Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Biglock

Default The EF Running Game ?

I was wondering what some of you coaches out there, do for strategy so far as running the ball are concerned, lets make this post an informational one to help everyone become better EF runners. please respond
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Hi Biglock,

Good question. As most of us know for starters the O line must control the line scrimmage. However some plays are effective because of the formation. You know my favorite play is a sweep to the weakside. If you recall a good portion of the play that I referring to has a lot to do with the formation. I would say at least 75% of the success behind that play is because of the formation. Just like in regular football an effective running game will open up the passing game.

Coach_J
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Biglock

Default Mike & Coach J

Good posts fellas but lets see if we can give some good tips like on the old Miggle so guys can have a little information to keep should they need it.

From what I have noticed in more Traditional EF styles as Mike and Coach J eluded to in the previous posts, a Good O- Line is important, but one thing that I have seen alot ( in my leaguemates as well) no one really stresses correct TTC blocking, by just settin your O-line dials up for specific blocking assignments for each lineman can be a big help, wedge blocking is cool but doesnt really free your backs up to do unique running assignments. Also a tip Pratt gave me to have backs with moderate, quick and normal speeds can also be a help to bang out a big run.

Lock

Last edited by Biglock : 11-26-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Yes Biglock Mike Pratt was correct regarding the speed of the RB's. It is easy to get caught up in speed but you don't want a RB that hits the hole too fast because that does not give the O line an opportunity to make a hole for the play to develop. Of course you don't want him moving at a snail's pace either. Also it is always a good idea to turn your dials in a particular direction on certain plays if you want the play to develop in a certain way especially on a cut back.

Coach_J
Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
OldSchool

Cool Running Game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglock View Post
I was wondering what some of you coaches out there, do for strategy so far as running the ball are concerned, lets make this post an informational one to help everyone become better EF runners. please respond
Different factors contribute to running the football:

1.) Are you playing any touch or FOB?
2.) What size board are you playing on?
3.) Does the board have a strong side and weak side?
4.) Who has the stronger team?
5.) Can the QB be used as an additional blocker?
6.) Are line splits mandatory or can you line up tight?
7.) How many backs are allowed in the backfield?
8.) Can the defense stack?
9.) Is it worth pulling lineman when the defense can see what you’re doing?
10.) Does your opponent play mirror defense? (Meaning he plays his linebackers in the same position as your backs)
11.) How often (if at all) does your opponent change up his defensive alignment, and disguise his coverage?
12.) Does your opponent change personnel according to down and distance? If so, how often?

These are just some of the things that go through my mind before and during the course of a game that help me determine how I’m going to run the ball.

Running the ball requires these simple rules…

1.) Know your team!
2.) Make linemen who can do more than just straight ahead blocking.
3.) Choose figures (stock or custom) that accentuate your style of running.
4.) Have enough running backs that run different routes to keep your opponent guessing.
5.) It also helps to have some of your backs running at different speeds (fast, faster, and super-fast) as a change of pace to disrupt the timing of the defensive pursuit.
6.) Learn to develop your ability to pre-snap read. I use two methods during my pre-snap reads.
a.) By watching the defensive formation and getting a good feel where my opponent likes to set up; I pre-turn some of my O-linemen to help widen any creases across the formation. Basically I’m just paying attention to my opponent’s tendencies, and then taking what the defense gives me.
b.) I use my center as a fixed point and divide the field into two sections. Then it’s just a matter of simple mathematics… Count the defenders in each section and then run to the area where it’s easier to put a hat on each of the defenders.
7.) Use plays that you’re comfortable with, but be flexible enough to change up on-the-fly if what you’re doing isn’t working.
8.) Stay patient. Don’t get discouraged from a few negative running plays. You have to stay with it if you want to build some consistency in your ground attack, and to keep the defense honest.

Lock… these are some of the things that enable me to have a decent ground game.

Peace,

Don
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Decal Master

In the (MPFL) mulit-stop system, we place the backs in the stationary position via magnet while the play develops. Backs have the option to run, block, or remain still. The draw play can be quite lethal.

BigLock: Call AB and talk with him about "reading" offensive line blocks and running accordingly. He explained this to me, but I have since forgotten, but he has a method of predicting with near-accuracy where to the hole will be after the first stoppage.

Last edited by Decal Master : 11-27-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Thanks Uncle Don, I could not have said it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Different factors contribute to running the football:

1.) Are you playing any touch or FOB?
2.) What size board are you playing on?
3.) Does the board have a strong side and weak side?
4.) Who has the stronger team?
5.) Can the QB be used as an additional blocker?
6.) Are line splits mandatory or can you line up tight?
7.) How many backs are allowed in the backfield?
8.) Can the defense stack?
9.) Is it worth pulling lineman when the defense can see what you’re doing?
10.) Does your opponent play mirror defense? (Meaning he plays his linebackers in the same position as your backs)
11.) How often (if at all) does your opponent change up his defensive alignment, and disguise his coverage?
12.) Does your opponent change personnel according to down and distance? If so, how often?

These are just some of the things that go through my mind before and during the course of a game that help me determine how I’m going to run the ball.

Running the ball requires these simple rules…

1.) Know your team!
2.) Make linemen who can do more than just straight ahead blocking.
3.) Choose figures (stock or custom) that accentuate your style of running.
4.) Have enough running backs that run different routes to keep your opponent guessing.
5.) It also helps to have some of your backs running at different speeds (fast, faster, and super-fast) as a change of pace to disrupt the timing of the defensive pursuit.
6.) Learn to develop your ability to pre-snap read. I use two methods during my pre-snap reads.
a.) By watching the defensive formation and getting a good feel where my opponent likes to set up; I pre-turn some of my O-linemen to help widen any creases across the formation. Basically I’m just paying attention to my opponent’s tendencies, and then taking what the defense gives me.
b.) I use my center as a fixed point and divide the field into two sections. Then it’s just a matter of simple mathematics… Count the defenders in each section and then run to the area where it’s easier to put a hat on each of the defenders.
7.) Use plays that you’re comfortable with, but be flexible enough to change up on-the-fly if what you’re doing isn’t working.
8.) Stay patient. Don’t get discouraged from a few negative running plays. You have to stay with it if you want to build some consistency in your ground attack, and to keep the defense honest.

Lock… these are some of the things that enable me to have a decent ground game.

Peace,

Don

I don't think you missed much on this one. Just add a couple more

9) edge spacing to chip/pin/block the OLB (looper) to the side you run to or cut off the backside help.

10) Be willing to run on passing downs

11) run both inside and outside and to both sides of the field. keeps the defense honest.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Coach K-LO : 11-28-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

MFCA Bump

More strategy from days gone by. Is it still relevant?
Old 02-17-2011, 03:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

of course it is still relivent.... thanks for moving this back to the top......

those concepts are dead on.... when all things are equal...

There are more things that you can do to help the run game....

... things like rollout QB

... pulling the OT or TE back inside to create the counter gap holes

... cutback running...

Now as for running traps and/or creating holes for you RB to get thru ...

well, I have talked about this before and could not find the post...so here is a new twist.....

let me break it down to the lowest concept... the players themselves

I look at little things like "helmet to helmet" matchups to find out if and how a block will happen.

Example: if you line up two players and let say player A is the blocker and player B is the defender... if 'B' lines up on the left side of 'A' helmet and 'A' is blocking to his left (towards the side that 'B' is on) will create a hole on right side of 'A'...conversely, If 'A' was blocking towards the right (away from 'B') then 'B' would win at filling his spot becasue 'A' is blocking away from him so to speak...

okay keep this in mind as we continue....

while you practice, work 2 man; then 3, 4, than all 5 linemen where you trying to create the hole...

left side players block to left..right side block to the right...center picks his side...

if you move (flip flop) left and right you get the 'wedge' blocking...so that we are on the same page...

once you "see" how the holes will open, you can then focus on the RB so that he hits that hole when it's time to hit it.......how to hit it.......
so that he can get to the otherside.......

the rest of it is forcing the defense to lineup in a defense that you can use against them...

Last edited by Coach K-LO : 02-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.