Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default TV TALK

coaches,

I actually do watch. I just watched mike robertson vs the rookie last night.The other day i watched erg vs pep. Today i watch greg vs norbert. See i saved the games to watch later. just like tivo. The game with erg and pep was a game where they both seemed to be having fun during the game. You can tell by the dialogue. The problems with upstream.

1)The video starts and stops sometimes. THATS A USTREAM PROBLEM perhaps. Although their commercial ads seem to flow with ease.

2)some of you guys keep walking in front of the camera and staying their. I know you must ref and play the game so put the camera in a zone where NO ONE CAN CROSS

3)Please stop with the hand held video action, the camera goes all over the place, shaking, someone even dropped the camera during a game. Pans left and right away from the field.

the game with mike and the rookie was crystal clear.

i agree with frustrated fin fan, maybe 1 big feature match up per week where coaches know that is filming on the set day. Where all help out with filming, angles, and other various action. Slowly build to 2 games eventually.

***what times are you putting he games on ? You guys advertised mostly saturday mornings, saturday eve. Just like anything else in life, people have other life things they must tend to they could not do during the week because of work. In the evening on saturday, people have family things they are doing. When i get back home i remember there was a game on that day, i go look on ustream, find it and save it to watch whenever.

perfect time to broadcast a miniature football game via replay.

1)during football season-TUESDAY NIGHT

2)During spring or summer, also feb 10th or so after the pro bowl to april 15th tax day- GIVE US A MINIATURE FOOTBALL MONDAY NIGHT GAME.

Play it saturday and advertise it will be on MONDAY NIGHT OR TUESDAY NIGHT. The viewing should go up. Saturday mornings is suicide.

mantaraydre
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default One thing I will focus...

much more on are things that I do. Knowledge that I have gain through hard work, countless hours, and ingenuity, will definitely be put in play. Now, one of the things I have seen is, some MF'ers want something for nothing.

Yes, USTREAM does not give you NBC, ABC, and NBC quality but I really don't think guys understand the type of breakthrough this was. I had been working on this from 1997, with Live365.com to the Vegas company to now.
I invested my time and money just so the games could be shown live in households across the country. Some guys like Mozeek would pull the game up on his 72 inch screen and watch it like it was Monday Night Football.

For those who want to recruit people to the game (and we all say we do), this was the perfect mechanism. Just show them one of your league games and they would feel like a Hollywood star.

Mike Robertson always says, "If Reg is in, I am in". I love Mike for that because he knows, we will have fun, we will hype the game, and we will do whatever it takes to bring the game in living color - at my expense.

It's been a lot of hard work and yes, the advancements or highlights have been minimal. On some games, I have had upwards of 25 people watching at once. I will not do much broadcasting of anything that does not feature my products anymore. I figure, I put in the time, the work, the equipment and the knowledge so I will do what is best for what I see in the game and for my company's interest.

However, the advancements have been there-at least in my MF world. While some of us thought reality TV would be our way, this is our reality. A free Internet TV that may have some stops and starts because streaming video is just like that. From a scientific and technical point, there is differences in video equipment, the change from analog to digital, and things like "noise" that plays a major role across the network. It will always be a problem.

I will continue to do things from a broadcast perspective and those that watch, will watch. And those that will not, won't. People have choices and that's something we should all be able to live with.

Reg

Last edited by Reginald Rutledge : 10-13-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooMorgans View Post
I think this idea has potential. Kind of an EFL Films thing. The only issue is that at least in my league experience, everyone but maybe 1 person is playing league games at the same time. You'd have to set aside a Game of the Week where it gets star treatment and everyone else participates.

Ed
Great point Ed!

I do have video of one Championship game I won where we did a recap (like NFL Edge Matchup) of the game and it plays like a highlite show with spot shadows of the key points or players on the play. Not a lot of game noise during the game portion of the video mostly you hear the anouncer saying "wow or whoo" or something like that.

i have this on dvd but cannot get it uploaded....but working on it....
Old 10-13-2010, 10:43 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Many if the things Dre says are on point. A lot of kinks need to be worked out in order to use this as a marketing tool. A pre-recorded game of the week that's been edited by someone who knows what they are doing (like Jeff Eby or Reg) is a great idea.

You can't just slap a live game on air in it's current state and expect a huge following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydre View Post
coaches,

I actually do watch. I just watched mike robertson vs the rookie last night.The other day i watched erg vs pep. Today i watch greg vs norbert. See i saved the games to watch later. just like tivo. The game with erg and pep was a game where they both seemed to be having fun during the game. You can tell by the dialogue. The problems with upstream.

1)The video starts and stops sometimes. THATS A USTREAM PROBLEM perhaps. Although their commercial ads seem to flow with ease.

2)some of you guys keep walking in front of the camera and staying their. I know you must ref and play the game so put the camera in a zone where NO ONE CAN CROSS

3)Please stop with the hand held video action, the camera goes all over the place, shaking, someone even dropped the camera during a game. Pans left and right away from the field.

the game with mike and the rookie was crystal clear.

i agree with frustrated fin fan, maybe 1 big feature match up per week where coaches know that is filming on the set day. Where all help out with filming, angles, and other various action. Slowly build to 2 games eventually.

***what times are you putting he games on ? You guys advertised mostly saturday mornings, saturday eve. Just like anything else in life, people have other life things they must tend to they could not do during the week because of work. In the evening on saturday, people have family things they are doing. When i get back home i remember there was a game on that day, i go look on ustream, find it and save it to watch whenever.

perfect time to broadcast a miniature football game via replay.

1)during football season-TUESDAY NIGHT

2)During spring or summer, also feb 10th or so after the pro bowl to april 15th tax day- GIVE US A MINIATURE FOOTBALL MONDAY NIGHT GAME.

Play it saturday and advertise it will be on MONDAY NIGHT OR TUESDAY NIGHT. The viewing should go up. Saturday mornings is suicide.

mantaraydre
Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Year one of the CBSMF really put this on the map (Thank you Reg!). Playing Big 10 games on Ustream was intoxicating. Man I think everyone wanted to play on line that first year; and it was a blast! I don't think I have ever had so much fun playing as over at Jimmy Davis' house last year on a Saturday night.... I too had to spend some money to get my equipment right so I could broadcast from the garden spot....

Having had this technology available for two years and have seen some of the drawbacks and potential, live broadcast can be a great asset to the MFCA and our hobby. Some of the angles may not be the best, or a coach has his rear-end in the camera the whole game, and perhaps viewers expect too much out of a braodcast. All may be true, but I think what may be most laking is just a concerted effort by multiple leagues to get on board and braodcast games AND for coaches to watch and participate.
I have some games saved on my Ustream page from last season Big Ten.
Coaches can check them out at any time.

As Reg has said, broadcast could be valuable for solitaire too.....

Ken also did a tweak session that was off the chain (he made some Monsters!)

Applications of this technology are endless. We should really be taking advantage of it!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Talking Biggest Drawback...

is camera angles. I've tried to watch a few games and they're almost unwatchable. Half of the plays are fubar due to poor camerawork or coaches covering up the action. You can't ask coaches to move out of the way, so we just need the camera to get a better vantage point.

Put the camera overhead so that everyone can see what is happening

If you really want to go high tech (about$3k to $10l)http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content..._switching.htm, use two cameras (one overhead and one for on field action) and a control board

The only other thing that could make it better would be to have some play-by-play or analysis. This kind of stuff really aids the viewer.

Reg, thanks for all of your hardwork on this subject.

DR

The coach formerly known as "rollertaco"...

Last edited by roller : 10-13-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
is camera angles. I've tried to watch a few games and they're almost unwatchable. Half of the plays are fubar due to poor camerawork or coaches covering up the action. You can't ask coaches to move out of the way, so we just need the camera to get a better vantage point.

Put the camera overhead so that everyone can see what is happening

DR
All this can be done. You can switch cameras easily on the Ustream control panel; go to the trouble of an over-head camera, 1-2 viewers... Not worth it....
Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default This is what I know

Thousands of companies, football teams, hobbiest, and people use USTREAM daily. It is used on conference calls and so many resources. It does work very well depending on your equipment.

If you have old computers, the streaming rate is a lot slower. Less memory on your systems means slower rate of play. It never hurts to have quality cameras. Equipment like that does cost money in its own way. That's one reason I always championed nominal fees for watching games and How to things. Equipment get broken and there's no way to replace it!! Yet, people begrudge that part of it, thinking this should be free to view as well.

As far as what I will do with solitaire play, I have 6 cameras that are set up at various angles. Because I don't have a hired or accountable camera man to change the angles or walk around, this is what suffice.

USTREAM allows you various angles, where you can change the channel sorta speak. USTREAM changes its technology so based on the age of your camera, you may have to use an older version of USTREAM.

I know all this because I am doing some work for churches in the DFW using those same skills I learned for doing MF.

Games can be broadcast with great quality but it takes a united and massive effort by all involved to make it look real. You talk about broadcast analyst and play-by-play, that is something I have done here in the DFW area so many times. It is one of the reasons why the league here was able to recruit without much effort. When you have a realistic product like this in MF, it not only lends great credibility to what you are doing but it acts as a great recruiting mechanism.

I will be showing (in solitaire) what I would have wished we could have done in competition. The CBSMF will continue to have broadcast. Somewhere along the line, we will unite our efforts in one place and do something really big and special (most likely during the championship). As long as you've got some believers that what you envision, there's still hope. Again, our reality is what we make of it, not reality TV.

Reg

Last edited by Reginald Rutledge : 10-13-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Reg IMA give it to you down and dirty

Some styles of play I will never watch on TV because they are boring and very time consuming. Some people will watch the shootout style or a watered down version of it and some won't. Due to the fact that so many folks have a personal issue towards you or the style of play that has captivated so many into this Nationwide league, some are jealous of the fact that you brought something out to the masses. With that they will not do what you do because you introduced it and the envy will keep them on the sidelines without streaming video. So from yo potna in crime *&^% em!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default RJ, I can not...

worry about that or those that may have issues with me. All I can set my site on are those that can envision having a style of play on Internet TV. And that's who I try to cater to - those people.

I've been taking slings and arrows for 17 years on these websites but the truth of the matter is, since those slings and arrows have brought things like Internet TV, creation of leagues under the Shootout Rules system, and more, I am happy I did it.

I've had to discern the facts that even those who root against me have benefited but that's just a part of life itself. When you have had the experiences I have, you don't care or sweat those who are like that. You just try to do good for those who you can help, that's all.

Reg