Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
hicy

Cool rules of the game

Please bear with me a little, I am a returning to the great game of EF after many years of retirement (from the game at least). I played as a child and until receintly thought that the game had been lost to antiquity and may have fallen prey to the computer. I am glad to see that players like you have been keeping it alive. It is now time to initiate my 11 year old son to this exciting and fun gaming experience (this already has begun and he is hooked).

Now, my ideas on writing rules. I believe in preserving the purity of the original as much as possible (keeping it as close to the original gane for future generations). I know nothing (yet) about customizing bases, players or "boats", but i learn fast and would like to know more (any teachers out there?).

The rules should be kept simple with clear cut examples such as "a player is deemed out-of-bounds when any portion of the base touches or in on the white sideline"

The first and foremost rule should be "this is a gentleman's game" (regardless of the intensity of any one's own competitiveness) and must be played as such. As with all games, those players who feel that they are always right and who fight tooth and nail to always prevail when contested spoil the enjoyment of the game and become those type of coaches no-one desires to play with. I am the owner and coach of my team. Those gridiron poly players are the team (and many times seem to have a mind of thier own). Sure, as thier coach and mentor, I want them to go un-defeated and bring glory to thier name. I want them to run (vibrate) faster, catch every pass, make every block, put the ball through the up-rights and play flawlessly... but I must remember, we are but mere mortals and prone to make mistakes. Therefore, as the coach, I must see the field, and the actions that take place there, as they really are and not as I would hope they would be.

So, after that rambling, when it is coach vs. coach (with no 3rd party ref) and there is a call on the field that is being contested...should you allow a red flag (say 2 per game per coach) which automatically reverses the call? Of course, this could only be used when there is disputeable evidence that the call was correct/incorrect. Outside of the 2 red flags, all calls must be agreed upon (in a friendly manner, with friendly discorse) by both coaches.

Thanks for being here...SEE IT BIG & KEEP IT SIMPLE.
hicy.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:43 AM
hicy

Default rules continued

Anthony D. B. has the right heart about all of this....Preserve the game and see it through a child's eyes (we of the original era, or close to it) will be pushing daisys someday and there will be those who will come after us, and hopefully after them. Make the "official" standard rules simple and easy for all (regardless of age, income, or customization ability) to compete equally. What comews out of the box is what comes out of the box.

For those who have been customizing for years and are used to thier "pumped-up" players may find it challenging to play against my 11 year old with standard equipment right out of the box (he may just have fun also).

There is plenty of latitude for customizing, boiling (whatever that is), extra weights, roller skates if you so desire, etc. in the friendly "backyard" game between coaches. But if the game is to count towards a compitition or league...then it should be "as in the box"...after all, is'nt preserving the game what the league is all about in the first place?

Just my thoughts...but then, who am I?
hicy
Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I agree with hicy. I know when I got back into the hobby it was very difficult to keep up with some of the things going on. Weighted players. boiling, customizing ect. If we are going to try to be embassadors of the game and to recruit new players, we must keep it simple and very affordable. So, as this post continues it makes more sense to keep things not so much out of bag but very simple. Must have a weight limit and allow customs but the figure must stay within a player box. I belieeve the box should be the dimensions of a base. No one part of the figure should extend past the perimiter of the base. Hey Wolf, are you going to start a list soon for the equipment or how is this going to work.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I don't think this question was adressed either. What color jersey for offense and what color for defense? I vote for white jersey offense and dark color defense.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
JIMBO

Default Good Points

I truly feel the best way for any new member of our hobby to learn all the "How to's" is to join their local league. Other than that, then they would have to do what we ALL did 10-12 years ago............READ!!!!

These "suggestions" are for those we "assume" know a lil bit about REAL football and address "how to" simulate different REAL life aspects down to the miniature. We're not trying to teach people how to play football - they should already know. Or maybe I'm wrong in "assuming!" We can talk about that on a different post.

With that said, there are "standard" figures that extend over the base, so the "WxLxH box" would have to be a lil bigger than a base. Unless we're gonna modify and customize every figure so that it doesn't extend over the platform. That would change most of the passing rules. If we don't want to do that, then the limits would have to be based what's already out there:
  • MAX WIDTH = Fab5 DB
  • MAX LENGTH = BB CVR / OL
  • MAX HEIGHT = ff.com "Blitzer"

Jersey colors should stay "standard" and that right now is:
  • Offense = Dark
  • Defense = White

Last edited by JIMBO : 12-11-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Jimbo,

I forgot about those figures. i agree with all of them. I didn't know the standrad was offense-dark jersey, defense- white jersey. I have eight teams and there all white jerssey offense, dark jersey-defense. Oh well. usy
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
MFCA MEMBER

STAY ON TOPIC
We have already drifted a couple of times. Please reread the first post if you have forgotten what this post is about.
We are only discussing what equipment should be allowed and the limits for that equipment.
This post is NOT about agreeing or disagreeing.
ONLY what YOU want to see for equipment.

Agreeing and disagreeing comes in another post once this info is compiled.

EQUIPMENT CHOICES ONLY...STAY THE COURSE!!!!

THIS WILL TAKE TIME....don't get in a hurry. I expect this series of discussions to last for the better part of this next year. Lets shoot for the middle of January to end this post and then move to the next area.

THANKS TO EVERYONE....this is going well and can continue so if everyone sticks to the rules of debate.

—Idiom
3. One Bad Em-F-er, negative shout out; pertaining to weirdwolf: There goes one bad EM-F-er. I mean he can’t play and ain’t never win nothin’!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:58 AM
JIMBO

Default That makes "phonetic" sense

That's how I started out. Ya figure "D" is for (D)efense and (D)ark, so naturally Offense would be the (O)pposite. Oh well. I have 1 team "the old way" and since then I do all my teams with the new "split squad" scheme. I guess ya wanna show your colors on Offense, so they're Dark and my Defense is bland, so White is appropriate.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
JIMBO

Default WW: How 'bout...

...you start the next topic(s) now 'cause Rules affect Equipment and vice versa.

IMHO, if we examine all of the Tourneys out there, there are numerous likenesses. The differences are few i.e. The BRAWL allowed ALL figures; we used the Strategy Divider; ABC tackles and allowed either TTQB passing or "The Sticks." The HFL uses the ATTAC passing system and doesn't allow customs; The TSO's weight limit was 4.0 grams; Miggle uses Miggle stuff ONLY! That's NOT a lot to overcome or to blend together. Gameplay is basically the same.

All there is to figure out is:
  • Figures
  • Weight limit
  • Tackles
  • Passing
  • Kicking
  • Timing

Now we should be able to just play ball. Game play is easy - it's Football!

Or you can nominate 9 people that are going to Jacksonville and we can duke it out there. I'll be there, LMK.

Last edited by JIMBO : 12-11-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default K.i.s.s.

Keep it simple stupid is the saying for this post why? Not for the post of anyone here but for the play that can be formed here on this forum.
Equipment
Figures: Linemen O & D 4.0 or less
All others under 3.5. Giving Reg's figures a role without drilling.
Bases: Any that have been made, because it's not the make of the model it's whom drives it. Tweak and succeed.
Field: Any as long as you have a good runnig board. No junk.
Footballs: All that are produced with limits on the size. No lima beans
If there is something else to be covered I guess it would be the rules, but that's up to each league. Lastly conduct....JUST PLAY AND HAVE FUN!!!