Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Photo Gallery of Miniature Football
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Tools and Thanks

Thanks for the help. Gridironpainter, K-Lo, KC, Wattz, Dimitri, and anyone else, I appreciate the compliment. Its hard to create new things and being called a little bit original is the best. I've spent hours looking at old post, Wattz, Demitri's, Steeler 1, Michigan Joe, Franny J, etc....and Random figs. I try not to duplicate others stuff, but I know it's gonna happen sometimes. Ive read all the feedback ive been given and tried to apply the info in my way .

These are the pics of a couple of figs after I sanded (400Grit) away the seams and defects. I finally understand what you guys were saying about the Primer bringing out the imperfections. These are also the tools I use when scuplting. I complete the hands with just this exacto knife. The paint remover I sculpt with.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
I try not to duplicate others stuff, but I know it's gonna happen sometimes
It's not duplicating : we all use barely the same technics. You can see it when you read topics of me or Gridiron painter : we share about 95% of our method, not only us but 99% of the "advanced" minis painters (I prefer the term "advanced" because it's not a question of who's good or bad, but we just all use advanced technics).

for the tool, you can find things wich helps you to improve. I'll make pictures of my basic sculpting set, you'll see
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default the main tools

Hi again,

here's the 4 tools I NEED to sculpt. I always use them.

The best tool I've got is the "spoon" one. If you can find one, buy it, don't hesitate. It's the best tool to smooth edges or create hollows. Very all around tool. the other side of the tool is a usefull "arrow like" all around tool.

The xacto knife, of course, for hair especially, or fine details. Often I start with the wacto, then I use a bigger tool (or rubber tool) to smooth the surface I prepared with the xacto.

2 rubber tools : a round one (usefull for face details, smoothing hair, muscles hollows, clothes, etc...) , and a sharp one (armor plates, for example). If I had to choose one, I 'd choose the round one.

Notice that my rubber tools are really small : the rubber tools are size 0.

THe 3 other tools are the most usefull SECONDARY tools I've got.

a round blade : usefull for hair and regular cuts. Since it's round, you can sculpt lines without removing putty.

a big "spoon" tool : usefull for chest armor plates, and all "artificial" things I add to sculpt.

Last but not least (in fact, I put it on my top secondary tools) : the dart !

a nice chrome plate round pick. You'll find many use for it.

I've got about a dozen of other tools, very specific, wich I use a way less.

Don't hesitate to sculpt your own tools, or find some stuff usefull in the kitchen, etc... When you want to make something, and you can't, try to think "wich tool should help me for that purpose?" and find it, ot create it.

good luck, et congrats for your progress
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up Everyday

I try to learn something new, ive never used rubber sculpting tools, on my way to art store peace im out. keep up the good work hommie your on your way!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:32 PM
MFCA MEMBER

If I remember correctly, there is several rubber brushes categories, depanding of the firmness.

Mine are the "firm" range.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up 1 last thing

If u take a look back at some of my early sculpts, the arms & calfs are too big, ease up on the sculpy, your using too much. Remember the poses your sculpting over are at the correct porportions, when u add to much he begins to get bulky. all u want to do is enhance whats already there, so treat your muscles as individual items, sculpt the arms first then let it dry, add the pads over top, the dry muscles will be easy to work over.the pads should be the widest areas of the torso, except for the guys with bellys. dont over do the hammy's, they begin to look fat, the calfs are going to round, if viewed from a cross section they should have more of a triangle look, keep them high on the lower leg, ankles are going to thick. Lastly work in sections dont try to do the whole fig at once, least likely to mess up areas already done, from handling. hope this helps peace, & good luck!

Last edited by Megawattz : 08-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
so treat your muscles as individual items

Exactly ! Since you're using green stuff, make little "balls" of putty for each muscle, and apply it separatly.

Personaly, with the experience, I often work on the figs in two stages:

body corrections (shoulders, belly hair)

arms and legs

and optionnaly, the hands to conclude.

When I make the arms for example, I put little amounts of putty for each main muscle and apply it on the fig one by one, with a rough first sculpting effort, mainly with the metal tools (xacto and "mini spoon" tool).

Then, I do the finishing work, polishing the sculpting to make a good overall aspect. There you have to use the rubber tools (round one : muscles hollows, straight one : muscle surfaces).

You're on the good way, the evolution of your work is visible between the first attempts and now.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks guys. I tried to find the small sculpting tools but have been unsuccessful. I will keep looking. The last couple of figs I made, the new wr, lb's, I used the small muscle technique you guys were talking about. I tried for some variance in the muscles. The wideouts are tall, and I didnt want to make them too heavy on top. I only added stuff like hands small shoulder pads to keep them from being top heavy. Fumbles kill in the games and I didnt want to encourage those "hits". I tested them all and they run fine. Im going to make a few more linemen and Im anxious to try the improvements you mention. Ive been adding the Glutes and Hamstrings in an attempt to keep some of the added weight on the lower part of the fig for balance. I may have some time this weekend to do the linemen and I cant wait to share. Hopefully I can find the sculpting tools for a good price also. Thanks again
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up SWEETKA...looking for you..

Old 08-14-2010, 04:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default on ebay you'll find tools

Search for "sculpting tools" internationaly (especially UK), and you'll find it