Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

PUNTS

Punts are only commenced on every other opportunity, simliar to kickoffs. The first time a team punts, a full lineup is done and the punt play is run. The next time, and every other time after that, there is no lineup and player movement, as the punt is considered fair caught.

When a punt is fair caught, one d6 is rolled. If the roll is 1-3, yardage is added to the base 40-yard punt; if the roll is 4-6, yardage is subtracted from the base 40-yard punt. After this, 2 d6 are rolled and totaled. That result, 2-through 12, is then adjusted to the 40-yard punt length based on the first roll.

On actual punt plays, both teams lineup in the prescribed punt formations. The punting team has 7 men on the line of scrimmage, and 3 gunners (2 on either side, 1 on the other). The punter is placed in the middle of the field, 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, via a magnetic referee. The defense lines up 7 men on the line, and three blockers 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The designated punt returner is removed from the field. The board is run for 2.0 seconds. If any part of any defender's base touches the magnetic referee's base, the punt is blocked and the defending team receives the ball at that spot. If not, the dice roll procedure from above is commenced. Once the punt yardage is determined, the magentic referee is placed at the punt return spot, and the 11th kicking team player replaces the magentic referee. Unengaged kicking team players are pivoted toward the returner. The board is then run for a time based on the length of the punt.

For example:

28-yard punt: 2.8 seconds
40-yard punt: 4.0 seconds
52-yard punt: 5.2 seconds

If any kicking team player makes any base contact with the magnetic referee, the punt returner is tackled at that spot and it is a 0-yard return. If there is no contact, the returner replaces the referee, unengaged defenders are pivoted, and the punt return commences until the returner is tackled, he runs out of bounds, or he scores a touchdown.

Ed
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

OTHER

* After or during every play, The Box is shaken. Results from The Box (currently using the NFLGTSL box, v1.6, developed by Reg Rutledge), can cause fumbles, incompletions, penalties, and injuries. On all plays but passing plays, The Box is shaken after the play. On pass plays, The Box plays is shaken before the pass is thrown, so that if an incompletion results, the play is over and time can be saved.

* If a player is injured, that player's base misses the number of plays prescribed by The Box. However, in the ECFA, since there are no backups, the figure stays in the game, but is replaced by a TTC shell with no dial. There are no multi-week injuries in the ECFA. Any player prescribed for a multiple-week injury only loses their base for the rest of that particular game.

* Games are played over four 60-minute quarters. In the first and third quarters, there are no stoppages and it is a running clock. The only possible stoppage is for an injury time out, should a player become injured, or a completely ineffective base need to be replaced. In the second and fourth quarters, the clock runs without stoppage until the 5-minute warning, after which time, all normal football clock stoppages (incompletions, out of bounds, etc.), apply. Each team is given 3 time outs per half.

* There is no overtime in the ECFA. Any game tied after four quarters ends in a tie. The only exception is the Commonwealth Bowl, which is the ECFA's national championship game, where there must be a winner. Overtime in the Championship Game features each team getting 4 plays from the 50, until one team cannot match the scoring of the other in a round.

* Spike rule: In the final 5 minutes of a half or game, the offensive team may call "spike," at which time both teams will line up in a proper formation, the board will be started then immediately stopped, and the clock will be stopped. The Box will still be shook in these situations to check for penalties/injuries, etc.

Ed
Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

STATS

I am keeping the following stats for players in the ECFA:

OFFENSE
  • Rushing attempts, yards, TDs, and average.
  • Passing completions, attempts, yards, TDs, and interceptions.
  • Receptions, yards, TDs, and average.
  • Kick & Punt returns, yards, TDs, and average.

DEFENSE
  • Tackles and tackles for loss.
  • Sacks
  • Fumbles Forced and Recovered
  • Interceptions and yards returned

I do not keep kicking or punting stats.

Ed
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

OFFENSE - RUN

Ballcarriers, either the quarterback or the running back, may either run the ball "off the break," or via a pitch/handoff from the quarterback. If a player takes it "off the break," the board is stopped once the runner reaches the line of scrimmage, and any unengaged defenders are pivoted. As with all other plays in the ECFA, tackles are "any touch."

If there is a pitch or handoff where the board is stopped, all defensive pivots are made at that point, and there is no stoppage when the ballcarrier reaches the line of scrimmage.

A ballcarrier (runner, receiver, or returner) is also considered down when he turns beyond parallel to the nearest yard line, and begins to run backward. The runner is awarded his forward progress and the play is over.

Ed
Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
MFCA MEMBER

OFFENSE - PASS

When the offensive team stops the board to pass, the following process is followed:

1) An open receiver is identified. The receiver must not have gone out of bounds at any point, and his base must not be touching a defender's base.

2) The Box is shaken to determine if the pass is incomplete or intercepted. If the pass is incomplete, the play is over. If the pass is intercepted (roll of 2 or 12 after an incompletion roll), the nearest unengaged defender to the intended receiver is the intercepter, and unengaged offensive players are pivoted to try and tackle him.

3) The distance from the helmet of the quarterback to the helmet of the intended receiver is measured. This measurement keys the amount of time the defense will have to attack the receiver after a catch.

0 to 20 yards: 1 second.
21 to 40 yards: 2 seconds.
41 yards or more: 3 seconds.

4) The pass is thrown with the TTQB. There is no "stick" passing in the ECFA. If the pass hits any portion of the receiver (body or base), on the fly, the pass is complete. If the pass does not hit the receiver (body or base), the pass is incomplete. If the pass hits an unengaged defender on the fly, the pass is intercepted and the process is the same as that at the end of 2). If the pass hits an engaged defender, it is incomplete. If the pass hits another unengaged eligible receiver, the ball is caught and the play is over. There are no penalties for hitting an offensive lineman with a pass.

5) If the pass is caught by the intended receiver, he is replaced by a magnetic referee, unengaged defenders are pivoted, and they run toward the receiver (or wherever the defense chooses) for the number of seconds determined in 3). If any defender makes any base contact with any part of the magnetic referee's base, the receiver is tackled and the play is over. If there is no such contact, the receiver replaces the magnetic referee, any unengaged defenders are re-pivoted, and the board is run until the receiver is tackled, goes out of bounds, falls over, or scores a touchdown.

Note: If the quarterback's base is contacted by the base of any defender prior to shutting the board off for a pass attempt, the quarterback is sacked.

Scramble Rule: If the board is stopped and there are no eligible receivers to whom a forward pass can be thrown, the quarterback's TTC base can be pivoted to run. All unengaged defenders can be pivoted, as can the quarterback.

Coverage Sack: If the quarterback has no unengaged receivers and is in such a situation that a scramble isn't available, a coverage sack is awarded to the nearest unengaged defender, for a loss of 5 yards.

Note 2: If the intended receiver is in the end zone, no yardage measurement is done, since should the receiver catch the ball, the play is over and a touchdown is scored.

Ed
Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Ed
Thanks
I will see what that does my league standings

Walt
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks. I always enjoy seeing different rules and how they are applied.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Great celebration

Hey Ed, I just saw the Purdue celebration and it was great. I loved the helmet on the goal post and the guy on the top of the upright is wild. I didn't know they allowed pole dancing on the field.

Did you see the Chargers celebration pictures I posted for Super Bowl 50. I found the mini trophy on eBay. I took a round sturdy foam cylinder used for packing and the top of a clear CD case to make the platform. I don't know if I can top that one. I think it will be my standard post Super Bowl celebration. Maybe and NFL shield on the bottom cylinder would work.

Your blimp sponsor is still the best line I've ever read on the site.

Mike
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks, Mike. I had a lot of fun with that Purdue win over Kentucky. Figured it was noteworthy since it was Kentucky's first-ever loss.

The Super Bowl ceremony was great! That trophy is fantastic. All of us will be jealous of that, I think. I actually toyed with the idea of having championship ring done for whoever wins the ECFA, just for giggles, that I would then keep in a display case here, but that's probably going a bit over board. Besides, I can use that money to buy a big board and start getting a stadium together.

Good game going on now between Virginia and top-ranked Florida State ... good game, that is, if you like upsets. I'm about halfway through the fourth quarter, should have the recap up tomorrow.

Then it's the big battle between top-3 teams Florida and Syracuse. Winner looks headed to the top spot in the AP poll. Have to get that game done so I will have 2 weeks complete and can send in my article about it for The Tweak.

Ed
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

... CHARLOTTESVILLE CELEBRATES AS UVA UPSETS FLORIDA STATE

Virginia fought off a late Florida State rally and three injuries, two on the offensive line, to topple #1 Florida State, 16-8, in Week 2 of ECFA play.

The Cavaliers struck first, as Fells-Danzer returned the opening kickoff 92 yards. Two plays later, Verica found Jones for a 4-yard touchdown and a 7-0 lead. FSU immediately drove into Virginia territory, mostly with the ground atatck, but Thompson fumbled the ball away on the 7th play, ending the promising drive. After a Virginia punt, Thompson again coughed it loose and again, Virginia recovered. The Cavaliers (1-1, 1-0 Eastern Conference) capitalized with a 27-yard field goal to make it 10-0, keyed by 32-yard completion to Burd.

It was 13-0 at the half and 16-0 after three quarters, but the Seminoles (1-1, 0-1 East) mounted a drive to start the fourth period. Running behind right tackle to take advantage of an injured Virginia left defensive end, FSU got yards in chunks on the ground, drving to the 26, where on 2nd-and-6, Thompson ran for the first down at the 20. But a false start penalty made it 2nd-and-11. Thompson caught a pass, but was just short of the first down. Facing 3rd-and-1 from the 21, Virginia's weakened defense stood up and slammed the door, holding first Ponder then Thompson to 0-yard gains and turning the ball over on downs.

Virginia, however, quickly punted, and back came the Seminoles. This time, three consecutive completions netted the final 48 yards of a touchdown drive, culminated by Reed's 10-yard catch for a score. Tight end Reliford caught the 2-point attempt, and it was 16-8.

With just less than 5 minutes to go, FSU's onside kick attempt was recovered by Virginia at the Seminoles' 40. They went for it on 4th-and-8 to use more time, and lost 3 yards on a catch. Florida State had one last chance from its 41 with 43 seconds left. A receiver got open in the end zone, but The Box called the pass incomplete. With 23 seconds left, another pass toward the end zone missed the target, but there's a flag on the field! ... UVA got called for a 15-yard penalty for taunting!!! That left one untimed down for FSU to try and score. This time, they got a receiver open at the 20, but safeties were back and the pass was just incomplete. The game was finally over, and the Cavaliers were winners.

Ed