Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > Dixie League Rules
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 05:35 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Screen Pass

I'm trying to formulate a way to get my receivers open. So I'm trying to come up with the concept of a screen pass.

I want my WR to be facing back into the backfield so that when the board is turned on, he will run back toward the QB. The board will be stopped and pass thrown (sticks or TTQB).

Now, here's my question. The rules say that the receiver can't be pivoted after the catch. Is there a difference in interpretation of the rule if the pass is behind the LOS? In other words, after the catch is made in the backfield, I want to be able to pivot my receiver to run upfield after the catch. Otherwise, I'm left with a reciver who catches the ball and runs toward the opposite EZ.

It just seems that there is no provision for this type play in the rules.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Interesting??

First and foremost, welcome back, haven't heard from you in a good while...

Now, here's my interpretation of what ur asking and I thinking you're talking about Dixie rules, so I'll give my opinion on what I think you could do and then defer to Beenutt, Joel and crew...

If you pass w/TTQB, TDQ and hit the player then he/she cannot be pivoted, so ur SOL. With the sticks, and I don't use them much (although, perhaps I should) so I'm not certain...you can put the ball where ever you want at the end of the appropriate stick and pivot your player toward the ball, forward, angled, etc and if he/she hits the magnet ball no pivots from there. Of course the defense can make a play on the ball as well for an INT so one should be careful to look for any fast DB's in the area (Joel Pritchard)

That's just my opinion, let's see what the Dixie guys have to say.

Joe Ram
Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default passing

That's correct Joe. You can pivot the receiver if you use the sticks but not when you throw with the TTQB. There is no difference in the Dixie League about past or behind the line of scrimmage : the same rules apply. We have great passers in the Dixie League and "turn and burn" rules would lead to whoever has the ball last would win most of the time. Our championship game proved that from last year where both coaches were unstoppable even with the current rules in place.

beenutt
Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Yes,
Only way a player can be pivoted is using the passing sticks. He has to be pivoted before he runs for the ball.
Vince, try to be more creative making bases to get open, rather than relying on this tactic. The reason I say this is that you will usually get stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Too much speed in this league.
Use TTC bases or faster bases, dont worry so much about the big gain just get him open so u keep the chains moving.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:00 AM
MFCA MEMBER

You can have your WR going backwards on the "snap", and you can then pivot him back the other way after the snap. If he is fast enough, he should be able to get separation from the DB on the snap and them bounce off the coverage when the board is turned back on. However, if he is "covered" on the snap, then you can not pivot him. He is basically taken out of the play then.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know the teams are very fast. That's why I am looking at this strategy. If I can pivot when I use the sticks, that could work for what I want to try.

I had a blast in April, even winning just one game. Lots of fun. Now, time to work on some new ideas.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenutt View Post
We have great passers in the Dixie League and "turn and burn" rules would lead to whoever has the ball last would win most of the time. beenutt
Hey Beenut, check out my new post about the misconception of the turn and burn that I just posted in the Rules Forum. I love turn and burn, but I think it needs to be combined with a "stationary pass defense" rule in order to have the balance it was intended for. I hope you don't feel I am jumping in on your leagues posting, I just wanted to share with you my perpective of the rule because I really enjoy it.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM
MFCA MEMBER

ok, I see where I was getting confused.

Code:
The snap of the ball – Once the defense is set, the offensive coach will turn the board on for 1 second to simulate the snap of the ball. After the snap of the ball, the offensive coach may pivot any unengaged players. The time limit for offensive pivots is 15 seconds. After the offensive pivots are made, the defensive coach may pivot any unengaged players (no rover players are allowed). The time limit for defensive pivots and rover is 15 seconds. Once all pivots are made, the offense will begin the play by stating the ball carrier. If the ball carrier is directly behind the center (QB), the coach may elect to run or pass during the play. If the ball carrier is an RB, the defensive coach operates the switch and the play is run from that point.
I was thinking that you only got one stoppage, but you actually get two.
So the following should be legal...
1. Ball is snapped for 1 second.
2. Offense can then pivot any unengaged figures. So in what I'm trying to do, the WR runs back at snap of ball. If he is unengaged, I can then pivot him to be facing upfield agin.
3. Defense makes its adjustments.
4. I announce that the QB has the ball and turn the board back on.
5. When I am ready to pass, I turn the board off again to set up TTQB or sticks and attempt the pass.
6. Play resumes if pass is completed.

This is correct?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Correct Vince.