Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetka View Post
Could cause legal issues for the forum.

People need to check before they buy. I always start off my deal by checking the party involved then I still proceed cautiously. If you don't trust them with your children don't trust them with your money.
How would a person go about checking someone out ? I know you say give you a call, but maybe your transaction with that person was the exception ....not the norm .
Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I know that one thing that I practice is to only take orders in writing via pm, e-mail, etc... That way, there is a paper trail of what was agreed to between the buyer and seller, and there is no he said-she said. If I agree to do a custom job for someone in person, I always try and follow it up with a pm or an e-mail to confirm the transaction.
As far as payment is concerned, with me, I take payment once the job is completed, and then ship the item(s) out. If it is a larger job, I take a down payment, then collect the rest at completion.
MFCA member #31
Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I agree Nobert

I think a forum should be made to tell who you should buy from and those you should stay away from. Great Sellers should be praised for their great work! Those sellers that are not up to snuff may up their game too. Also those sellers who are on the no no list, may not know what they are doing wrong and they can work on it. It would be great for rookies to see, that way they don't get angry and leave the game, all because one bad deal.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Quick solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
How would a person go about checking someone out ? I know you say give you a call, but maybe your transaction with that person was the exception ....not the norm .
I have been selling and trading football items since, well, since Ebay first started listing items. Myself, George Diamond, Mike Pratt, way back then. Before Buzzball.

One thing that stays the same is the crooked people. So far 100%. It's not that many, just repeat offenders. To be honest I can give you a no-no list based upon many instances not just my own. But the forum prohibits that.

I do business with Chris Stacey, Mike Guttman for my teams. I give them half the money up front. Actually I would give them all the money because they put things in writing and have proven to be extremely credible. I take extra care not to let anybody screw me out of my money because when it comes to cash I am cut from a different cloth. There would be no diplomacy, no paperwork, unless I'm being booked. Got too much going for that so I ask around and check. Just that simple.

I don't claim to be a know all be all I merely offered what knowledge I have. Norbert's idea sounds fantastic but while that is being moved from talk to action, going through legal red tape, etc, someone else could be taking a swim. Not if I can help it!

Last edited by sweetka : 05-27-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I think you have to name names. Call them out, and make them accountable for their actions. I have heard stories as well. The most recent story is Rick Garrison's son (L.A.) sending $ to someone in DC for a customized Ravens team, which he never received. ...Rick's son is now turned off to the hobby. Why protect dishonest people who are not good for the hobby. As I have said many times, the protection of the rotten apples in EF will be the down fall of this hobby. I'm not saying ban them, but call a spade a spade, and make them accountable for their actions.

I want to make this clear...the deal between myself and the other party WAS RESOLVED BY US TO SATISFACTION STATUS !
the 2nd party re-embursed FULL PAYMENT in a timely manner.

the fact of my son , although unfortunate, has nothing to do with the deal.

Last edited by Pirate Rick : 05-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I have received numerous pm's and emails from people who feel they have been stung-both buyers and sellers. To all of them, I have issued the same notice which has been posted almost since the inception of the Trading Forum.

There is no reasonable way to legislate this unless someone on here wants to take the time to be judge and jury over every case that arises and also assume personal liability when the word slander comes up. We can't get people to volunteer to do the fun positive stuff let alone take on this role or responsibility.

There are 2 options.
1) ebay/paypal (they have million dollar lawyers and an extensive process in place to handle bad sales-I've used it myself with great success!)
2) sticky thread where only positive feedback for good trades can be made. If someones name isn't in the "good traders feedback" thread, don't buy from them.

As always, buyer beware...that is all the MFCA can do from a legal standpoint. I don't want to see people taken, but there is no other option. I have talked with other websites who have attempted to have trade forums and in the end, for all of them, it is a hands off policy/enter the trade forum at your own risk. I have also found reports on sites being sued and taken down over trading forums.

A good traders feedback thread may be the best solution, but even then there will be those who try to insert bogus good trades.

Good luck with this one, but don't expect the MFCA to do anything more than what I suggested above. Many of you don't know this, but if the MFCA is sued for any reason do you know who has to pay the bill and face that suit. The answer is...me. I stand to lose personally as I am the lead name on all the paperwork. I simply cannot or am in any way willing to take that risk. If it wouldn't kill the forum, I would eliminate the trade forum all together without so much as blink of the eye, but I know what it means to most people on here.

For me, I only buy from people I know or via ebay. There is no way I would buy from anyone in the trade forum unless I knew them very well.

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I have to say like other painters I have never had a problem with a customer so far. I know I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but I have been invovle in over 150 transactions and the way I do it is the same as others have. I ask for half down and the balance when I'm done with teams or figure. It is a shame that some have been burned by some dishonest sellers. I agree that you should ask around about someone before you buy. If a painter,customizer is good and trustworthy there will be enough people to vouch for them. Just my little two cents.