Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

No reason to be sorry, it's good healthy discussion and the solitaire folks need to see more of that on these boards.

I don't really assign routes to the receivers. If they get open, I try and hit them. If they don't, then the DBs are doing a good job. One or the other wins the matchup and that decides the game.

I do lineup receivers based on where they are strong, such that if a receiver sort of loops to the right, he'll be lined up on the left, that sort of thing. I also will alternate a bit on who is in the slot and who is on the line.

One route I do run is a bubble screen. I'll bunch trips on one side, but set one receiver to run sideways. The other two in the bunch then block, and the intended receiver has to try and outrun the guy who was on him. It doesn't usually work for much, but it's fun to set up.

Ed
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I have 103 teams and bases on all teams. Except 1. I keep one bass I know run mostly straight to give to the primary runner and I rotate each. It fun passing trying to wacth ansd see how they break. Sometimes I go left and they go right., Incomplete other times i get right.

Ed do you dice for passes now or TTQB?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:16 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default We are very similar........

.....in our thinking on this topic as well. My problem is secifically with TE's though.

SE and RB going out on routes aren't so much a problem as you pointed out. On my snap stop the cover man or zone defender in that area, has to decide how to play the reciever he has; turn and run, hold him up (I let them do this without penalty) or let the reciever go to someone else.

TE's present a problem for me becuase they often have a DE line up over them in my nine man schemes. Thus, getting off the line is difficult if not impossible unless they are angled before the snap. DE's do not drop into coverage very often if ever. So, if I angle the the TE to get him out I eitehr have to slide the protection to his side or rely on a back to pick up an unblocked DE, neither of which has proved very successful resulting usually in a quick release by the qb; I don't get many sacks in my multi stop system. I have thought about allowing the TE to be pivited when engaged after the snap. This would slow up the DE for the back or slide and allow the TE to get into a route.

HMMMM, well, now that I've described this to you it actually sounds very realistic. What I need is more sacks. Solved my own problem on one hand and found another I guess.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I have 103 teams and bases on all teams. Except 1. I keep one bass I know run mostly straight to give to the primary runner and I rotate each. It fun passing trying to wacth ansd see how they break. Sometimes I go left and they go right., Incomplete other times i get right.

Ed do you dice for passes now or TTQB?
To this point, all passes have been with the TTQB, with the exception of passes where the TTQB could lean over and touch the receiver with the ball (usually 2 base lengths). Those are automatic completions unless The Box says otherwise.

Ed
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

So I've played a half using the passing charts that dogwood30 and I developed and the FG chart that Hoop developed.

In the first half of Syracuse-Clemson, there were 38 snaps. But this was playing only 40-minute quarters as opposed to 60 as before, where there would normally be 45 snaps or so in the opening half. So the timing is fine by me. Passing plays are definitely a lot shorter. Haven't had the rare play chart come up yet, in fact there were no penalties or turnovers at all in the opening half.

I did make one change with regard to the passing chart. My hypotehsis that most of the passes would be in the 0-20 yard range wasn't correct. The majority of pass plays were in that middle range. So I'm using the team's standard completion roll for the mid-range passes, adding 20 for the short passes, and subtracting 20 for the long passes, as well as adding 2 to the interception number for those passes. It's made for some interesting decisions when there have been multiple receivers open on a play and I have to decide if I want to take the short or medium route with a higher completion percentage, or go for the downs knowing there is a 20% worse chance of completing the pass, with a greater risk of it being intercepted.

Syracuse leads Clemson, 10-7, at the break, and will be getting the ball to start the second half.

Ed
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Excellent....

.....I still have a game sitting with just one quarter played. I won't change anything to finish it and have one game left in my week five schedule. I probably should finish the week before I implament such a big change as the new chart; but, I'm just to excited bout it to wait. Like a spoiled kid at Christmas. I can't wait!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

... SYRACUSE SYR-VIVES A LAST-MINUTE GAFFE; HOLDS OFF CLEMSON

For much of their Week 3 ECFA game against the Clemson Tigers, the Syracuse Orangemen were their typical, quietly dominating selves. Cooly pounding the ball down the Tigers' throats, then crossing them up at just the right time to take a 17-7 lead into the fourth quarter.

But despite their 0-2 record coming in, Syracuse soon found out these weren't the same old sorry ********** Clemson Tigers. Clemson rallied to within 17-14, and then with all hope seemingly lost and no time outs left, forced a fumble giving them 2 plays and 87 yards to go for the winning score with 25 seconds left. Quarterback Kyle Parker found an open man on the first play 20 yards down field, but missed him. That left 4 seconds left and time for one last play. But Parker was pressured by Syracuse DL Chandler Jones, and had to scramble just to get out of the end zone, taking an 11-yard sack on the final play as the Orangemen stayed perfect with a 17-14 win.

Syracuse won this one mostly with its running game, as the left side of the Orangemen offensive line plowed through the right side of the Clemson defense. Syracuse (3-0, 2-0 Eastern Conference) ran for 154 yards on 25 carries, with Antwan Bailey (16-96) leading the charge. But the Orangemen got their touchdowns through the air. First, Ryan Nassib hit Bailey with a shovel pass for a 1-yard score, and later he completed a 19-yard pass to Van Chew, who was wide open in the corner of the end zone, for a second score. Nassib was a modest 10-for-15 for 102 yards, but had 2 TDs and 0 INTs and with the rushing attack being what it was, that was about as good as he needed to be.

Conversely, Clemson had no ground game, losing 25 yards on 7 attempts. Two of those were sacks of Parker, and only one run - a 12-yard Parker scramble, gained positive yards the entire game. Parker struggled through the air, going 9-for-21 for 149 yards, his yardage total perked up by a 62-yard catch and run TD from Marquan Jones that tied the game at 7 in the second quarter. Syracuse added a field goal before the end of the half to take a 10-7 lead. The teams traded punts in the third quarter before Chew's touchdown catch on the quarter's final play made it 17-7.

After Parker's 12-yard run to open the final quarter, Clemson went 52 yards on the next 9 plays, all passes, before tailback Andre Ellington caught a 14-yard touchdown pass. He made the most of the new Rare Play Chart, as when he caught the ball, only one Syracuse player was allowed to pivot. That tackler missed, and Ellington was free. He did the rest to make it 17-14.

Syracuse then drove 58 yards to the Clemson 13 before Bailey fumbled, but the Tigers were thwarted in the final seconds.

Clemson is 0-3, 0-1 East, and will play conference foe Kentucky next week. Syracuse has a monster non-conference game against Illinois in Week 4.

Ed
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Syracuse 17, Clemson 14

SYR 7 3 7 0 - 17
CLEM 0 7 0 7 - 14

SCORING

SYR - Bailey 1 pass from Nassib (kick good)
CLEM - Jones 62 pass from Parker (kick good)
SYR - FG 42
SYR - Chew 19 pass from Nassib (kick good)
CLEM - Ellington 14 pass from Parker (kick good)

TEAM STATS

Rushing: SYR 25-154; CLEM 7-(-25).
Passing: SYR 15-102; CLEM 21-149.
Total: SYR 40-256; CLEM: 28-124.
Returns: SYR 4-59; CLEM 4-113.
First Downs: SYR 12; CLEM 7.
Penalties: SYR 0-0; CLEM 2-25.
Turnovers: SYR 1; CLEM 0.

INDIVIDUAL STATS - Syracuse Orangemen (3-0, 2-0 Eastern Conference)

Rushing: Bailey 16-96; Nassib 3-23; Harris 6-35.
Passing: Nassib 10-of-15, 102 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT.
Receiving: Bailey 4-12, 1 TD; Lemon 2-30; Harris 2-34; Chew 2-36, 1 TD.
Returns: Holmes 2-0; Lemon 2-59.
Tackles-For Loss: Merkerson 1-0; Lewis 3-0; Gillum 3-1; Tribbey 1-1; Pugh 1-0; Jones 2-1; Marinovich 1-1.
Sacks: Tribbey 1, Marinovich 1.
Fumbles Forced-Recovered: None.
Interceptions: None.

INDIVIDUAL STATS - Clemson Tigers (0-3, 0-1 Eastern Conference)

Rushing: Ellington 2-(-9); Parker 5-(-16).
Passing: Parker 9-of-21, 149 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT.
Receiving: Ache 1-9; Jones 1-62, 1 TD; Dye 1-14; Allen 1-13; Ellington 5-51, 1 TD.
Returns: Jones 3-113; Hall 1-0.
Tackles-For Loss: McDaniel 3-0; Bowers 2-0; Gilchrist 1-0; Thompson 7-0; Hawkins 1-0; May 1-0; Hall 2-0; Maxwell 2-0; Christian 2-0; Jenkins 1-0; Branch 1-0.
Fumbles Forced-Recovered: Branch 1-1.
Interceptions: None.

Ed
Old 02-11-2011, 07:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

ECFA 2010-11 STANDINGS

EASTERN CONFERENCE

3-0-0, 2-0-0 Syracuse Orangemen
2-0-0, 1-0-0 Purdue Boilermakers
1-1-0, 1-0-0 Virginia Cavaliers
2-1-0, 1-1-0 Florida Gators
1-2-0, 0-1-0 Florida State Seminoles
0-3-0, 0-1-0 Clemson Tigers
1-2-0, 0-2-0 Kentucky Wildcats

WESTERN CONFERENCE

2-1-0, 2-0-0 Oklahoma Sooners
2-0-0, 1-0-0 Illinois Fighting Illini
1-0-2, 0-0-2 BYU Cougars
1-1-1, 0-0-1 Texas Longhorns
1-1-0, 0-0-0 Nebraska Cornhuskers
0-2-1, 0-1-1 Ohio State Buckeyes
0-3-0, 0-2-0 Michigan Wolverines

Ed
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Up to the minute Computer Rankings:

# W-L PTS TEAM

01 3-0-0 330 Syracuse Orangemen
02 2-0-0 285 Purdue Boilermakers
03 2-0-0 273 Illinois Fighting Illini
04 2-1-0 235 Florida Gators
05 2-1-0 211 Oklahoma Sooners
06 1-0-2 194 BYU Cougars
07 1-1-0 172 Virginia Cavaliers
08 1-1-1 170 Texas Longhorns
09 1-1-0 163 Nebraska Cornhuskers
10 1-2-0 114 Kentucky Wildcats
11 1-2-0 100 Florida State Seminoles
12 0-2-1 056 Ohio State Buckeyes
13 0-3-0 021 Clemson Tigers
14 0-3-0 011 Michigan Wolverines

This will be updated after each game. The AP Poll will come out at the conclusion of each week.

Interesting to note that after this game, no teams changed position, as the best team beat one of the worst, with Clemson still hanging on to 13th over Michigan, despite the loss.

Ed