Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
JIMBO

Default Lomax and DM

Lomax: How could they "squeeze" the line 2gether if they had to lineup within the spaces on the Strategy Divider. Also, had most of the coaches used the short-side/wide-side more "strategically" they coulda/woulda had an opportunity to run wide on every play.

DM: There are already bigboard makers out there that have invested their own money in creating ample sized boards and they now offer them at somewhat reasonable prices for the amount of time it takes out of their personal lives.

Also, since creating life-like rules for Electric ARENA Football and having all the choices below available to me to "make the game more scale-like" I had to consider the key ingredient - at least where ARENA is concerned - and that is SCORING A HUNDRED POINTS PER GAME! Sure the 620 is the most to scale board mass produced, BUT high scores don't translate on that board as much as it does on the old-fashioned Model 500. Sure the guys look scrunched up, but the key is to score and score often. I think that gets lost when we try scaling the boards to the guys.

If most figures measure 1" and represent a typical 6' man which equals a 1:72 scale ratio. Do you really wanna play on a 5' x 2.2' (60" x 26.7") field just to be life-sized? That's A LOT of zone to cover!!! 1st downs and scores would be miniscule, I think. Anyway, here's a list of the boardmakers I know of.

*RR and his ff.com boards sell for $300 and the tops can switchout to drop in different teams: HUGE advantage as opposed to having several different boards stacked around the house. I had the pleasure of seeing 20 of these beaut's humming at me and Don's 1st Tourney back in June in VA and I must say, it was a treat. On top of that, they played like fiddles and there were very few complaints about their playability.

*buzzball's wood and metal tabletop is $500: strong enough for his son to sit on, although I don't know if it would be diaper-proof...??? I haven't played on one yet, so lil info from me available.

*Bill Porche's field of dreams monster boards are all powder-coated steel and sell for around $650: steep price, but they're worth every penny IMHO; tailgate worthy and darn near weather-proof.

*megawattz makes all wood monsterboards but it's been awhile (AJ's 2003 College Tourney ) since I inquired on his pricing or played on one.

*Mark Kistner makes (made) boards but I have no info on them.

*Lastly, Jerry McGee published a how-to on making monsterboards for those who like to DIY.

The way I see it is, there are more than enough choices already.

Last edited by JIMBO : 11-21-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
TheTweakFreak

I love the big board aspect. I especially like the "true scaled" version of 1/2" = 1 yd. I like 3/4 scale too and I am also down with a 620. I prefer the true scale boards though.

As mentioned by Jimbo, we have quite a few choices to purchase bigger boards and we are free to make our own as well. One thing that is important to consider is if you ever plan on traveling with the beast. While it would be great to adopt a true scale board as the most accepted size for the masses, who will pack it up and roll with it? Can't take it w/you on a flight. Will have to disassemble it to put it in your vehicle unless you own/rent a very large vehicle. In short, it would be tough to take and use your home field to an outing where you had the option to utilize it. How many organizations or event hosts would/could pony up for a room full of them for a given event. How much would the room cost to hold them (it would have to be a massive room to hold 16 or more with room to play, walk, and for spectators).

Again, I love and prefer true scale boards over all others. But practicality and compromise have to enter into the picture somewhere - even before economics. Whichever you choose, it is not a wrong decision as long as it suits your personal needs and you enjoy it. I know I do. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying smaller scaled boards either.

Long Live The Beasts Called Big Boards! They WILL change your gaming experiences.

-Mike Pratt
Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Jumbo

Jimbo, your right, if they were using the divider correctly.....just an observation on my part when I was not playing.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Decal Master

Jimbo,

Excellent point. However, I have my own field design graphics, and parts and accessories. I am a realy do-it-yourself type of guy. I tip my hat to all those who have taken their time to do great work. I understand completely. However, that said, I am still on a mission to build a full sized board for under $250.00. Hint: I am very close. Should have something ready by year's end.

I will report the results, good or bad.