Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Coach View Post
Hey Shabby,

Look at all the coaches who answered your thread. They all have given you varied answers. I enjoyed reading them. Relish it. Take it all in.

Maurice

The Electric Coach
I am doing it Maurice, it's all good, I got some excellent replies.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up I agree...

...with Maurice. I've enjoyed this thread and I hope it continues for a few days. I've also learned from it sooooooo thanks for starting it Shabby J.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 PM
JIMBO

Default Squash It

(A) Shabby, in my 1st reply, I never named names and was not speaking (up or down) directly to you. I read that post yesterday too about "if it takes that long to tweak a base...yada, yada, yada." So, I guess I was directing my reply to anyone who cared to read a ranting!

(B) I never pointed to any of my former leaguemates in L.A. or anywhere elseyou saw fit to defend. I likened tweaking to wearing different types of shoes. It would be interesting to see me play with untweaked bases vs. SUPER TWEAKERS wouldn't it? Good. I'll be in town next week. I hope we can hook-up. PM me your numeros!

(C) I NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS DIRECTLY!!! Don't you know that yet?

(D) "Loose cannon?" What did I say that was so bad, other than taking 2 days to answer the question?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I think in 10 minutes or less gets a base to ~90% capability. The candle warmer has given me much more consistency and I highly recommend it. Its trying to squeeze that last little bit out that you can spend endless time trying to achieve!

I think I see things from both Jimbo and Norberts percpective. Per what Norbert said, you obviously can't compete if you don't got some talent on those bases, but per Jimbos points, there is so much more to the game. Knowing your players, setting the opponent up, speed thinking, passing, making in game adjustments, being able to play multiple styles, etc.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
(A) Shabby, in my 1st reply, I never named names and was not speaking (up or down) directly to you. I read that post yesterday too about "if it takes that long to tweak a base...yada, yada, yada." So, I guess I was directing my reply to anyone who cared to read a ranting!

(B) I never pointed to any of my former leaguemates in L.A. or anywhere elseyou saw fit to defend. I likened tweaking to wearing different types of shoes. It would be interesting to see me play with untweaked bases vs. SUPER TWEAKERS wouldn't it? Good. I'll be in town next week. I hope we can hook-up. PM me your numeros!

(C) I NEVER ANSWER QUESTIONS DIRECTLY!!! Don't you know that yet?

(D) "Loose cannon?" What did I say that was so bad, other than taking 2 days to answer the question?

We're good, no problems Jimbo, thanks for the reply, I guess I forgot who I was talking to.....

I am all for reading a ranting and if I can help set it off, even better!

Now, on to more pressing matters, lets keep the replies coming in, as some coaches are finding it to be beneficial. It's good to know to those starting to tweak how much time the more experienced coaches spend on each base and what their strategy is.

I like team cuts all season long as Dave Campbell mentioned. You keep an eye on your bases during game time and them note who needs to be cut and replaced. A team is ever evolving that way, I like it.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 PM
JIMBO

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby J View Post
We're good, no problems Jimbo, thanks for the reply, I guess I forgot who I was talking to.....

I am all for reading a ranting and if I can help set it off, even better!

Thanks, Shabby J! Let's try to hook up this week. I'd like to meet the new blood out in L.A.!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Fritz the Cat

Exclamation

It should only take a few minutes to tweek a base.

Within 10 seconds you should know if you have a good base to work with or not.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default how long have I spent tweak 1 base??

I think that was the original question....

1 hour on on base is the longest ... it still is deadly today - L.Thomplison on my chargers!!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM
davidmc

Hey Shabby,

I gotta give credit where credit is due. The "Dave Campbell" way is actually the "Vince Peatros" way. Yep, I got that "build a team strategy" from Him. The dude really has a great MF mind. I remember on a couple of early visits to his house, probably 1999 or 2000, he told me he could spend hours on 1 guy and my original response was that that amount of time spent on one player was crazy...who would have thought that I would have been doing this for the last 8 years

Anyway, I think Michigan Joe hit it on the head when he said that the first 10 minutes is about 90% capacity and the rest of the time is spent trying to get that last 10% (1 hour & 50 minutes).

As Vince put it way back in the day when I asked how he went about building his teams, his response was "I'm just looking for the next guy to cut!" Every player he had would have been a superstar on my squad and he is still looking to cut!

So that's where my thinking came from. Teams are evolving organisms.

DMC
Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default bases.....

dave i have to agree....having learned to tweek bases from vince i learned the same way.... after about 1 minute i know what i got to work with.. after about 10 mins i know if it is a hit or miss. However, that being said, after a game or two i know who is getting cut and redone and that goes on and on and on as i find new ways to do things or better bases to use etc.
I think if you just settle in with what you have then you will never hit your full potential as a coach. the fun for me is not perfection..it is the never ending pursuit of it that drives me forward.