Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Christmas-What should the new coach purchase for his kid?

I have been getting a number of new people contacting the MF site and are wanting to buy something for their kids for Christmas. These guys all have the same story which we all know very well..."I had one as a kid and I want my kid to have one"

What should they buy their child so that they will have a good experience and the game doesn't take a penalty to the closet?

My opinion is a Rose Bowl set and a set of Tweaking pliers...what's yours?

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default New Coach

1) A collectors edition Weirdwolf autographed trading card (all proceeds going to the MFCA of course)

2) Rose Bowl set or an ebay board to get started

3) I'd buy them a set of tweaked bases...not high end yet but just something so that they have a starter set...there's lots of guys here who can get you started there.

4) I'd have one of the painters paint a quick starter set of their favorite teams with the caveat of knowing that they'll end up doing their favorite team again sometime later when they really get into it and know what figures, etc they really want. By doing a favorite team of 11 guys they're playing the guys they love.

5) None of this has worked with my kids
Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTom View Post
1)

3) I'd buy them a set of tweaked bases...not high end yet but just something so that they have a starter set...there's lots of guys here who can get you started there.
This would be a good thing for some tweakers to offer. A set of 22 bases tweaked not for competition but for a kid starting out. some speed, straight, a couple of loopers etc.

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default A few items

1. an mfca membership for dad and son
2. an mfca 2009 calendar
3. all the back issues of the tweak
4. an invitation to a league style game in his area
5. the Rose bowl as you stated
6. a nice set of tweaking tools

I would tell them that the investment of the game is a great thing but that joining the mfca will assure them ( father and son ) that they can and will be guided on how to get the most out of the experience.

If they go out and buy the game and not the insurance of an mfca membership, the closet or attic or basement will be calling soon.

I realize that they don't have to join to get help, but I think it would be neat to get that as a father and son.

RS
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Most important, get an 11 man squad of their favorite teams. Tweaked bases and a Rose Bowl board to start.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Good idea!

Especially the tweaked bases. We gotta remember to view this through the eyes of a kid, NOT our own. My guess is that if a kid gets a good running board, some bases that run fairly well and their favorite team then there is a good chance of capturing their imagination. If not, then all of the other points made in this thread are moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CASTLE HiTMEN View Post
Most important, get an 11 man squad of their favorite teams. Tweaked bases and a Rose Bowl board to start.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Maybe a TDQ would be a good thing to add. I know that for my 5 year old he can throw a pass with it as opposd to the TTQB even though with my son we use sticks most of the time.

There should be a not in every Rose Bowl set with instructions on how to adjust your base for direction and how to make a base move forward. You give them that much, and they will do much better at sticking with the game.

—Idiom

Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
hennedup

Im one of the dads that had this game as a kid and now want to get my son one for Christmas. I see on the miggle web site that they have the rose bowl game. My question is what is the 620 board or is that the same as rose bowl game. Also does somebody on here paint the Nfl teams. One last question is Ive also seen some custom boards is this something that just lays on top of the game. I can see this turning into a new addiction. Thanks for any replies.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Hi There,

Greetings to you my friend. My name is John but I am better known on the chatboard as Coach J. This is your first post so let me say welcome to the chatboard and hobby welcome BACK to the hobby. You have come to a good place to get your miniature football questions answered.

Here is an to your questions.
1) The 620 board is longer and wider than the Rose Bowl board and most coaches play on the 620 gameboard.
2) Yes there are coaches on this chatboard who paint NFL teams. I will send you a Private Message and give you the names of some of the coaches who paint teams. I have used the coaches who I will be recommending.
3) Custom boards are boards that people make on there own. The custom boards are longer and wider than the 620 boards. You would have to find someone to make them for you. I will include the names of people who make custom boards in my Private Message.

Just for your information I noticed that you live in Virginia. I am good friends with a coach who lives in Virginia. Where in Virginia do you live ? I will contact my friend and ask him to connect with you.

Have a good day, check your Private Messages, and again welcome to the MFCA chatboard and welcome BACK to the hobby.

John aka Coach J