Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Tweaking

Quote:
But I also beleive that you don't necessary need to be a tweaking master or spend hundreds of dollars to make good games and have fun.
Well said Dimitri.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Very well said French Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the french guy View Post
For me, tweaking is just another side of the hobby. Like painting, customizing, or playing. You can like it or not, tweak or not it's a part of it.

The thing newcomers have to understand, is that you don't need top notch tools, 1st run-whatever 10-20usd/base to tweak decent bases to have fun and good play.

My own tools setup cost me about maybe 15-20USD. A pair of pliers found in a hardware store, some 400grit sandpaper, a cliper and a big kitchen lighter. The bases I use : anything available on the market (with a preference for buzzball products).

My best bases are around 4seconds/100yards, running straight, on a 42" custom board. My average bases (not as reliable as my best ones) can run the 40yards in less than 2seconds. My strongest bases are a way stronger than my fast bases.

Of course, finally I'd probably be mashed up on a "pro" tournament with the best tweakers, playing the game for years with top rare bases and "secret tools and technics". But it's suficient to play the game for me.

Tweaking is one of the "weapons" of the best MF players for sure. I also believe that tweaking basics are necessary to really embrace the hobby.

But I also beleive that you don't necessary need to be a tweaking master or spend hundreds of dollars to make good games and have fun.

If competition is a problem, simply create major and minor leagues. In slot car racing, it exists for ages. Some of the racers use complex cars, with $$$ and technical experiences, some others ones just buy a car and run it on the track.
SOLITAIRE

Simply keep that in mind for our hobby devellopement.
I could not agree with you more, French Guy, and I wish I could get guys that fast and strong

All some of us are trying to say here is that in order to grow the hobby, bring in new people, especially young people who don't have a close relative to mentor them at home, we must make what The French Guy is saying common knoledge.

Most people who stumble across this site or seek it out because they 'used' to play MF, because Santa just left a new board under the Christmas tree, or whatever brings them here, will not understand from a quick look around that

a) basic tweaking is essential to a good a experience whether you tweak bases yourself or buy them at a reasonable price, and yes, both tweaked bases and tweaking tools can be bought for a very reasonable price.

b) just about ANY member here is more than willing to discuss the hobby, give out FREE samples, advice, and coaching to new members WHO SEEK IT OUT.

c) this hobby can be enjoyed at ANY level of competition, and in multiple ways when it comes to skills; tweaking, painting, molding, sculpting, decaling, ..........................

All we need to do as a group is organize ourselves in such a way so that the individual who drops by the MFCA web page doesn't take a quick look around and 'check out' becuase the first things they see are $300 custome teams, and boards, or disucssions about tweaking and other skills that they cannot begin to comprehend. Don't jump me now, there is nothing wrong with any of those things they are just not what the new comer needs to see to get them hooked on this hobby. They will seek those things out on their own once they are involved at the basic/begginer level. We have to make sure that happens or MF will die a slow death as we all get older and pass on ourselves.

Other teachers out there back me up on this please: No one will ever stay focused on, let alone interested in, anything they cannot quickly comprehend and envision themselves doing, doesn't matter what it is MF, algebra, religion, politics, or whatever. To make it worse, if they can envision themselves here, being an MF'er, and then get the first impression that they don't have the resources, knowledge or money to do it they are gone, probably for good.

I am a good example. When I stumbled on to this sight last fall through my eight year old's discovering my old Tudor board in the basement I NEVER would have jumped in if I had just visited the sight and looked around. I was interested enough to actually post a quesiton or two. Several people responded and I got in touch with Tom and Mike and the rest is history.

The porblem is that most people will not do what I did; reach out to 'a bunch of crazy adults playing a kids game.' When visitors come to our sight we have maybe five minutes to hook'em or they're probably gone. And, at any given time there are usually more guests than members on line; look for yourself when you log on.

This would not be a very hard thing to accomplish in my humble opinion. So, without sounding pushy, arrogant, or condisending, I'm very sincere in this: BOD guys, let's do it!

Perhaps I'm nieve but that's my final two (probably more like ten) cents worth.

I hope I've explained myself well and not offended anyone.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I simply enjoy tweaking and getting better at it. I think it's fun to try different "stuff"...I should probably enjoy practicing passing more if I want to increase my wins
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default BEST POINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by the french guy View Post
Tweaking is one of the "weapons" of the best MF players for sure. I also believe that tweaking basics are necessary to really embrace the hobby.

By far one of the most important points to consider in reference to tweaking.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My POV!

This hobby still has too many guys who want to be "right" instead of what's right for the hobby. To much convo on who's right about tweaking...not enough on how to incorporate "tweaking" into the experience of newbies or those that don't have the talent.

I noticed no one commented on my post on a DVD (or something) for people to learn how to tweak. The conversation continued going down the path that it did. My point is not about comments on my input but about NO FRIGGIN SOLUTIONS!

If the amount of energy spent going back and forth on topics, chest thumping, and those determining who's ways/products/tools are the best (or not) and more energy were spent on how can we enhance the hobbyist experience then perhaps we can get somewhere in moving "our thing" (spoken in a mafioso dialect ) forward.

I do agree with Dmitri's point though.

D
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drk View Post
The problem is that most people will not do what I did; reach out to 'a bunch of crazy adults playing a kids game.' When visitors come to our sight we have maybe five minutes to hook'em or they're probably gone. And, at any given time there are usually more guests than members on line; look for yourself when you log on.
Ready to join the website committee? I loved what you had to say! You are exactly right about the 5 minutes....I have been harping on that over and again. The problem has been getting people to actually do something at this level. Could use any help you are willing to give. Call me or email me to discuss...weirdwolf@weirdwolf.net 8168910802

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default MY POV

There is a ton of info,plenty of info on BASIC TWEAKING. We have done it to death and everyone keeps asking for it over and over and over.........Its all here ................maybe it just needs to be packaged better. It isnt that we dont have the info to share iTS THAT WE DONT SHARE CORRECTLY WHAT WE HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will only retain a certain percentage of people introduced to this hobby no matter what we do. Retaining shouldnt be the focus necessarily......but INTRODUCING IT TO MORE PEOPLE. We are fishing the ocean with a spidermans kid fishing pole......when we need to be in a fishing ship with a gigantic net.

Said in a very loving caring voice.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default it could happen and has happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitchild View Post
This hobby still has too many guys who want to be "right" instead of what's right for the hobby. To much convo on who's right about tweaking...not enough on how to incorporate "tweaking" into the experience of newbies or those that don't have the talent.

I noticed no one commented on my post on a DVD (or something) for people to learn how to tweak. The conversation continued going down the path that it did. My point is not about comments on my input but about NO FRIGGIN SOLUTIONS!

If the amount of energy spent going back and forth on topics, chest thumping, and those determining who's ways/products/tools are the best (or not) and more energy were spent on how can we enhance the hobbyist experience then perhaps we can get somewhere in moving "our thing" (spoken in a mafioso dialect ) forward.

I do agree with Dmitri's point though.

D
as far as putting tweaking on DVD... it has happened and could happen again.

The one thing about the whole thing is that some of us get $$ for this knowledge of tweaking and even though it's available for anyone to do - some will still be better than others just like painting and etc. And some will still want $$ for the knowledge............

on the MFCA video, I did a short tweak on a base and you could see the results, but that is not enough to go over all the little things one would do while working on 1 base to get it right. A DVD of those thinks would be boring to the general public but GOLD to someone wanting to "get it".....

k-lo
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno H View Post
There is a ton of info,plenty of info on BASIC TWEAKING. We have done it to death and everyone keeps asking for it over and over and over.........Its all here ................maybe it just needs to be packaged better. It isnt that we dont have the info to share iTS THAT WE DONT SHARE CORRECTLY WHAT WE HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will only retain a certain percentage of people introduced to this hobby no matter what we do. Retaining shouldnt be the focus necessarily......but INTRODUCING IT TO MORE PEOPLE. We are fishing the ocean with a spidermans kid fishing pole......when we need to be in a fishing ship with a gigantic net.

Said in a very loving caring voice.

Geno H
That's my point Geno. I agree with you that the info is available. Let's focus on packaging it for new people. Let's focus on getting a bigger net.

I think Drk is saying what many have said over the years. What if you're new and don't know nuthin'. Let's make it easier for them.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know what you need from me ..........I'll help in anyway I can.

Geno H
Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com