Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Its all about width, not length

...of the playing field (what were you thinking?). When it comes to strategy and style of play, I feel that the board width has far more significance than length, here is why:

Playing on a speedier and wider new 308 board (~21.5" wide as compared to ~17" for my slow 620) I saw a dramatic change in play. The wider board allows for devastating wide runs, yet at the same time the field is greatly opened up for a MUCH higher % of recievers burning past DBs, resulting in the need of a revised strategy for pass defense. I find myself having to play a lot of "2 Tampa" (2 deep safties) and I'm working on more corner back zones as well.

I see that many of the highly respected EF fields are speedier than ever and are now playing at greater than 21" and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed any differences with strategy when it comes to a wider playing field with greater board speed. I really love the way the wider board plays and the challenges it creates for defensive coaches.

Open forum, I would love to hear some viewpoints or experiences with how the board affects strategy (and even potentially the setup of your rules).

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default you are correct....

wider is better for most playing styles.

it opens the field to allow you room to work....

you have to change some aspects of your team to be successful on the big boards.

Megawatts field and reggie's 308 are great for these reasons. The more you play on a large field, the more 'tight' the smaller boards become.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Current Subject

I have found out that the size of the field has a lot to do with the style of play.

Part of football is space , and the current field size hurts the game . There is a reason why the game is played on large field , and so it should be with this hobby .

I have found out that each position on the field must fuction on its own ability like in real football when played on a scale size boaed .

The view of this hobby must change , the current board size is good for arena football , but not for the real game it self .

When the WR runs a 9 rout to clear out an area so the TE can run an out , this is clearly seen in real life , and on a scale size board , but is greatly hendered on a small board . Thus the play style must adapt to function on a little board , and hurts the game of football .

A scale size board brings out all the elements of football , you can't stack your players , you have to defend the player, and an area of the field .

The SS's have to either defend the pass 10-12 yards off the ball , or defend the run 7-8 yards off the ball . You cant do both !

Size of the field , and style of play both go hand in hand .

Last edited by Anthony D Burgess : 02-02-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I agree with anth

Bigger boards are ideal at this point in the hobby, i love reg rutledge 308 boards. They are very spacy and allows you to create a nice play. I think it's brilliant that we are at a point in this hobby where your defensive players must stick to their assignments and play a specific area of the field. This game is so exciting when you see a player break free for a long run via a sweep or incredible blocking. I personally have seen some exciting things in this hobby from THE GREAT REG RUTLEDGE, ANTHONY BURGESS, SMITTY RAVENS, COACH RIP, ETC ETC. THEIR IS NO REASON NOT TO HAVE BEAUTIFUL TEAMS, BEAUTIFUL FIELDS AND INCREDIBLE STYLES OF PLAY.
We have the worlds greatest inventors as our friends right here and many of us are not taking advantage of their greatness for some reason.

Their are styles of play that will force you to become a bonified head coach (THE MPFL, THE TEXAS SHOOTOUT) We should all learn and embrace these, these are new levels that must be explored. I personally dont think these two styles are getting the billing they deserve. Im very curious to here why these styles are not embraced like others. Just a diplomatic answer without debate or harsh attacking thoughts on the subject.

I would like to know
1) Is it too fast
2) you just dont like it
3) you dont understand it
4) would you like to see further demonstration
5) Is it that your so use too doing things the way they were done years ago, you just feel more comfortable in a style you already know.
6)If you have not bought the MPFL OR THE TXSO DVD, IS IT THAT YOUR NOT INTERESTED AT ALL OR IS THE PRICE TOO HIGH
*** We have the most talented makers of product at our fingertips, let them know what it is you as a coach is looking for in our great hobby that will make you say. o.k i'll try this.

three questions

1) WHAT KIND OF FIGURES AND DECALS DO YOU WANT AND WHY ?

2) WHAT KIND OF FIELD DO YOU WANT AND WHY ?

3) WHAT STYLE OF PLAY IS YOUR VERY FIRST CHOICE AND WHY ?

***REMEMBER/ NO DEBATES, NO HARSH THOUGHTS, JUST YOUR HONEST DIPLOMATIC OPINION.

NO LONGER IN JAX/ DRE BACK ON BROADWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mantaraydre : 02-01-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Every One Should Have One

Size does matter , how big is yours ? That 's Funny LOL !
Attached Images