Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Steelers Johnson Boots Texans Out of Tournament 23-21 (recap & pics)

Today in the NJLMFL- Where the Legends Play

AFC Wildcard Weekend Game

#6 Pittsburgh Steelers at #3 Houston Texans

This afternoon in Houston the Texans were given a strong dose of fumbleitis from the famed Steel Curtain of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Texans turned the ball over 5 times including 2 interceptions by Troy Polamalu and 3 fumbles in a 23-21 loss to the visitors from the steel city.

1st Half- The first quarter was a feel out 15 minutes as both defenses controlled the tempo of the game. Houston had one scoring opportunity that was negated by Troy Polamalu’s first of two p[icks on the afternoon. Scoreless after 1. Pittsburgh drove the ball ionto Houston territory and scored the first points of the game on a 41 yd FG by kicker Norm Johnson. Later in the quarter LB Jack Ham recovered a Arian Foster fumble on the Houston 33. One play later QB Terry Bradshaw hit WR John Stallworth for a 31 yd TD and a 10-0 Steeler lead with 5:36 to go in the half. Houston took the kick and got a big break when Mel Blount was called for a 28 yd pass interference penalty at the Pittsburgh 42. On the next play Texan QB Matt Schaub aired one out to WR Kevin Walter who took the pass in stride down the left sideline for a TD cutting the Steeler lead to-10-7 with 2:00 left in the half. The Steelers then made a costly turnover when Franco Harris fumbled on the Steelers 22 and Houston recovered. Two plays later Schaub found RB Arian Foster for an 18 yd TD and a stunning 14-10 halftime lead.

2nd Half- The Steelers took the second half kickoff and drove into Texan territory when the turning play of the game came. Bradshaw threw a quick slant for Lynn Swann but Houston DB Darrin Sharper picked it off and returned it 10 yards when Steeler TE Heath Miller stripped him of the ball and Pittsburgh recovered at midfield. Two plays later RB Jerome Bettis ran a textbook power sweep and rumbled 41 yds for a Steeler TD and the lead 17-14. The remainder of the 3rd quarter was scoreless so Pittsburgh led 17-14 after 3. Early in the 4th period the Steelers defense held Houston to a 3 and out forcing a Houston punt. Randle Antwan El returned a short punt 31 yards to the Texans 31. A pass to TE Heath Miller got the ball to the Texans 5 yd line but the Texans stopped Bettis twice and on third down Bradshaw hit Franco Harris but he was stopped at the 2. Chuck Noll decided to kick the FG and Norm Johnson drilled home a 19 yarder to extend the Steelers lead to 20-14 with 12:28 to go in the game. The Steel Curtain then went to work stopping the Texans on their next possession. Pittsburgh got the ball back and started a long drive highlited by another strike from Bradshaw to Stallworth. After an 8 yd loss by Franco Harris and a holding penalty pushed the Steelers back Bradshaw hit Franco Harris who did not get a first down but he got it to the Texans 26 which allowed K Norm Johnson to kick a 33 yd FG which turned out to be the difference. It was Pittsburgh 23 14 with 1:54 left in the game. The Texans took the ball at their own 20 after a touchback. Schaub then hit Andre Johnson in between to Steeler defenders for a first down near midfield. On the next play Schaub hit Walter on a short pass with running room. Walter was on his way to the endzone but bumped into a team mate allowing Joe Greene to catch him from behind just inside the Steelers 1 yard line. Houston then took their second time out. On the next play Schaub found Walter again for a 1 yd TD and cut the Pittsburgh lead to 23-21 with :58 left in the game. There have been many miracle finishes over the years so the sellout crowd was on their feet hoping the Texans could recover an onsides kick to give their team a final shot at victory. It was not to be. It was a poor onsides kick attempt and the Steelers easily recovered. The Steelers ran out the rest of the clock and had a hard earned 23-21 win over a stubborn Texans team. The Steelers will now advance to the Divisional round and meeting with the overall #1 seeded Omaha Wranglers.

Scoring

Steelers 0-10-7-6……23
Texans 0-14-0-7….21

1st QTR
No Scoring

2nd QTR
PIT- Johnson 41 yd FG………………………………………………………3-0 13:29
PIT- Stallworth 31 yd pass from Bradshaw (Johnson kick) 10-0 5:36
HOU- Walter 42 yd pass from Schaub (Brown kick) 10-7 2:00
HOU- Foster 18 yd pass from Schaub (Brown kick)……………14-10 :06

3rd QTR
PIT- Bettis 41 yd run (Johnson kick)…………………………………..17-14

4th QTR-
PIT- Johnson 19 yd FG…………………………………………………………20-14 12:28
PIT- Johnson 33 yd FG………………………………………………………..23-14 1:54
HOU- Walter 1 yd pass from Schaub (Brown kick)…………….23-21 :58

Turnovers- Steelers- 2…Texans- 5

INT- PIT- Polamalu (2)…HOU- Sharper.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

love how you color coordinate the bases to the teams. hope you have aqua bases for your dolphins. i really like the blackshoe look of your texans too.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I knew the Steelers would win, but didn't expect it to be that close. They may have trouble with a good defensive team down the road. How do you determine your turnovers?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I roll a 30 sided dice at the end of each play to see if a penalty or fumble happens. # 13 is a penalty then I go to my penalty chart. A fumble can only occur if the ballcarrier is down by contact.and that would be #1 at which point I go to my recovery dice to see who recovered. Interceptions come from my pass chart which has 30 different results when the QB throws the ball. The 30 sided dice allows alot of different random results. It's pretty rare for a team to play a penalty or turnover free game which is pretty much true in real football.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Another great game....

...that's a lot of turnovers from a thirty sided die. Go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

#1 came up alot in this game. #1 is also the interception number on my pass chart. Some games it hardly comes up.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Great win for the Steelers! And you know I'm thrilled to see Stallworth have a great game.

"He's like a mix of sipping whiskey and white lightning ... smoooooth, with a good strong finishing kick."

Great photos, as always.

Ed