Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default I would love more honest feedback from other coaches....

I know this idea is a little wacky, and very different from traditional solitaire play, but I am curious if the coaches here see validity in offering something outside the norm, for variety of play, and experience. Please share your thoughts, ideas, possible additions, things you would change about this concept, thanks!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My Preference is

To have passing in my games using the sticks, if for no other reason to add variety to my games. However, your type of playing does give us all another consideration/option. So good work!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default Thanks FRANK B!

I appreciate your nice feedback and kind words. I also have a passing Solitaire League that I run, that is just passing, and has it's own set of modified rules. Again, because it is me playing myself, it adds intrigue to develop a passing game against a defense that knows you are passing. I have used 4 dice with that league as well. One die for the formation on offense, One die for the play call, One die for the defensive set, One die for line adjustment and audibles. Penalties and Injury results could occur if all the dice showed the same number, all 2's, all 3's etc. I didn't want to have many penalties and injuries, but this was a way for them to be present, and give them a small chance to happen. Sometimes, simplicity is better, and i eliminate the dice all together and just play. It depends what mood i am in. Do I want to think and analyze, or do I just want to play freely. The beauty of Solitaire is that you make the call, and decide what works for you. The element I tried to achieve with my RADICAL RUNNING ONLY SOLITAIRE game, was to make every play count, and every play a possible scoring play, adding excitement. That is the element that I would like to see other coaches embrace in a secondary solitaire league.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:35 PM
First Round Draft Pick

This is similar to one of my solitaire styles. However, I don't use a points system like you though your version in quite interesting.

Hope it's ok to post what I do here to kinda compare.

In my version, each team gets 1 possession per quarter, 4 per game. Each possession consists of 10 plays. (One solitaire version is RUN only, one version is RUN & PASS). Just like real life, 4 plays to get a 1st down but must score a TD or FG within the 10 plays or turn the ball over. Each team goes 1 direction in 1st half, then switch ends in the 2nd half. College rules for overtime. Each team gets 1 possession per OT starting @ opponents 30. Only they must score in 4 plays. Each OT period the teams start 5 yards further back. Regular games usually last 45-60 mins. OT games an extra 10-15 mins.

I mite have to try your idea sometime to get a real feel on how they compare to play.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default THANKS TRIPLEOPTION!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your very clever format of play. I honestly find it very similar and quite interesting as well. We both impliment a run only format, which is also different and unique. Your scoring system is more true to life, than mine. Your game is slightly closer to real football as well, and that offers really great appeal. Both systems shorten the game, and keep games at about a one hour time frame, which i love. I would much rather play 3 games in 3 hours than just one! It allows for greater variety, and you can play through a schedule faster. The reason that i lean to my format is because every play becomes a scoring chance, and every play has more significance. That is why i developed it this way. It deviates from real football slightly, maybe with a little Arena Football Ideology sprinkled in, where there is more scoring, and scoring more quickly. I honestly think both of our systems have a lot to offer, particularly to coaches who want to try something a little different. It makes you think about the game differently, and twists it, so if you play multiple Solitaire Leagues, you now have something else to try and fool around with. I have been playing Solitaire Electric Football FOR ALMOST FORTY YEARS, with about a ten year break in between. I needed to keep the game fresh, so I wouldn't get bored of it. By incorporating different Solitaire Leagues with a different aproach and methodology, it has kept it interesting and still fun. I love experimenting with different forms of play, and I hope this thread inspires coaches to try new things, and vary from the norm once in a while, to keep it fresh for them as well!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
First Round Draft Pick

Default Any other RADICAL SOLITAIRE ideas?

I would love to hear what other coaches have come up with, with the intent of shortening a Solitaire game? Do you have a system in place where you can finish a game in a maximum of 75 minutes? What rules, ideas do you employ to do that? I would love to hear about them! THANKS.