Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Sweetka,

No malice intended at all. Just throwing out thoughts. There is tons and tons of great information on this sight regarding tweaking, or any other aspect of the hobby one would want to learn about. I've spent many hours reading up on, and then applying what I've learned to, tweaking, painting, stratagy......

I guess as a newer member, football coach, and teacher, I see a link between Hoop's comments about teaching the game, growing the hobby, and making tweaking, or even advanced tweaking, more understandable to those who want to learn it for themselves and available to those who don't want to do it themselves but want to play the game with quality results.

A post like this where there is back and forth between guys who have a wealth of knowledge can go over the head of a newby like me. I have found again and again that when that occures members are more than willing to bring things down to the beggining, basic level.

Appoligeese if I cam across negatively, as though I was put out. That is not the case at all. Like said, just tossing out some thoughts and ideas.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default all kinds play here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk View Post
Great questions and points Hoop. Awsome responses Sweetka and Geno. I've been following this thread and up until now felt like there were things being left 'unsaid.' Now we have some helpful dialog going.

I agree with all points. As a relatively new member, MF'er, and tweaker I agree that it would be wonderful to be able to purchase new bases, tweaked and ready to play. I guess you can if you're willing to pay.

All the information needed to learn to tweak is here, but, unless your well versed in the terminology it can be very overwhelming. I couldn't tell a first run from an Excalibur a few months ago and I still can't tell you if the bases I'm using are first run, fourth run, SP, or something else; let alone if they should or should not get heat when being tweaked. I'm getting better but I've invested a ton of time, and what for me is a lot of money in order to 'learn' this hobby.

I'd guess I'm the exception. I'd guess, not many people are willing to do what most of us (MFCA members) do. If we want the hobby to grow we have to find a way to endeer the game itself to people who are interested but cannot or do not want to invest large amounts of time and money. People who just want to pull out their board now and then and play a game with the kids need a place amoung us. That is the key to growing the hobby as I see it.

Now I know I'm way off the topic of this thread so I'll let it go at that and see where it goes.

One other thought though. If I do by some quality, professionally tweaked bases, how long will that tweak last and what do I need to do in order to maintain/restore it over time?

Well, you are correct, if you don't want to or don't hav ethe know-how - you will pay for tweaking services. And even there, you still have a variity of selections.

I agree with Geno and Ken, Tweaking is an art form and another section of the hobby/sport that those that have it are now just beginnig to share it when they was cashing in not long ago. With that being said, tweakers will still be in the line to purchase others wears just gage themselves...or cannot get the right tweak on a base and will seek help.

Learning the skills set will require time and bases. You would be better served by cutting your tweaking teeth on some of the standard miggle bases before moving to the more costly bases while you develope you.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach K-LO View Post
You would be better served by cutting your tweaking teeth on some of the standard miggle bases before moving to the more costly bases while you develope you.
Agreed. Start with some basic cheap bases and see what you can get. Also, when I started, I purchased a strength base and a speed base from some of the more well known tweakers so that I could look at the prongs (Ken's started calling them "reeds") and see what they did and I used these as my "test against" comparable bases to see how I was doing.

I often could get good results on a brand new tweak, but the real test is if you get those same or close to same results a week, a month or a year from the time you tweaked it. That is when you know you have gotten it!

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up All good DRK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk View Post
Sweetka,

No malice intended at all. Just throwing out thoughts. There is tons and tons of great information on this sight regarding tweaking, or any other aspect of the hobby one would want to learn about. I've spent many hours reading up on, and then applying what I've learned to, tweaking, painting, stratagy......

I guess as a newer member, football coach, and teacher, I see a link between Hoop's comments about teaching the game, growing the hobby, and making tweaking, or even advanced tweaking, more understandable to those who want to learn it for themselves and available to those who don't want to do it themselves but want to play the game with quality results.

A post like this where there is back and forth between guys who have a wealth of knowledge can go over the head of a newby like me. I have found again and again that when that occures members are more than willing to bring things down to the beggining, basic level.

Appoligeese if I cam across negatively, as though I was put out. That is not the case at all. Like said, just tossing out some thoughts and ideas.
A little history:

There has been this raging debate on the value of SP's. There are some who have the Nike Jordons (First Runs) on their team. They are so rare that really on two guys have them in large supply. Start at ten bucks per base. Straight front are 15-20 from the people I know. Luckily for me I came across enough second runs, my favorite, for it to not affect me going forward!

Vince Peatros, who has recently been reinstated, had a fear of flying but he chose the plastic to be used for it's creation. About 10 bucks for 12 bases. He recently came to Miggle with a unusual tweak tool that worked perfectly for SP's. Coach Karim recently found a good duplicate that works perfectly when used in a style similar to what Vince does. Yes, it is a bit complicated but would you walk up and beat Dick Weber at bowling with a day of practice?

The short of it is that competition coaches relish the idea of not spending 100-150 bucks for bases then screwing one up tweaking. So it is important to get this info out about the tool used. It works for that base. That's the biggest hurdle. I didn't know that it would start a firestorm about tweaking.

I am a professional tweaker. It's like building a swiss watch. You have to practice but don't overtweak. Once satisfied leave the thing alone. Make adjustements with your finger then make them permanent. That's the first thing. Use your fingers then make it permanent with gentle heat.

Flashing: You should not see a difference. If you do you did it too long. Bubbles = boo boo's.