Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Coach

Default Beating a team with stronger bases

Hey guys,

I thought we might try a new thread regarding EF strategy. This one sure would help many a coach out there. I think nearly everyone has faced a team with bases that are stronger than their own and found it frustrating to move the ball on offense, especially running, and also found it very difficult to stop their opponent from running the ball down their throats. So, what are some plays that can be used to nullify that advantage...and maybe use the opponent's strength against him?

One idea I am working on is using trap plays. Actually pull a lineman out of line and allow the defender in....particularly a dominant D-lineman.....and then try to run at the gap you created. It seems to me that will require good timing and a running back either set back a little deeper than usual, or with a slower base. The problem than is the loopers getting to you before you hit the hole. I think that you could kick out your tackles to work on this...perhaps by pulling them as well....or putting them on ITZ dials and sliding out. This might create another hole to fill though, but many folks don't put a D-lineman over the tackle in EF.

Another thing that might work is to use misdirection. You could put a back on an ITZ base and point him to a gap hole to get the D to cheat to that gap...and then actually turn the dial to get him to arc either way outside for the corner, or to another hole....or you could use a regular dial set to run backwards to get your misdirection....or even put the base on backwards...

For the pass game, try to get a QB on a good TTC base, or even an ITZ dial. Have the QB use his mobility to go to unexpected spots in the backfield to avoid loopers and dominant D-linemen. The QB might then find some good open field to run in as well.

Any other thoughts??
Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default To negate strength to a certain point....

I remember my first year got blesed after a 0-2 start to get some power draft picks for my O-line and i had the power. The coaches started sending loopers in on me and I later learned to coach the team with and or w/o my power line. when i faced stronger lines I learned to execute my LB in a specific order and task. I also attack the o-line on angles to offset the push of power. It takes time sitting and studying the possible outcomes and taking pics of games at tourneys before/after to see what works and what dont and add your spin to it. This year I have had the pleasure of hitting the grideron with a couple of legends in EF and I realized that it takes a combination of speed, power, finess, style, reads pre/post, passion, wisdom, risks, focus, sportmanship, and.......Coaching to be a competitor against any type of O or D.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

If your league allows bully ball, it is very hard to stop unless you have comparable bases. If not, then a little creativity goes a long way. Like the previous post, use loopers to cause havoc in the backfield.

You can negate their strongest player by simply not lining up in front of him. Use angles and send blitzes from places your opponent won't expect. Learn to control the game by conning your opponent into doing what you want. He will think he's beating you, but really he'll be playing into your hands.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Remember this..........

Speed kills!

Each One Teach One!
DSEFL
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Beating a team with stronger bases

Beating a team with stronger bases YOU CAN'T, IF YOU DON'T HAVE STRONG BASES YOU SHOULD GET SOME FAST VERY FAST.
OR TRY TO PASS EVERY PLAY.
DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN,
IF YOU NEED SOME STRONG BASES GIVE ME A CALL. THANKS
JIMMY DAVIS
313-300-1214
Attached Images

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE YOU AIN'T ME
I'M JIMMY DAVIS AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default the question that you asked....

....can be answered in many ways. Of course you want proven answers and there are some, but for the most part, you may not get the types of answers that will help you.

it is not so easy to type up good responses to a in depth question. You can approch your problem in many ways. Being faster is one way, but what if your opponent is just as fast??

It's hard to give a straight answer because some may view it as a "be-all/end all" to handling a stronger team. or league rules/guidelines made it easy to be bullied..

Here is one way to stop a power run - allow blockers to clear and with speed, slid in behind them before the runner gets to the POA (point of attack) or the hole he was going to.....

the defense is strong up front (d-line) then use finese to create running lanes by using the TTC base like it was intended - turn to wheel to create blocking patterns on the o-line that (back in practice) the RB would cut up into....

or run more to the edge of the defense (where there are less defenders anyway) to slow you down.