Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default What do you really want to accomplish?

I think some guys think that if the rules were changed to give the “O” a better chance to score, they may,…………… in turn,…………. have a better chance to win.

I think many rule sets are already biased toward the “O”, especially anything that employs the TTQB- Stop n Pop.

Over the years I have played under different formats, and
Raiderman and I have looked at many things for the Harrisburg BuzzBall Leagues.

This year, our college league has gone to FOB for Running Plays, Running backs ONLY. Since we had a few new guys in the pro season, many of them thought if they had a chance to establish a running game, they would increase their chances of winning with FOB.

I think if new guys want to have a better chance at winning, one way that helps is actually practicing and working with your team. ( read: Learn to use the TTQB and READ the rules)

I know going into BuzzFest who the favorites and dark horses are just by the emails I get for rules questions……………. These are the guys that are looking to see what they can do and what they can’t do, and already laying out strategies for victory………..

Another way of having better chances of winning is just that, ……..is add methods of chance, like spinners, draw cards, and dice….. but, many guys want/like to get full credit for their wins/championships…. But that’s another debate all together……..

If current scores are 14 – 7,………………. just by employing more “O” friendly rules, the scores will increase……….. but,………… the guys that usually win, will still win, and the guys that want to win, will still struggle only showing they lost with an inflated score, ………”O” Friendly rules will have the same guys winning 28- 14 instead of 14 – 7.

Bigger boards will open up the game without all the rule set changes. It opens up the game because you have more area to run your play, either running or passing, making the “D defend more area.

I think with all the knowledge being passed around and many in the hobby being do it yourself-ers, …….making bigger boards will become affordable………….hence, the game will open up for the “O”.

If you want to get some time on a larger board, come to BuzzFest, the plan is to have 16 PD -2520 s going, CorEy, make sure you bring yours….I may need an extra one or two just in case I don’t’ get all of them finished in time…..see you there!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Coach Rip,
What we are trying to accomplish is MORE FUN. It has nothing to do with someone getting an advantage. We have 2 16 yr old boys in our League. Thier idea of fun is to score. Not win. Lets face it we have had a ton of 3-0 or 6-3 or 0-0 games. Even the NFL changed rules to up the scoring. We want to keep the youth otherwise where is our hobby going?

Just my opinion. My son is one of the 16 yr olds. He loves the changes.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 PM
WallyJ

Bill and Geno,

With 20 play halves, that could translates to a each team just having one posession each per half? I think that you could bring up the point total by putting a clock on setup time between plays. More posession time should equal more opportunity to score.

You could also go to:

FOB Tackle
bump and run on the wide outs
allow the receiver to be pivoted after a completed pass
bigger game boards
pass emulation
and allow the TTQB to pass to engaged receivers.

To keep them interested you could also just throw out their PS3 or XBox

Wally
Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default To Open the game up

Why not try what is already out there ?

Last edited by Anthony D Burgess : 03-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default More "O"

That's why I entitled my post "what do you want to accomplish".....to understand the motivation for more "O".

My 11 year old son loves FOB too.........if the objective is to increase scoring to have fun, .......then employ FOB, turn and burn, triple option every play, and even using the sticks,..............why not make it you can place the ball at least at the end of the stick but have the option to place the ball further away from the end for a hail mary type plays.

Kick offs and punt returns will open things up too.

Add a fumble rule.

I just posted from the perspective of why some of our new guys were asking for more "O".
Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Yep, we just want more scoring...I still will lose...

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Good question!

I think coach Rip asked a legitimate question. I think Geno gave a great answer. To me, it's about having fun...and fun to me is opening up the "O" and having the game resemble real football as much as possible. I don't mind losing 28-14 or 14-7 as long as I have fun playing (don't get me wrong, I plan on winning just as soon as I get the hang of a few things). Some of the vets out there don't want to change things much and I would say that's ok too...as long as all involved are enjoying themselves. I've returned to this hobby because of the fun I had many years ago. Knowing how I am, and I'm just speaking about ME, if I'm not enjoying it I'll put it down and move on to something else. I know kids are the same way. Innovative play (and rules), along with enough offense will help keep it fun for me. As far as worrying about offenses running away with things, I posted a few weeks ago how my new pass simulation sticks have opened the game up for me. I'm still enjoying having incorporated this style of play with the TTQB (and soon...the TDQ) BUT I have already adapted on the defensive side of the ball and the game is that much more enjoyable. Wide open offense...strategy on defense and da kid is happy.

Oh yeah...a big board goes a long way in opening things up too.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I sure appreciate all the suggestions..

I've sent out a "ballot" to everyone and have already gotten enough responses from our league to yea or nay things..

Our mindset definitely is .. more offense will equal more fun...

Plus.. We really want to recruit more players for the TAEFL...
And lets face it.. It'll be a lot easier to sell 28-27 than 3-0...
And losing after not scoring a single point is pretty hollow..

Bigger boards will absolutely help..
Those will be coming down the road at some point..

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 AM
OU fan

Default I hear ya Bill......

I played 4 games in the league last year and lost 3 of those by scores of 14-0, 10-0, and 14-0. The ONLY game I scored in was a 2-td effort that I won 12-3. I was VERY discouraged at the end of the year, and not JUST because I didn't play very well in those 3 losses, but because I couldn't score points. The fun wasn't there. There was a couple of times where I might have gotten more points on the board, but drives stalled because of sacks or missed field goals. That's pretty frustrating all by itself. And goose eggs on the scoreboard took all the fun out of it.
Lynn and George are right in saying that the same coaches will still win, and the same coaches will still lose, BUT WE'LL HAVE MORE FUN putting tds up instead of punts. Geno and Bill hit the nail on the head: that's all we're trying to accomplish.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU fan View Post
I played 4 games in the league last year and lost 3 of those by scores of 14-0, 10-0, and 14-0. The ONLY game I scored in was a 2-td effort that I won 12-3. I was VERY discouraged at the end of the year, and not JUST because I didn't play very well in those 3 losses, but because I couldn't score points. The fun wasn't there. There was a couple of times where I might have gotten more points on the board, but drives stalled because of sacks or missed field goals. That's pretty frustrating all by itself. And goose eggs on the scoreboard took all the fun out of it.
Lynn and George are right in saying that the same coaches will still win, and the same coaches will still lose, BUT WE'LL HAVE MORE FUN putting tds up instead of punts. Geno and Bill hit the nail on the head: that's all we're trying to accomplish.

YA Terry.. What the heck happened after our first ever opening day 18-17 game? I think I've scored more than that 17 points ONE time since then.. And that was during the day of our 2006 playoffs.. and everything went right for me that day.

That's the day when I got the tweak just right on my linemen and ran over everyone.. And I still only scored 1 TD in my semi-final and the championship game.. SO.. moral of the story.. At this point.. We've GOTTA have a passing game to open things up.

But we were playing strictly NHFL rules at the time to get ourselves acclimated to playing that style.. Now we'll just do what we want..

PS Terry... We (you and I) already got voted down on front of base tackles only.. From what I understand.. that rule can cause more problems than good runs..