Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default To be able to watch.....

When I was first introduced to competitive play by accepting an invitation to watch a Harrisburg league game at a Denny's. I thought that my ability to play was just not in the cards. I watched Raiderman and George Diamond play in two different games and I really could not believe how far the game I played as a kid had come. How was I going to play like that ?
I gave myself a chance, and for a year I went to events starting with the Migglle event in Pittsburgh and watched from the sidelines. I slowly began to piece it together and in one year was confident enough to play against someone else.
I went to my second Miggle Convention in Baltimore and entered the tournament. I anxiously put numbers on my Giants team, and then went down to the event and took my place at the game table I was issued.
I put out my guys and then I see my opponent. I asked him " what are you doing here"? Are you telling me I am playing you ? How is that ? He just said " just get your guys ready , we have to get playing, we are on the clock.
I realized then that I was the lowest seed in the place. I was playing Norbert, who was the previous years world champion. What a way to start.
He actually went easy on me. Really , I was actually honored to be playing him or having some men on the field with his team. I really don't think I was playing much in that game. I was in awe . I thought you should work your way up, but I started right at the top. I am glad that I did not win by some fluke , I learned by watching him set up his men and how he just flowed in making decisions. He had something I could emulate. I have now seen this in so many coaches that I would be a fool if I thought I could name them.

I write this about my experience today.
I had the chance to run " camp " with my friend Coach Karim . We are both in the NHFL post season play and today we practiced together. Sort of a scrimmage and sharing session. Karim was back from his first exposure to tournament play at Buzzball last weekend.
In the prelims ( to determine seeding in the tournament ) he was given the chance at a good seed by meeting none other then Big Keith and Jim Davis in consecutive games. He, I , and everyone else knew his deck was stacked a bit high.
No, he did not win the prelims, no trophy, but he survived. He faced other seasoned veterans and came away with the best thing anyone can have. He got experience and the chance to watch others do what we aspire to do. To coach, and coach with style and confidence.
I played him today and the difference in his game was obvious to me. He set up better, made decisions better, and knew the direction he wanted his team to go in as far as strategy.
He threw with confidence, set up on sides EVERY play, and made it a most enjoyable time for me.
I enjoy this game a lot. I enjoy so many of the coaches who play and share their experience with others to make the community a stronger coaching environment. I really think it is great to see someone else whom I met on a message board like this, become what he set out to become. A coach with confidence and style.
Without fellowship being the cornerstone of our hobby, this does not happen. With me it started with a hand extended by Raiderman, and in play coaches like Norbert who encouraged me rather then beat me into the ground.
Thanks all of you coaches who understand the meaning of BROTHERHOOD and for those who are confused between this and just winning, Open your hearts and minds and watch. You just might see that something is happening beyond the buzzing of the boards.

What a great day.

Rock Solid
Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Solid View Post
When I was first introduced to competitive play by accepting an invitation to watch a Harrisburg league game at a Denny's. I thought that my ability to play was just not in the cards. I watched Raiderman and George Diamond play in two different games and I really could not believe how far the game I played as a kid had come. How was I going to play like that ?
I gave myself a chance, and for a year I went to events starting with the Migglle event in Pittsburgh and watched from the sidelines. I slowly began to piece it together and in one year was confident enough to play against someone else.
I went to my second Miggle Convention in Baltimore and entered the tournament. I anxiously put numbers on my Giants team, and then went down to the event and took my place at the game table I was issued.
I put out my guys and then I see my opponent. I asked him " what are you doing here"? Are you telling me I am playing you ? How is that ? He just said " just get your guys ready , we have to get playing, we are on the clock.
I realized then that I was the lowest seed in the place. I was playing Norbert, who was the previous years world champion. What a way to start.
He actually went easy on me. Really , I was actually honored to be playing him or having some men on the field with his team. I really don't think I was playing much in that game. I was in awe . I thought you should work your way up, but I started right at the top. I am glad that I did not win by some fluke , I learned by watching him set up his men and how he just flowed in making decisions. He had something I could emulate. I have now seen this in so many coaches that I would be a fool if I thought I could name them.

I had the chance to run " camp " with my friend Coach Karim . We are both in the NHFL post season play and today we practiced together. Sort of a scrimmage and sharing session. Karim was back from his first exposure to tournament play at Buzzball last weekend.
In the prelims ( to determine seeding in the tournament ) he was given the chance at a good seed by meeting none other then Big Keith and Jim Davis in consecutive games. He, I , and everyone else knew his deck was stacked a bit high.
No, he did not win the prelims, no trophy, but he survived. He faced other seasoned veterans and came away with the best thing anyone can have. He got experience and the chance to watch others do what we aspire to do. To coach, and coach with style and confidence.
I played him today and the difference in his game was obvious to me. He set up better, made decisions better, and knew the direction he wanted his team to go in as far as strategy.
He threw with confidence, set up on sides EVERY play, and made it a most enjoyable time for me.
I enjoy this game a lot. I enjoy so many of the coaches who play and share their experience with others to make the community a stronger coaching environment. I really think it is great to see someone else whom I met on a message board like this, become what he set out to become. A coach with confidence and style.
Without fellowship being the cornerstone of our hobby, this does not happen. With me it started with a hand extended by Raiderman, and in play coaches like Norbert who encouraged me rather then beat me into the ground.
Thanks all of you coaches who understand the meaning of BROTHERHOOD and for those who are confused between this and just winning, Open your hearts and minds and watch. You just might see that something is happening beyond the buzzing of the boards.

What a great day.

Rock Solid
Thanks Ed.. I appreciate the story.. that's really what it's about..
Good luck at the NHFL playoffs..
Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default great report

Thanks Ed for sharing the good stuff on the hobby!!

I am sure that Coach Campbell will be just as happy to know that things are improving...like it should with time and patience!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I To Feel The Same Way

Everything you experieced in gaining confidence to play, i felt the same way. Last weekend was also my first competitive play after watching for 3yrs. and to have Adrain Baxter and Pat Morris, along with MANY other guys who i thank, show me some things, it gave me confidence to get down more often. Looking forward to the next Miggle convention.

Sharing and caring, that is what it is all about.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:13 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Cool Thanks Coach Ed....

I am honored and yes it was heart felt and a mutual feeling reading this post. I humbly thank you and all the EF Coaches that have and will continue to mentor me as well as educate me on the EF way of life. You Coach Ed and my other Brothers in EF get great admiration, respect and thanks......I got a long way to go and yes I too had a ball yesterday as well as the strategic lessons I picked up and fellowshipping at Buzzfest.
Quote:

What a great day.

Rock Solid

Last edited by GrandMasterKC : 04-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Tron1984

Default Another Mortal Reaches The Realm of Tron!!!

Superb,
I'm really pleased to hear that peoples first experience when returning to the hobby is a positive one. It's the only reason I stick around. There is real fellowship in this hobby and there all a lot of good people. Please continue to share the goodness you received with someone else and we can keep this hobby going strong!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up You my friend....

...have captured it quite well. Thanks for the comments.

Quote:

What a great day.

Rock Solid