Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love this type of discussions,don you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know you still have that fire inside you for solitaire.great dicussion dimitri and lindyhopper49.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
MFCA MEMBER

as for the Timing issue mentioned above, I played an uniform number of plays per quarter, but this takes out the whole idea of the 2 minute drill at the end of the 2 halves.

I am not sure quite how to integrate the clock effectively yet, keep the timing realistic with the excessive set up times before each play.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I'm still wrestling with the timing issue myself. I started playing 15 plays a half quarter and believe it or not that took to long. I reduced it to 12 plays and it seemed to give me good timing. I only kick-off starting each half. Setting up for kick-offs took to long for me but I wanted to have the excitement of returns at least twice a game. Each team has a shot at it. I have the offense setup at the 20 during the rest of the game.

I'm contemplating experimenting with a clock with 2 half hour halves. The clock will run continuously with only 2-3 timeouts per team a half. My only fear is that one team can monopolize the ball for most of the half. Will test it to see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyhopper49 View Post
as for the Timing issue mentioned above, I played an uniform number of plays per quarter, but this takes out the whole idea of the 2 minute drill at the end of the 2 halves.

I am not sure quite how to integrate the clock effectively yet, keep the timing realistic with the excessive set up times before each play.

Last edited by detroitchild : 10-24-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46defense View Post
i love this type of discussions,don you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know you still have that fire inside you for solitaire.great dicussion dimitri and lindyhopper49.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitchild View Post
I'm still wrestling with the timing issue myself. I started playing 15 plays a half and believe it or not that took to long. I reduced it to 12 plays and it seemed to give me good timing. I only kick-off starting each half. Setting up for kick-offs took to long for me but I wanted to have the excitement of returns at least twice a game. Each team has a shot at it. I have the offense setup at the 20 during the rest of the game.

I'm contemplating experimenting with a clock with 2 half hour halves. The clock will run continuously with only 2-3 timeouts per team a half. My only fear is that one team can monopolize the ball for most of the half. Will test it to see how it goes.
I recently ran a game in that format as part of my own Playtest League exerpimental series (see in Solitaire Rules) —four quarters, 15 minutes, no timeouts or stoppages w/multiple first downs allowed. Kickoffs only to open the halves, BTW and automatic touchbacks after any score. I found that I did not have the balance between timing and scoring opportunities I'm seeking for my purposes. But perhaps you might have better luck: it's hard to judge a format on the basis of only one game, after all, though I may not attempt another such game myself or, if I do, retain the four-down limit on possessions to allow the two sides to mix it up a bit better.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

CORRECTION:

That's what I was afraid of. I'll test it one day to see how it goes. I may stick to the 12 play a half quarter format.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleanian In Exile View Post
I recently ran a game in that format as part of my own Playtest League exerpimental series (see in Solitaire Rules) —four quarters, 15 minutes, no timeouts or stoppages w/multiple first downs allowed. Kickoffs only to open the halves, BTW and automatic touchbacks after any score. I found that I did not have the balance between timing and scoring opportunities I'm seeking for my purposes. But perhaps you might have better luck: it's hard to judge a format on the basis of only one game, after all, though I may not attempt another such game myself or, if I do, retain the four-down limit on possessions to allow the two sides to mix it up a bit better.

Last edited by detroitchild : 10-24-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-24-2009, 05:31 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
That's what I was afraid of. I'll test it one day to see how it goes. I may stick to the 12 play a half format.
Personaly, I was thinking to make a game in 3 hours, more or less like the real thing.

Since I will not play in league for now, I can take some beers and pizzas and pass the evening with my brother or friends playing the game instead of watching tv (even if my brother bought a super 42" LCD tv recently)

Using a x plays format Timing is interesting too since it should balance the lack of preparing squad timing (since no matter the time we'll take, the number of plays will still the same). Good thing for beginners (especially here, to be honest even if I understand some basics strategies, I barely can't place my team without a little scheme or diagram for now).

The only things is how to converte these 3 gaming hours in 4 quarters plays ? And how simulate the 2mins left too.

Las thing , in a "normal" play : how do you manage the 40seconds timing ? If you play without referee, I don't see how you can manage it easily (since if one of the coaches is looking the timer, he can't focus on the game) ?

And...how to simulate the "clock playing" (= trying to stop the timer, or the contrary) in a plays format ?

and the time out ?

edit : well...reading again my post, I realize that the timing should 'nt be as easy as I thought if I want to simulate most of the real thing...so I imagine coaches here intentionaly forget some rules or tactics to play easier ?

Last edited by the french guy : 10-24-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:38 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default talking timers

i know a lot of guys use a timer that counts down silently at first and the last 10 sec out loud so you dont have to look at it.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Talking clocks...

...are what most coaches use. They are easy to manage. Here is one place to order them.

http://www.dynamic-living.com/produc...mer-amp-clock/
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

thanks ! I 'll check that to see if i can find a french version here