Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default what style are you using.

coaches,

What style are you using for your game play. I developed a style i really enjoy. I through in some tidbitsfrom the pro set league and MPFL. But i created a new style.

I just found a punting system i like. I brought a punter figure from 5-12 that looks incredible. I will use that 1 figure and tweak 10 different bases for it.
all the bases will run quite differently. some may go 60 yards straight and some will be tweaked to go 15 to 20 yards then curl. All ten bases will run at different lengths. I will put the 10 bases in a box. when a team needs to put, i will reach into the box and grab a base. all bases will look exactly the same.
for example, ten polo green rookie bases. This way i will have no idea what is going to happen in terms of it moving down field. if i grab the base that only goes 15 yards, the punter shanked the kick and the receiving team takes over with great field position. THERE WILL BE NO RETURNS ! The board will run for 2 to 3 seconds. Where any of the ten bases end up after 2 or 3 seconds is where the receiving team will take over. The mystery is, reaching into that box for a base. I have no idea if it is going to be a booming kick, or a shank. That keeps punting honest for me. im thinking about not looking at how i put the base on sometimes. If i put it on backwards and the punter start moving in the wrong direction. I will consider that a blocked punt and keep the board running until the punter enters the endzone or turns out of bounds. That would simulate the punt was blocked and it is being returned.
It works out well,

thanks
mantaraydre

Last edited by mantaraydre : 10-19-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I'll be using the same rules set I use for ECFA and EPFA, though probably shorter games.

I'll put a post up in the ECFA thread at some point detailing the entire rules set.

Ed
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default NJLMFL Kickoff Rules.

I will start the first rules thread for kickoffs. This is how I do it in my league.

Flip a coin to see who gets the kick.

Home team goes right to left in the first half and left to right in the second.

Sides would switch again for overtime.

For my kickoffs I use a 30 sided dice (easy to find online) and a small chart.

Setup-

Kicking Team- The kicker lines up in the middle of the field at his own 45.

He is flanked by 4 guys on each side lined up at the 50.

I place 2 guys behind the kicker as safety defenders one at the 30 and one
at the 15. These guys make alot of TD saving tackles.

The return team lines up at their own 30 with the 4 lineman type figures between the hashmarks. There are 2 players flanking these linemen on each side at the 30 so your front wall is 8 players across. I put 2 players directly on the hashmarks at the 20 as the wedge blockers. The kick returner hangs back until the ball is kicked.

The Kickoff

This is very simple. I roll the 30 sided dice and whatever number comes up that is the yardline the returner starts from. This covers rolls from 1-20. Turn on the board and watch them go.

The small chart for kickoffs comes into play on rolls from 21-30 as follows

21- Returner starts at goal line but fumbles when tackled. You can do your recovery how ever you choose. If the returner runs out of bounds or for a TD the rule does not apply. You may angle the returner to the sidelines if you wish to avoid turnover but will give up field position.

22- The kick simply goes to the goal line.

23- Returner muffs the kickoff. Roll dice again and thats where he recovers his own fumble. Anywhere from his own 1 to the 30.

24-Kick goes 5 yds deep into endzone. Coach may choose to run it out or take a touchback. You could also use a dice roll using evens or odds to make a random decision(this is what I do).

25 thru 29- Automatic Touchback.

30- Kick out of bounds. Offense gets ball at midfield.

**At the end of any run back where a tackle is made. I roll the dice again for a penalty or fumble. If the ball carrier goes out of bounds or runs for a TD then I am only rolling for a penalty.

If the roll is 13 there is a penalty ( you may make up your own penalty rules).

If the roll comes up a 1 there is a fumble at the spot of the tackle ( your own rules for recoveries).

If the roll is a 30 there is a fumble as well and you go to your recovery rules but here is where my unique Challenge rule comes into play.

If the return team recovers just continue play.

If the kicking team (defense) recovers then the recieving team(offense can challenge the ruling on the field. Stop the clock. Simply roll the dice one more time. If you roll evens the call is reversed and the runner is down by contact and the kicking team(defense) is charged a timeout.(no timeout taken away if inside of 2 minutes of each half or overtime-booth review). Roll odds and the kicking team(defense) recovers at the spot.

***I use this same rule after every play of the game where a tackle is made.

If the ball carrier goes out of bounds or runs for a TD then I am only rolling for a penalty.

This also makes it possible for a player who is running back an interception or fumble to actually fumble the ball back to the other team on the same play. I've had this happen on occasion.

The average starting field position is between the recieving teams 35-40 yard line.

This sounds like it takes a long time to do but it really is very quick.

Mike

Last edited by dogwood30 : 10-19-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
MFCA MEMBER

ECFA/EPFA Kickoffs & Punts:

Kickoffs:

Kicking team lines up at its 30; Receiving team lines up at the 50. The returner is at the goal line, replaced by a magnetic referee. Board runs for 4 seconds. Returner (who isn't on the field) replaces the magnetic referee. Kicking team unengaged players are pivoted. Make the run back. Any touch is a tackle. Note, if a kicking team player reaches the back of the end zone, or touches the magnetic referee, it's a touchback and the ball is placed at the 20 yard line.

HOW-EVA ...

Teams only get a return on every other kickoff. For the second kickoff a team receives, and every other there after, there is no lineup. The receiving team gets the ball at its 25 and starts its possession from there.

Punts:

Punting team has 7 men on the line of scrimmage, and three gunners outside. Magnetic referee is the punter, 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, behind the center. Defense cannot line up on the gunners. They set up 7 on the LOS, 3 players 40 yards deep to serve as blockers, and the returner is off the field. Any punt into the end zone is a touchback.

The board runs for 2 seconds to see if there is a punt block (tackling the punter) and to let the gunners get down field. Then, one 6-sided die is rolled. 1-3 ... add yards to a 40-yard punt; 4-6 ... subtract yards from a 40-yard punt. Then, 2 6-sided dice are rolled. Those added together (2-12) determine the yards added or subtracted. Any unengaged kicking team players are pivoted, and 4 seconds of hangtime are run off. If one hits the magnetic referee, the play is over. If not, and the time expires, the returner is placed on the field, unengaged defenders are pivoted, and the return commences.

HOW-EVA ...

This is only done on every other punt a team receives. For the second punt and every other one after that, there is no lineup. The dice sequence is executed, and the punt is fair caught wherever the dice determine it lands.

I've found these so far to produce very acceptable punt return averages. Kickoff returns tend to be 30-50 yards, but with the team starting at the 25 every other time, that's fine by me.

Ed

Last edited by RooMorgans : 10-19-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I like your punting rules Ed. I have been experimenting with all kinds of different ideas over the years. I think this is the toughest facet of the game to duplicate. Mine are similar to my kickoffs which I will get into later. I actually have 2 punt charts. One is for punts out of your own territory and the other for punts inside the 50. I've come up with some results to really pin a team deep in their own end as opposed to going for a long FG.

Mike
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks Mike. Every thing I do in my league is experimental, and if I think of a better way down the road, I'll try it. But I'm pretty happy with the way everything is working right now.

The only issue, because of my timing rules, I will say that may games run 6-7 hours. Now, I tend to play them over 2-4 days, so it's not that big a deal, but I may cut things down a bit just to save some sanity.

For the purposes of this conference play we're going to do, my PFL games will simply be 30 plays per half.

Ed
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Just out of curiosity I checked my last couple of Super Bowls which are the only games I record every play and it turns out I averaged between 60-70 plays per game so your 30 plays per half sounds pretty much right on.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default THE BEAUTY

COACHES,

I ma currently working on a logo idea. I will reveal the name once the logo is completed.

All i sk is the we all live by the honor code and record the team your representing 100% accurate. If you have a horrible passing day, record it.

i was thing of making hofstra 4.0 and all the conference teams weighted. This way my team will have a harder time and no favoritism will be present. IT WONT BE ON MY BEHALF. I want my guys to win and lose honestly. The dice are going to call the plays not me. Im playing stops and using the mpfl style timer. i cant turn the board off when i want. So if the dice call for an all out safety blitz, my qb my be sacked if they are quick enough to get there before the board stops.

What your going to like about this set up is we can all do our own thing and it will count under one league. All the rb's will be put in the same standings where there rushing yards will be tracked.Qb's for passing yards and touchdown passes. etc etc Just like another league.

it will be fun once set

thank
mantaraydre
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Picture of NJLMFL Kickoff Setup

Here is how I line up my guys for kickoffs. The average field position from this setup is between the recieving teams 35-40 yard line.

Mike
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default SCHEDULING AND TOP TEN POLLS

COACHES,

HERE is a preliminary look at the top ten AP POLLS

1)AIR FORCE

2)EVANSVILLE

3)MISSOURI

4)HOFSTRA

5)NEBRASKA

6)COLORADO

7)KANSAS STATE

8)FLORIDA STATE

9)CLEMSON

10)SMU

** Trying to figure out a way to get 3 more teams in the top ten.
ALL TOP TEN TEAMS SHOULD PLAY AT LEAST 8 TO 9 GAMES

** STATS WILL ONLY BE KEPT FOR YOUR CONFERENCE REPRESENTED TEAMSAt this point that is

1)airforce
2)evansville
3)missouri
4)hofstra

All other top ten teams are there as AP polls fillers. Please note, depending on the wins and loses roller coaster. Any of the ten teams can jump from 1 to 10 and everything in between. Colorado may turn out to be the number 1 in the nation but no stats or heissman hopefuls will be recored for that team Whether your represented team is number 1 or number 9, all stats and heissman hopeful watches will be recored accordingly.

schedule making

CONFERENCE REPRESENTED TEAMS

All CRT'S should play at least 8 to 9 games

AP POLL FILLERS

These teams need to play 8 to 9 games also for top ten national ranking purposes. here is how it broke down.

1) COLORADO is in the north east conference and the big 8 conference
EACH CONFERENCE WILL SEE THAT COLORADO PLAYS 4 GAMES. That will give them 8 games

2)KANSAS ST is in the mountain west conference and the big 8 conference
EACH CONFERENCE WILL SEE THAT KANSAS STATE PLAYS 4 GAMES. That will give then 8 games.

3)NEBRASKA is in the north east and big 8
The north east will see that nebraska play 5 games.
Big 8 president, please see that nebraska plays 3 games in your conference.
That will give them 8 games

Att. pioneer league and mountain west league.
I may need you both to choose 1 or 2 addl teams as a non conference team for yourselves. Agree on the same teams. This you can see that those teams are worked into your schedules to get the enough games (8) for the polls.
Please see if you both have the same college teams available. For example, do you both have , florida, miami, florida st., michigan, etc etc

Thanx
mantaraydre

Last edited by mantaraydre : 10-23-2010 at 08:40 AM.