of Murdock and drug him up like they would to Mr. T on the "A" Team. They you would have to carry him on the plane and off. Either that or drive the Madden Cruiser across country for him. Either one I would love to see. That might just be my Christmas gift request.

RAIDERMAN
Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Wish

Maybe when we're both old and grey...I can be Morgan Freeman in Driving Mr. Peatros...only if I get Morgan Freeman's pipes along with the deal. I'll be sad when he (Morgan Freeman) leaves us - he's just the voice that assures us that everything is all right.

You can buy me Packer earmuffs if you like, Raiderman!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Tom....

I just got home From the House of Vince Peotros...

We scrimmaged for about 2 hrs..... tweeked bases for another 3 hrs...then just relaxed, drank some corona's, and watched rothlessberger get his nose broke...

I had seen this post and knowing i was going to see vince this weekend , i printed it and brought it with me to show him.. ( he was banned from the site so he cant look at stuff or post himself)

Vince wanted me to thank you tom for the kind words, they really meant alot to him.

We pulled out his Spartans _VS_ my Pirates and we played for about an hour , maybe alittle more and he finally said this.....

He is going to Make your Christmas Wish come true. ( well at least the playing part anyways as he is a hard player to beat)

Vince wanted me to post here and tell you Thank You for the Kind words...and that he WILL BE PLAYING THIS YEAR SOMEWHERE, even if only in some tournaments.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Pirate Rick

Thanks for sharing this Rick...I'm glad this thread didn't go south and that it was shared with the right spirit in which it was written.

I'm glad to hear that his plan next year is to play some tournaments. I hope that intention turns into reality and that he gets to experience both the joy of fellowship and competition.