Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM
OldSchool

Cool TBA Superbowl VI, 3 years in the making...

Monday Jan 8th 2007 was a very special day for me in terms of electric football. I got to play against my son in our league’s Championship game. Our regular season ended the last weekend in July and our playoffs were played the first two weekends in August. Usually our playoffs are concluded on that second weekend, however our Commissioner had a family emergency and extended the playoffs an extra week. This caused a scheduling snafu, which in turn caused our Superbowl to be put on hiatus because the coach of the NFC Champion Dallas Cowboys would be heading off to college. Since D.C. had come home for Christmas break, the game could finally be played.

The last time I played D.C. (in an actual game) was about 3 and a half years ago in the finals of the ‘03 Minneapolis Tournament. That year was also the last time we played each other in an official league game. It was a regular season game between his Falcons and my Packers and I remember winning the game 17-14 after being down 14-0. Due to the continuous growth of our league and because I moved to the AFC to coach the Cleveland Browns, we haven’t been on each other’s schedule. The last few years in Cleveland haven’t been kind to me during the playoffs. In ’04 I lost in the second round, and in ’05 I got bounced in the first round. The ’06 season has been very good to me. I’ve gotten past all of the tough AFC coaches and put together a good playoff run so I could have the chance to play against D.C. in (what could be) his final league game ever, or (at least) in the foreseeable future.

Big Keith likes to tease me by saying that I’ve gotten bored and have been playing possum the last 2 years, but since the TBA decided to hand out championship belts lately, now I miraculously (wink, wink) find myself once again in the big game. The truth be told… the opportunity of playing against D.C. in THIS particular game, was way more important to me than winning that belt could ever be.

D.C. came up the ranks with a great crop of EFL kids like Eli Hargrave, Trey Briggs, Vaughn Lomax, Boss and Matthew Shropshire, Chris and Corey Dunagan, Gabe Bruno, Courtney Watts and Angelo Lassiter. These kids (and others) all made their marks in this hobby at one time or another. Now we have a fresh batch of teens and preteens who are following in their footsteps. The Chalmer boys, the Stoner boys, Jim Davis’s daughter, Kyle Nutt, Donte Vaughn, and Marky Klingbeil are now the das wunderkinds of our hobby. I mention this because I’m proud of the transition D.C. made from being a talented EFL preteen to a fine young adult who can coach.

I’ve watched D.C. mature as a coach over the last six seasons. Even though most of the adults in the league still call him “the kid”, we all acknowledge that he isn’t a kid anymore. He has grown up physically, and mentally; moreover, his skill level and confidence have grown as well. I like the way he has remained active in this hobby throughout middle school, high school, and now college.

As the younger generation follows his footsteps… D.C. currently follows in the footsteps of the young lions (the 20s and early 30s crowd) in our hobby like Adrian Baxter, Michael Robertson, Raiderman, Dave Campbell, Brian Healy, and a host of others. These gentlemen all follow in the footsteps of all the older guys who have made significant marks in this world we like to call electric football. It’s kind of like EF’s version of the “circle of life”.

Our semifinals featured four men known in the Tidewater area for their nicknames as well as championships. It was OldSchool (SB 1&3 Champ) and the Cleveland Browns versus Takedown (Reigning SB 5 Champ) and the Miami Dolphins in the AFC Championship

And

The Gunslinger (SB 4 Champ) and his Washington Redskins versus The Kid (06 SWB Champ/ 06 Miggle Coach of the Year) and the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Championship.

Miami held a 21-14 lead over Cleveland midway in the 3rd quarter, but thanks to the running of Greg Pruitt and 2 clutch touchdown passes by quarterback Brian Sipe in the 4th quarter; Cleveland defeats Miami 35-21.

Dallas got off to a quick start scoring on its first 3 possessions. Julius Jones and Ritchie Anderson both rushed for touchdowns spotting Dallas to a 17-0 halftime lead. That’s all Dallas would need as Washington’s # 1 ranked offense could only muster 2 field goals in the 2nd half. Dallas quarterback Quincy Carter tossed a couple of 4th quarter TD passes giving Dallas the victory over Washington 31-6.

to be continued...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
OldSchool

Cool TBA Superbowl VI, continued...

Superbowl 6 did not have the offensive fireworks that many in Tidewater (myself included) were anticipating, but the game delivered high-drama nonetheless. Cleveland opened the game by going on an 8 play 69-yard drive, ending in a missed 48yard field goal by the normally reliable Matt Bahr. The key play in the drive was a 15-yard pass from Sipe to Reggie Rucker.

On 1st down Dallas quarterback Quincy Carter throws a 14-yard strike to Terry Glenn who is immediately hit by Cleveland defensive tackle Lyle Alzado who causes and recovers a fumble on the 48-yard line.

The Cleveland offense gains 2 first downs and holds the ball for 9 plays but comes away with no points due to a stingy Dallas defense and a key sack by linebacker Al Singleton.
Dallas has the ball for only 3 plays when trouble happens. On a 3rd and 4, Carter hits his fullback Martin on the screen pass when out of nowhere Lyle Alzado hits Martin and recovers his second fumble of the day. Again the Dallas defense stiffens and we head into halftime with the score knotted at 0-0.

The 3rd quarter opens with Dallas going 3 and out. After a 45 yd punt, Cleveland takes over on its own 39-yard line. Cleveland then proceeds to go on a 6-play drive covering 61 yards, capped off by a 2-yard TD run by Mike Pruitt. The key play in the drive was a 39-yard dash by Greg Pruitt. Matt Bahr misses his second kick of the day by shanking the extra point. Cleveland leads 6-0 with one play remaining in the 3rd quarter.
My kickoff pins D.C. on his 20-yard line. D.C. uses a mixture of short runs and passes to nickel and dime me down the field. Tight end Jason Whitten and his fullback Martin were making key plays to help him move the sticks. I soon realized that he was trying to use up as many plays as humanly possible before scoring. He was purposely avoiding the quick strike plays because he was trying to force me to choose between using my timeouts, or to take my chances with my defense.

I chose to put my faith in my defense so I held on to my timeouts. D.C.’s final drive took him down to my 24-yard line. I held him to a 4th and 5 on the 24. Before the setup D.C. called a timeout before (what would have been) the last play of the game, just in case he didn’t score but managed to get a first down. I set my defense to play pass (a modified zone blitz) and to cover the fullback sneaking out to the flats. I was willing to risk the farm that D.C. was going to pass the football. That was a BIG mistake on my part. D.C. called the perfect play and scored on a Ritchie Anderson run off tackle where one of my defensive ends was dropping back into coverage. Heck, my DE was even blocking for Ritchie. D.C. hits the extra point and goes up 7-6 and I immediately call timeout. If D.C. hadn’t called his timeout before the previous play this game would have been over.

Here’s my situation… Because I saved all 3 of my timeouts I now have 1 kickoff return and three plays to try to pull out a win against a very good defense. My kickoff return man Dino Hall takes the ball out to midfield. I hit a 3-yard pass to Mike Pruitt who is quickly tackled by D.C.’s fumbleman, Dat Nguyen. I couldn’t believe I had forgotten about his fumbleman especially at this crucial time of the game. Well luck (thank heavens) was on my side and there was no fumble. Those 3 yards were key because now I was officially in field goal range at the D-47. In the TBA, field goals cannot be attempted outside of the Defensive 47-yard line. Now I’m down to 1 play and a prayer.

I put Sipe back in the shotgun and let him do what he does best. My offensive line kept the defenders at bay while my backs picked up the blitzers. Wide receiver Reggie Rucker slipped the defender and got behind the deep safety. Sipe chucked a 50-yard bomb (all in the air) and hit Rucker on the deep post. Rucker ran out at the 11 leaving one play left in the game.

I found myself in a quandary… do I attempt a 28-yard field goal with a kicker that already shanked 2 kicks including a chip shot extra point from the ten, or do I go for it from the eleven? I was about to go for it but decided to roll the dice on my kicker. I felt like the law of averages was on my side. I mean… could he really miss 3 kicks in one game? I certainly hoped not.

We have a 2 second rush on field goals; after the timer sounds you can kick the ball. The board was turned on, I heard the timer ring, and my kicker kicked the ball straight through the uprights. My Browns came back and won 9-7 on the last play of the game. D.C. gave me a big hug and was the first to congratulate me. Everybody in attendance gave us both a lot of props and congratulations. The win (for me) was bittersweet. D.C. played an awesome game and by all accounts should have won. If my fumbleman doesn’t cause 2 fumbles in the first half, D.C. may have had the lead and all the momentum in the first half. I feel that I was more lucky than skillful in that Superbowl. I could tell by listening to D.C. when he was speaking with other coaches that he really wanted to win that game very badly. He really took it to me (on the real)… when it’s possible I’d like a rematch and hopefully I won’t have to wait another 3 years to get one. I have a feeling that the next time we meet, I won’t be so lucky.

I want to thank my good buddy Steven Martin for urging me about a week and a half ago to write this post. To quote Steve, he said that it was a story worth telling. I also want to thank D.C. (who went back to school on the 15th) for taking it easy on his old man, and for playing like a champion. I had a great time!!!

Thanks for letting me ramble…

OldSchool
Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Congrats Champions

Congrats to both of you. Both of you guys are great champions in your own right and again, it was displayed again on the electric gridiron.

Don, what you bring to the game is really magical. Keep on being that unselfish leader in the game, because your efforts are well appreciated.

Yall already know how I feel about "The Kid". Just one of the nicest young men I've ever had the pleasure to meet and one of the most passionate champions around.

Keep on doing what "yall" do in the Tidewater area. Leagues like yours acts as an inspiration for others across this great land of ours.

Reg
Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
JIMBO

Default Hopefully

I don't have to wait 3 years for MY rematch with The Kid. Spring Break maybe we can get it on ARENA style!!! I'll have a few squads painted up on ff.com's so we can do some damage on the "pancake." I think I told Norbert I could do his hometown Detroit FURY as well. We'll see.

CONGRATS to 'boat-a-yous' for a battle well done.

D.C.: Do the 2nd Semester better than the 1st! Hit the books FIRST, then play. Oh yeah, get some sleep, 'cause our rematch won't be pretty! - Uncle Jimbo
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
19Alworth71

Default The "Kid" goes off to a "little college" called

" NOTRE DAME! " Lets review He's good at EF And he plays a real good game of live Baseball,Lets see he has smarts, Athletic skills with the look and personality;Hey does the name 'Derek Jeter' ring a bell.Except Derek does'nt play EF(that we know of)and Derek does'nt go to Notre Dame!YOU GO DC!!!
Congratulations Don on your game and your son.
Erick
Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks for sharing uncle Don!!

I am glad that someone got to you and made you open up.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Don

A Big Congrats To You Don, It Fill's So Good To Called Champ,
You Are Right Stevs Is The Best When It Comes To Friends,
Hes One Of A Kind.

Your Friend Jim Davis

Ps; Tell Dc To Keep Up The Good Work,
I Hope You Can Come And Play In The Greatlakes Efl One Day,
With Steve M, Pat M, Will S, And Myself
Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
OldSchool

Smile Thanks my friends...

Reg, Jimbo, Erick, Lolo, Jim, and all who have called or pm'd me...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Peace,

Don