Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default big board advice needed

I'm building a 4'x2' board. I'm working with a .080 sheet of acrylic in a frame, and a motor from a new model 620 which didn't do all that hot on a 620. The sheet of acrylic seem to be conducting vibration pretty well but it seems to only power about a 1/4 of the board. I want to make sure this will work before I check into geting a motor from Joe and order a field cover. Would a larger screw and spring improve vibration to see if this works. Then there is the trought of using 1/8" thick fiber board with an eraser board finish on one side. Both options are much cheaper than sheet metal and easy to work with. Any thoughts and or advice is welcome. Thanks Brian
Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
MFCA MEMBER

If you can afford to do so go with sheet metal or pvc (just my opinion) it will take the vibration much better.

As for the motor you are trying to use, I would suggest maybe hitting up grandmasterKC for some advice. you may need to use two of them to get the necessary power.

I'd go through the board building section as well in the FAQ area and read all of the builds on there. There is a ton of advice in there.

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com
Old 02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I would definitely go with sheetmetal, the time and effort you will save by going this route will offset the cost of metal vs the other surfaces.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

i have built both fiberboard and plexiglass/lexan boards and from my own personal experience the extra money spent up front for sheet metal will more then pay itself back in longevity of the board...especially with a field cover on it which will dampen the vibrations even more. the metal, barring a major accident will last a lifetime as where fiber board and lexan have ALOT of be carefull precautions that go with them like water..heat etc.
Good luck with your build coach.