Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Another thriller!

And the rare play chart had an impact already; to cool!

Can't wait for the big Syracuse/Illinois game; gotta pull for the Big 10 team but the Orange have a great history and are a fine top seed.

Keep it coming Ed.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

It's interesting, with Syracuse now the clear favorite in the East, and having drawn the non-conference games at random - the Orangemen's two non-conference games are against the two teams they'd most likely face in the Commonwealth Bowl for the national championship: Illinois and Oklahoma. They've already dispatched OU, 23-9, and will be a tough task for Illinois to figure out next week.

Ed
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

It's funny how those intangible plays pop up in crucial spots in the game. It adds a new element of excitement to the game. Sometimes the underdog gets the big break and gets an upset win. Other times the favorite might get the big break to avoid the big upset. You never know.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Syracuse still has to beat Purdue and Virginia. Both undefeated in conf. That is way we play the games, Its fun.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Syracuse still has to beat Purdue and Virginia. Both undefeated in conf. That is way we play the games, Its fun.
I'm not sure Virginia can give them too much trouble. The Cavaliers don't have much at WR and their cornerbacks are suspect.

Purdue doesn't have the greatest base talent but definitely seems to play well as a group, so they are going to be in the battle for the top spot for sure.

Illinois-Nebraska the main game for today in a Western Conference battle, then the aforementioned Boilermakers and Cavaliers meet to finish off Week 3. Rematch of the 1984 Peach Bowl, won by Virginia, which was its first-ever bowl game.

Ed
Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Team base strength....

How do you guys manage your teams' bases? How often do you tweak bases? Do you change out a teams' bases; how often?

Do you have some sort of system for this?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I just tweak up each team using the same style, and most teams get the same profile in terms of what type of base (TTC, rookie) is at each position.

I check the rookies before each game to make sure they run at least reasonably straight. I'll switch out one if it's bad. If one goes really bad during the game, I'll charge the team a time out and change the base.

For TTCs, I just make sure they can run. How strong they are is out of my control. The players decide that.

Ed
Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 AM
First Round Draft Pick

Default Predictions.......

I will be so BOLD as to predict NEBRASKA winning by ten, and PURDUE winning by fourteen points. Nebraska AND Purdue BOTH sound like strong balanced teams that will make a strong run to the end. We may need to create point spreads and over/under lines for your games as well! I love your details, and game summaries a lot also . Have fun, enjoy the games!

Last edited by NEWYORKGUY : 02-12-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Ha. Funny you should mention that. I'll probably post odds and totals starting with Week 4, now that I'm more familiar with all the teams and they'll all have 3 games under their belts.

Ed
Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

... HUSKERS HALT HOPES FOR ILLINI AT THE BUZZER

Nebraska has proven two things this season. One, they are good at getting early leads. Two, they are good at giving up said leads. They did it against Purdue in the opener, and lost on a last-second field goal, 25-23.

Today, they turned the tables at the end on Illinois, jumping ahead to a 17-0 lead, seeing that advantage evaporate, then kicking a field goal on the final play to win the game, 20-17. The win came in Nebraska's conference opener to leave the Cornhuskers 2-1 overall, 1-0 Western Conference; while Illinois fell to 2-1, 1-1.

Nebraska took a 7-0 lead in the opening quarter after Gomez blocked an Illinois punt in Illini territory. It was the first blocked punt in ECFA history. Nebraska took over at the Illinois 26 and scored 5 plays later when Green hit Cooper for a 13-yard score.

In the second quarter, the Cornhuskers were driving following an Illinois punt that actually went forward. Nebraska drove 50 yards in 12 plays, but could only get a 30-yard field goal out of the deal when passes on 2nd and 3rd down from the Illinois 13 fell incomplete. The lead swelled to 17-0 after Moore intercepted Illinois quarterback Scheelhaase and returned it to the 49. Green ran for 9 then 41 yards, going out of bounds at the 1. Robinson then came out of the backfield to catch a touchdown pass.

Following yet another Illinois punt, the Huskers needed only to escape the final minute of the half to get orange slices and Gatorade with a 17-0 lead. But Green was picked off by Ellington, who returned it 35 yards to the Nebraska 6. Le Shoure caught a 6-yard touchdown pass from Scheelhaase - and despite having only 8 yards of total offense in the first 90 minutes, Illinois went to the locker room down just 17-7.

Nebraska punted on the opening drive of the third quarter, failing to gain a yard. Illinois converted that into 3 points, moving to the Nebraska 27 before kicking a 44-yard field goal. Nebraska punted again, and Illinois scored again, this time driving 61 yards in 8 plays, culminating in Jenkins' 16-yard touchdown catch early in the fourth quarter.

After the Cornhuskers punted yet again, it appeared Illinois would get the lead. Starting from the 6, the Illini running game finally kicked into gear, with Becker rushing for 69 yards on 7 carries. But on 3rd-and-5 from the Nebraska 24, he was turned back for a 2-yard loss by DE Meredith. The subsequent 43-yard field goal attempt was no good, and another ECFA tie loomed.

The tie looked like a sure bet when Green was sacked by Brant, creating a 3rd-and-22 at the 21 with 4 minutes to play. Illinois called a time out, hoping to get the ball back and mount one final drive. But Nebraska crossed them up, throwing to TE Reed for a 38-yard gain and new life. On 3rd-and-10 from the Illinois 41, Cooper caught a 14-yard pass, but one final try for Reed in the corner of the end zone with 4 seconds left was incomplete. Then, Nebraska sent out the kicker and he was good from 42, as Nebraska wins, 20-17.

Ed