Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Coach

I don't advocate putting everyone on the line.....don't get me wrong.....but I often have as many as 9 up on the line. I don't think it looks right....but it does work. I have played against some pretty experienced players and if you try to set up in a 4-3 or 3-4 NFL defense, you will simply be dominated.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Coach

When I was in the NYEFL I played man to man all the time from a 4-3 formation and was good at stopping most people, I guess to each his own.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre kc View Post
When I was in the NYEFL I played man to man all the time from a 4-3 formation and was good at stopping most people, I guess to each his own.
Andre, what were the reasons behind you successfully stopping most people? (Strong bases on line, good loopers, shut down corners, etc.) I'm still learning and want to know what works for most coaches.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitchild View Post
Andre, what were the reasons behind you successfully stopping most people? (Strong bases on line, good loopers, shut down corners, etc.) I'm still learning and want to know what works for most coaches.
you need all of that, but one thing I usually stress to new coaches - decide what you want to do in terms of schemes, then build you team with that in mind.

Next you must KNOW your players...after have all the best a tweak can offer, you still need to know (1) how does that player run? (2) how fast; (3) can he play another position??

answering those questions will make more questions, but at least you are working towards the finish line.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach K-LO View Post
you need all of that, but one thing I usually stress to new coaches - decide what you want to do in terms of schemes, then build you team with that in mind.

Next you must KNOW your players...after have all the best a tweak can offer, you still need to know (1) how does that player run? (2) how fast; (3) can he play another position??

answering those questions will make more questions, but at least you are working towards the finish line.

Thanks for the input. How do you gear your defense to stop power running teams? I noticed the league in my area (GLEFL) is a power league and the couple of games I saw had coaches pretty much lining their guys up on the line of scrimmage.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Hi detroitchild,

Now I am not an expert but for starters you might want to find someone who is good at tweaking bases for strength. If nothing else you at least want to try and not get blwon off of the line of scrimmage. You also might want to find some loopers who can come off the corner. Finally I don't know the rules of your league but occasionally you may want to put some of your defenders in the gaps if that is allowed. I am sure there are others with more experience who can help but hope this .02 cents is helpful.

Coach J
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Coach

All the things Coach_J said is all good. detroitchild try making a D team for speed, speed VS power= fast to the ball stoppes the play before it starts
Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Spartan

You may want to play the numbers game. What I mean by that is play a combo between man and zone. If your opponent is playing a twins formation where he has 2 receivers split out to the same side, try playing 3 over their 2.

Put your corner playing man on the number 1 receiver (outside one) along with a decent outside linebacker/strong safety over the number 2 receiver (the inside one).

Then play a cover 2 shell over the top with your free safeties. Thus the 3 over 2. If a receiver gets past one of your defenders, you have a free safety for support over the top.

You can play your safeties with inside leverage if you are playing someone who likes to slip in a run now and then. It helps to have good linebackers to free up your safeties for pass coverage.

Having a safety over the top can also free up one of your man to man cover guys to slip in a corner or outside linebacker blitz.

Good Luck.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
BUCKEYES1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallcow4life28 View Post
We have a rule that the defense can play man to man unless there is 15 yards or more for a first down, then the defense must play zone. You can play man or zone on any play, but with 15 yards or more, you must play zone--except inside the opp. 20 yard line.
Why do you "force" defense to play zone?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Because we play with....

self-passing rules. We don't turn the board off during any play, and we don't allow the defense to pivot players. If the defense were allowed to play man solely, then receivers would have a free release down the field creating too many big plays--we want to keep the realism of the game. Actually the defense only has to zone one side of the field--you can still bump and run the other side.