Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Misconception of turn and burn...

In my opinion there is a misconception of the turn and burn passing game and I believe it is because this offensive rule needs to be combined with a very critical defensive rule...the "stationary pass defense substitution" (see Mid Ohio rules).

I have found the turn and burn reciever COMBINED with the "stationary pass defense" rule as my favorite way to play. It creates completely new opportunities for schemes for pass defense schemes and adds an element of strategy to the passing game that I just don't see with the traditional rule sets. Traditional pass defense requires your defense lining up with 9 man lines and good pass defense requires blowing up the recievers at the line. Defending turn and burn requires depth on defense (don't get beat deep) not seen in most traditional rule sets. Turn and burn is great for designing screen passes (both to recievers and RBs), draws (and shovel passes), and pass plays designed to beat zone defenses.

Let me clarify the "stationary pass defense" rule. This rule allows the defense to substitue up to three players with stationary bases (after the pre snap audibles) IF the offense calls pass. Mid Ohio league uses this by allowing up to three safties to be placed on stationary bases (only if they are 12 yards deep), however I have persnally found that the "stationary pas defense rule" is even better if you lift the yardage restriction and allow any defender to be able to substitute with a stationary base because it allows you to play LBs in the flats, middle, which allows the defense to create even better zones being able to cover short and long zones and passing lanes. You see what this simple rule does is that it creates the opportuninty for the defense to play with some depth and allows these defenders to defend both the pass AND the run! Lets face it, without this rule one would get killed in the run game if they tried to run 4 man zone pass defenses (defenders on stationary bases or spinning on TTCs). With this "stationary pass defense" rule, you can scheme zone pass defenses by lining up defenders with various depth levels, and if the play is called run the defenders can stay on their "forward running" bases to defend the run and if the offense calls pass they can be substituted to stationary to stay in their pass zone. Bottom line, this simple rule allows defenders to play both zone pass coverage and run to the ball to tackle in the running game. To come full circle to the turn and burn passing game, defending with depth (ie the stationary pass defense rule) is critical to defending the turn and burn passing game.

In closing, the addition of "turn and burn" and "stationary pass defense" can be added to ANY traditional rule set to spice up the strategy of the passing game as I have described above.
Regards,
Joe
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I like it too, but you can do it without statonary players

Joe,

i love the way Mid-Ohio does the stationary thing, but you can do some of the same thing without the magnets.

when you are playing "turn & Burn" - the main thing you have to remember - YOU MUST HAVE YOUR FASTEST, STRAIGHTEST PLAYER PLAYING THE DEEP PART OF THE FIELD AS THE LAST MAN.

You cannot always play "bump-N-run" on the conrners because of the chance you miss - Wide open receiver and no one to make a tackle.

What you have to practice is playing zone....I think you will find this in one of the early TWEAK editions.

Sometimes we think that we should stop every play, but that is not possible every time, every game. You will have to give a little to make it work, but you gain the added present of a possible INT because you end up with guys in the passing lane, pressure on the QB which he has to throw into traffic, not just an open WR.

K-LO
Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM
MFCA MEMBER

After every season , we { Mid - Ohio } get together and discuss what rules need tweaked .
When we put the stationary safeties on the field at a depth of 12 yards, we still had some guys that used old 620's . We do not have any of that anymore and we might need to tweak the depth at which the safeties can be placed.

I know on some of the bigger boards , 12 yards can be a long way . atleast for my offense
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Joe,
I couldnt agree with you more. In the Tornado Alley we allow all three types of passing in our rules....To The Figure (adjust after the catch).....Stick passing.....and NHFL ATTAC passing. Our defensive sets resemble real football as in you HAVE to have a secondary or you are toast. We dont have the magnet rule in place but we accomplish the same idea with spinning TTC's. I prefer this method as it forces a coach to have good BASES and the BASE is what sets this Hobby/Sport apart from anything else it is our identity.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
MFCA MEMBER

when you are playing "turn & Burn" - the main thing you have to remember - YOU MUST HAVE YOUR FASTEST, STRAIGHTEST PLAYER PLAYING THE DEEP PART OF THE FIELD AS THE LAST MAN.

K-LO[/quote]

True K-lo.... BUT if you dont get pressure on the QB the speed of ths deepest man gets him out of position in a hurry. So it can hurt you as well if the Off. does a good job of protecting the QB.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Coach

Default I gotta a Stationary Prop...

My Stationary Safety's are propted on a magnet block that's easy to remove after the catch was made...
I normally use them on passing play's, when I know i'm running in my simulation league, I don't use them..
But, if i'm passing, I like to keep 2 Defensive Back's backed up 15 to 20 yards from the line of scrimmage...
You fella's gotta good point...... I like the stationary DB's to stay home on passes also..
Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
JIMBO

Default I LIKE...

...the "whatever's clever" approach. If the Defense gets 2 or 3 moves then do whatever you want to whichever 2 or 3 guys you want. Whether that be replacing them with magnet-men at "x" yards, or dead-based guys at any depth, or even spinning the dials if pass is called.