Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I hear ya Geno

I forgot I play in a area where we have 32, and another 8-11 waiting to get in the league.

But if you did have the numbers you requested, I wonder how many vets vs rookies would play in which tourney?

Passing or sticks?????

I'm no chop stick luey!!!!! Where's big Al Kyle, he loves those sticks!!!!! And so does that bum Jim Davis aka the Hulk!!!!!! I want a rematch!!!! On internet

Nat'l
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Based on the Melee results, the two best passers were in the final game. While the rest of us used the sticks 90% of the time, Geno and Flynt used the passers 90% of the time. The sticks got the rest of us in the game to where we could have fun and be a threat, but the best two passers won the day. There is no substitute for good passing ability and strategy. The guy that has the best strategy and the basic skills, i.e. passing with a QB, solid kicking, good tweaks, etc. will still come out on top.

Sounds to me Corey, your strategy was flawed!

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default CorEy

Hey National,

I liked you better when you had all those ladies for your avatar!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM
MFCA MEMBER

National, yes they are for rookies. But you missed my point. The idea is to grow the game. Let's say that I live in the Detroit area and want to join your league. I am at my current experience level. If you don't let me use the passing sticks, I can't compete with just a running game. You have a huge advantage that you don't need, because you have years of experience, you are a vet. The score is gonna be huge in your favor. What fun is that for both of us? You really didn't prove anything beating me, because of my inability to have a complete game. But, if you would let passing sticks be used, I guarantee you it would be a much better game.

Here is the thing I don't think you get. Am I gonna keep on just using the passing sticks? No Way. WHY? Because I want to win, and to win, I have to have a passing game with the TDQ to get the advantages that it offers and be on the same level as you. Then the game will come down to coaching, tweaking, knowing my players, etc.

We don't need rookie leagues, we need rookies in our leagues to grow them. Don't turn the new guys away. Help them, encourage them. As someone has said, don't be macho, help the new guy compete.

I know that every new coach at the Mid America Melee had a huge amount of fun. Even the coaches that didn't win a game had a blast. Why? BECAUSE THEY COMPETED!!!!!!!! The cream rose to the top. Geno and Flynt were clearly the best and most experienced players there. They have several things in common. Great bases, they know what their players are going to do, they have a TDQ passing game so that they can pass to ANY receiver on the field, which is huge, and they were able to turn and burn. All the new coaches saw that. Passing Sticks will let you compete, but you won't get to the highest level unless you get a passing game.

Having said all of that, National, I respect your opinion, I just respectfully disagree. Doug
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I'm surprised at ....

"Ok, I guess I subscribe to the "Manhood Issue", because I prefer only to use the TTQB or TDQ when passing, because I believe that is a skill level that is being lost with any kind of pass simulation (and probably because I suck at pass simulation - can never get my guy to run to the stick)"

you Chris LeMay, ...................the "kicking cards" guy "disses" the sticks, but has his own version of "sticks" with Kicking cards............ Playing in the philly league they make you use the kicker for kickoffs and punts, ....... It adds another dimension to the game as well.

"any kind of simulation" argument can also be used against the kicking cards too.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Ok George,

From "THE KICKING CARDS" guy. VERY GOOD POINT. Honestly I don't even use the kicking cards very much anymore. Mainly just in solitiare play. I have never pushed for any league or tournament to use them. They were created as an option for the solitiare player mainly.

I would rather play using the TTQB for kicking as well as passing and will probably do so when I begin playing my "Tudor Classic" solitiare league.

Which is where I find myself leaning to more and more, getting back to the basics of the game and playing it the way it was originaly intended.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I like the kicking cards ..

and I think they are great for solitaire play, ..............I also feel that using the Sticks, is NOT like using cards, dice, or spinners...........which involve chance.

Many that rail against them think and argue that no skill is involved. I beg to differ..........

BuzzBall Pass Simulation still requires "skill" in the form of "O" coordinating/play calling, and KNOWING Your players, which is the coaching end of it as well as those of us who tweak.

AND as stated it make the "D" play "honest"..........
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Talking

All u guys make great points. I believe each tournament/league has its own character and format of play. I know this much when I started my EF experience about 4 years ago when I participated down in the Miggle Tourney in Huntsville, MD I was totally brand new and gave it a go. I ran into some great people who built me a team and saw my enthusiasm and passion for the game. I couldn't throw the pill for the life of me. I still competed and did well. I learned alot. I quickly realized this game has many intricate components. I realized if I jumped into a league I would get demolished. So I took a year to build a team. I had to find that franchise markee QB. I did, then I practiced and practiced and practiced. Then whatever I couldn't do myself I got the great people in the hobby to help me build it.

My point is that u can't learn everything in one weekend or tournament. You have to be patient and connect with the great people in this hobby. There are many different aspects to this hobby. Some coaches like to compete some like the friendship and fellowship others some like to tweak some like to paint and construct new figures its all good. Be patient and work hard. Success will come your way in time if you are really motivated to make it happen.

PS: Mr. National thanks for the props!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Pass Simulation

George, you're right even pass simulation requires some skill. I have used the NHFL Pass Attack system the most. I have no problem hitting the target with the TTQB, my problem is running to the ball marker to complete the pass because I really do not know my receivers abilitites (does he slant right, left or run straight) and how much right or left.

As an example the last time I played an NHFL game, on the last play of the game, I had a receiver wide open 80 yards down field and the ball marker at the 2 yard line. I hit the target with the TTQB from 90 yards away. All I had to do to win the game was complete the pass by having my receiver hit the ball marker. Because I angled the receiver to much he missed the ball by 1 yard.

So yes there is skill required to even play using simulations. A "skilled" coach develops whatever skills are needed to best compete in the format or rule set he wishes to play under whether it be base tweaking, offensive play calling, defensive play calling, special teams and especially play execution.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Sticks

I actually think that a game where only sticks are used to pass and you don't have the option to throw is one where you'd have a lot more of a chance that the defense, if positioned properly, can make a play on the ball. Forces you to be honest.

What I don't always like is the option to do multiple methods in the same game. I know why it's done, but then you really can use X method when it benefits you and Y method when it benefits you, etc.

I will pass with the TTQB when given the option because for me there is less chance of anything bad happening - but that's only after years of practice and game experience. It was the exact opposite when I started out.