Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood30 View Post
Ed I really think you are onto something with the completion ratio to the length of the pass. I may give it a shot.
Thanks. I was realllllllly bored at work today. Thankfully, Yahoo has stats lists for college football that copy perfectly into an Excel spreadsheet, so I could let it do the calculations.

Amazing stat: Georgia Tech, who of course runs most of the time, was dead last in the country, completing 38% of their passes, and I think they only threw about 10 times a game.

Ed
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Ed, Take a look at this and let me know what you think. I took your idea and put a little spin on it.

0-20 yards
01-70 Complete
71-99 INCOMPLETE
00 INTERCEPTED

21-40 yards:
01-50 COMPLETE
51-97 INCOMPLETE
98-00 INTERCEPTED

41-yards plus:
01-30 COMPLETE
31-95 INCOMPLETE
96-00 INTERCEPTED

Double 1s: Fumble
Double 2s: Incomplete
Double 3s: Intercepted
Double 4s: Minor Penalty
Double 5s: Minor Penalty
Double 6s: Intangible Chart

Intangible Chart

1-3 Ball batted at line and intercepted by nearest lineman. Down at spot.
4-10 Ball batted down at line. Incomplete Pass
11-12 Bad exchange FUMBLE. Go to recovery chart.
13 Bad exchange FUMBLE. Nearest lineman returns. All chase.
14-20 PRESSURE- QB must run.
21-29 PRESSURE- QB throws ball out of bounds.
30-31 PRESSURE- Intentional Grounding. 10 yd Penalty Loss of Down.
32-50 Pass Complete
51-65 Pass Incomplete
66 Pass hits referee- Incomplete
67-70 Pass tipped in secondary. Diving Interception by nearest defender. Down at spot.
71-75- Pass tipped in secondary. Diving catch by receiver. Down at spot.
76-80- Pass complete. Only 1 defensive chaser.
81-83- Perfect pass complete. No defensive chasers.
84-90- PRESSURE- Pass up for grabs. ( evens complete at spot…odds intercepted at spot.
91-93- QB Sacked and FUMBLE. Go to recovery chart.
94 QB Sacked and FUMBLE. Nearest lineman returns. All chase.
95-96- Pass complete but receiver Fumble on contact. Recovery chart.
( If receiver makes it OB no fumble) .
97-98- Pass intercepted by nearest defender. All chase.
99-00 Nearest defender jumps route. INTERCEPTED. No chasers.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I actually really like that idea. Kind of like implementing the Rare Play chart from APBA football.

The only change I'd make is that for double 5s, I'd go major penalty to make sure that's still accounted for. But otherwise, I think that would definitely work.

I hope some of the other solo players are seeing this discussion - could be revolutionary stuff for folks if they're interested. Lot of great minds are on the solitaire kick right now and it's great to see!

Ed
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I agree double 5s should be a major penalty.

It's funny you mentioned APBA. I played their Baseball game for years and they always incorporated odd plays.

I love to innovate and create situations that can actually happen during the game. This chart can be a template and the results can be arranged by any coach to fit in their solitaire league. There may even be other things added that I might have missed.

I already have something like this in place in my league and these akward results to pop up every so often. Example; My Super Bowl 47 Tournament Buffalo lines up for a 23 yard field goal to win the game with :02 on the clock. Looks like a sure Buffalo win. What happens the intangible play comes up. The kick is blocked and the Vikings win the Super Bowl. These intangible results are very random but somtimes determine a teams fate just like the real game.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I was not a fan of dice.....

.........at all when I started. Several weeks into my first season I went to dice for play calling, for obvious reasons, and am constantly imporving my system there. Recently I've added dice for fumbles, penalties, and injuries useing Regie's chart as a starting point. I'm not liking the injuries but mostly because my teams have few if any subs. The penalties and fumbles I think I like.

I too like to use the the TTQB and utilize the ATTAC passing stystem. It gives the defense a chance to react to the pass, involves the skill of the reciever to 'hit' the spot the ball was thrown to, and lets me toss it with the TTQB. I get it all. So, I don't see using charts for passing myself, for now anyway.

I do see one other thing to consider in your passing charts however. A QB's completion percentage can very greatly based on the game situation. For example, in the fist quarter a defense is going to play it safe, so to speak, and feel the opponent out some, I'm talking real football now, and recievers may be more open than later in the game when corners play more press man and bump and run, and defenses tend to blitz more. As the end of the game approaches the team in the lead tends to go to more prevent type defenses. Thus, QB's tend to complete a higher percentage of passes early and late in games.

This is just one example. There are other game situations that would effect pass completion percentages.

I do suppose it all averages out in the end but it may be worthy of consideration to account for game situation as well in a pass simulation chart.

Just thinking out loud.......
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

The more input the better. I know alot of guys like to actually use the TTQB and actually throw the ball or you may use the passing sticks. I am not trying to talk anyone out of what they do but this is an alternative way to pass and it does speed up the game if you play by a clock. There are so many ideas and great football minds in this association anything is possible. Keep it coming.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood30 View Post
I agree double 5s should be a major penalty.

It's funny you mentioned APBA. I played their Baseball game for years and they always incorporated odd plays.

I love to innovate and create situations that can actually happen during the game. This chart can be a template and the results can be arranged by any coach to fit in their solitaire league. There may even be other things added that I might have missed.

I already have something like this in place in my league and these akward results to pop up every so often. Example; My Super Bowl 47 Tournament Buffalo lines up for a 23 yard field goal to win the game with :02 on the clock. Looks like a sure Buffalo win. What happens the intangible play comes up. The kick is blocked and the Vikings win the Super Bowl. These intangible results are very random but somtimes determine a teams fate just like the real game.
I've played APBA baseball for some 25 years now. Still roll a few games each night. Working presently on a 1927 and a 1979 season replay. Just started the '27 one and am in the first week; have just about hit Memorial Day in the '79 season. That's the first year I remember watching baseball, so it's a standout season for me.

Ed
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default You guys are posting monsters!

You each posted twice while I was typing my two cents worth. I REALLY like that last idea with the intangibles chart. Your not trying to but you may have just changed my mind.

I often think about all the wacky things that 'can' happen in a real game but just can't be simulated in MF; like batted passes or even passes hitting the ref.

A person could still go ahead and toss the ball with the TTQB when the roll of dice didn't come up with some alternate senario. In my case, I could roll the dice any outcome that you have listed as 'completed pass' would require me to still throw the ball with the TTQB and if successful have the reciever run to the stick. This would still allow for an actual on the field interception if the defense was adjusted and got to the 'spot' the ball was thrown to first.

Doing it all may slow the game down a little though.......oh well!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Game time is actually what has started leaning me toward a passing chart.

I love the game, and I wanted a solo league where players would get the chance to stand out. Like in the last BYU-Ohio State game, the QB and RB (1-back offense) combined for something like 33 carries. I want guys to have a chance to tote the rock or pass a lot. I want guys on defense to have a chance to make 7-10 tackles a game if they are a stand out (the current record is 12).

But to do that required the 60-minute quarters, so my games run about 4.5 hours. Far too long for one sitting, even with as much as I love to play.

So if by using a passing chart I can turn the clock back to 40 minutes a quarter, for example, but still get the same number of plays in roughly, then it's definitely worth it. I like the idea of getting 80-90 offensive snaps a game, but I do want to find a quicker way to do it, and I think using the charts we have talked about today would help do that.

Ed
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I hope Hoop isn't mad that we kinda beat his thread up with a sledge hammer.

Hopefully the information and thoughts we've come up with are helpful to folks.

Ed