Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My son Nick and I...

are going to be introducing this game at his school via an after school workshop series starting next month. This should give me some good experience with just what Wolf is talking about.

I don't think that it is a seriously daunting task - what is tough is that so many coaches feel that the way they play is the only way - and any suggestion of something different is tantamount to EF treason.

I believe the MFCA could put out a basic rule set that a newbie could grab onto and get started with (Nick and I have already done this with a couple visitors to the Man Cave).

As for us - we just love to play - and the fact that my son and some of his friends want to makes me the luckiest dad around!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default the reality

Reg is right, and I also thing George has a good idea.

The reality is that though a universal system would be nice for veterans who play in various leagues, it would be impossible to please everybody and it's not worth trying in my opinion. Reg. hit the nail on the head when talking about logistics. Since there are various leagues in existance in the nation due to travel distance and number of coaches there will be various rules of play. If there was only one national league then that's another story.

An idea I had awhile ago was that there could be a "national" league that is a part of MFCA (call it the MFCA league maybe) and one set of rules could be associated. This league would opperate just like all the local leagues except it would allow travelers the opportunity to play each other without having to play in many differnet leagues. I've not worked out the details, but it's an idea. This rule set could be the introductory offical set of rules for newbies that George spoke of if the newbie is not associated with any local league.

I would suggest and like to see all local leagues have an offical league rule set. Most are so named, but the DFW for example is called the "Shootout" rules. I think DFWEFL rules would be more appropriate at some time.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Coach

Default My Feelings Exactly!

Comrads:

That is exactly what I am proposing.

One rule set for the MFCA so newbies and novices can quickly come aboard.

Just like there is one constitution in the US, no matter what the differences be, the MFCA should present one rule-set similar to the the constitution.

It's just that simple, and educated, able, and intelligent minds should be able to get it done --even if it comes to a vote.

Carpe Diem,
Paul L. Gardner
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Agreed

I just typed a long response to this thread, but it did not take. Since it's so cumbersome typing everything I really want to share on this topic, I'll just say this... I am volunteering to assist with this effort. Although I think the rule-set should be simple and common, I believe it should also include a certain level of indepth detail. For me "pivots" are a very interesting topic. Some leagues/tourneys use the same term, but with slightly different nuances. This is just an example of many. I think this type thing needs to be identified and clarified.

I'm in...

-Adrian-

Last edited by BAXTER : 02-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I appreciate what you are talking about and the effort and thought being put into this, but I have to say it is a waste of time, really, The MFCA is not and should never be a governing body over any type of rules, never...
N-E-V-E-R period (just like Fred G. S-A-N-F-O-R-D period). The MFCA putting out basic rules for newbies is redundant, we already have them, Miggle does and the NFL provides the rest, get where I am going, if not, then check this:

A newbie in BF Egypt orders a board and accessories from Miggle, he knows basic football rules, plus he reads Miggle rules then he is set to go, he then meets some other dudes in BF Egypt and they already play Sea Wall Brawl style or they play Shootout or they play MPFL, the newbie then eventually plays whatever style is being played in his little village or he retreats back to the comfort and safety of his own little solitaire world where he can create an amalgamation of rules, like we all do when we play solitaire.

I don't see MFCA Leagues being assembled across the country that play by MFCA rules, this is not going to happen and does not need to happen. The newbie plays using his knowledge of football, using Miggle rules, even making his own rules adjustments and then eventually he'll leave the comfort of his little house and meet up with other dudes and play their style, the MFCA rules are not needed.

I mean the Miggle rules and NFL rules were good enough to get us all started until we found our little niche that we like to play in weren't they?

We should focus more on creating literature and media, DVD's etc... to promote the hobby and recruit new members, not a rules set that will fall to the wayside. We really need to get our membership up, it's pretty sad to think we only just broke 200 not that long ago.

Focus on recruiting, not another set of rules.

Sorry, hate to be an arsehole, but I think we should focus on other areas.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Unity

The rule set mut be done right without trying to please every one, that is the major issue. Every one wants what they like or think is best, some want what rules that cover up there weak area and high light there strong areas, this to me is wrong.

Many speak of unity, but what is it? Unity is a singleness, or oneness, a condition of harmony, a totality of related parts, without deviation or change, the quality or state of being one.

With the many ways to play this game there can be no unity because there is no singleness, no oneness.

Now this is good that coaches are trying to bring together a standard, and as stated, "WEIRDWOLF find the common denominators ".

The common denominator is and should be football! Not what you like or don't like but what is best for football .
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I beg to differ

Shabby J,

IMHO, in respect to Miggle, the MFCA is an association different from Miggle. The MFCA is "the" only organization of it's type on the hobby. No parallels of any sort to be drawn to Miggle.

As for the newbie, the rule-set is only one part of the association's overall mission. At least from my understanding, the proposed idea of a rule-set is NOT intended to govern the hobby of create a national league of sorts. Although of could be done and naturally I can understand one's hesitation and apprenhension. I seriously don't believe this is the intent.

To be continued in next post before I get kicked out...
Old 03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
MFCA MEMBER

my 2nd reply got lost again, so let me make this quick (2 more replies)
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I would say, whener something appears to be grey or you feel threatened in anyway, always refer back the association's mission, consult with Lynn or review the MFCA's track record. also, remember that although this is a topic of discussion for the MFCA, this difinitely not the only current issue at hand inwhich the assn is focused...

To be continued...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:12 AM
JIMBO

Default CTRL+A; CTRL+C

The risks you Blackberry users take!?! Use this trick, BAX: CTRL+A to highlight "All" that you've written and then CTRL+C to "Copy" it to your clipboard every few minutes if your device doesn't Autosave on its own, which it looks like it doesn't. Then if you do lose your data, click the cursor back into the blank text box and hit CTRL+V to "paste" it in. Hope this helps so we can see your thoughts!!!

As for a universal ruleset, what more does a newb need than the set that comes in any of the Tudor/Miggle games? Or maybe that just needs to be updated, is that what yous guys are thinking?