Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default OUT WEST COACHES

OK 1ST LET ME SAY I LOVE THE COACHES OUT WEST BUT ......................
" F " THE OUT WEST, IN TWO MFCA CONVENTION A TOTAL OF 4 COACHES CAME TO THE MFCA CONVENTION AND THEY ARE
JEFF E. 1 TIME
MIKE T. 1 TIME
RICK G. 1 TIME
AND CELO TWICE
SO WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GOING OUT WEST BECAUSE OF WHAT ?
WHY BECAUSE ALL THE COACHES OUT WEST CAME EAST (NOT)
I STILL LOVE THE WEST COACHES BUT DON'T SAY BECAUSE THEY CAME TO THE EAST THATS WHY WE NEED TO GO OUT WEST.
THATS "B S "
The cbsmf should go out west

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE YOU AIN'T ME
I'M JIMMY DAVIS AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE

Last edited by Jim Davis : 08-14-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

MFCA un-official West Coast cheerleader......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
OK 1ST LET ME SAY I LOVE THE COACHES OUT WEST BUT ......................
" F " THE OUT WEST, IN TWO MFCA CONVENTION A TOTAL OF 4 COACHES CAME TO THE MFCA CONVENTION AND THEY ARE
JEFF E. 1 TIME
MIKE T. 1 TIME
RICK G. 1 TIME
AND CELO TWICE
SO WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GOING OUT WEST BECAUSE OF WHAT ?
WHY BECAUSE ALL THE COACHES OUT WEST CAME EAST (NOT)
I STILL LOVE THE WEST COACHES BUT DON'T SAY BECAUSE THEY CAME TO THE EAST THATS WHY WE NEED TO GO OUT WEST.
THATS "B S "
C-mon Jim..... Its not the Mid-West Miniature football coaches association. This is a NATIONAL association, and there are are more than just one or two good coaches in the West. Its not right to keep asking these coaches each year to fly 6-8 hours each way to participate in the MFCA Convention.

Frankly these guys have done a heck of a job over the long run in promoting the hobby. Nissan commercial, other film ventures, a long running and successful league... 2 full seasons in the CBSMF and an added conference that also finished their season.... I don't think they get the credit they deserve for what the have accomplished....

And Celo's right, I believe we have an opportunity to do some recruiting but we need to get there to do that. Its un-culivated and NO organization has held a Convention out there.

Dude Its time....

I know not everyone from the East and Midwest may not make the trip to Vegas or Los Angeles, (noting also that MANY coaches form the Midwest and East did NOT go to Canton), but for crying out lout, can we make a "sacrifice" for the rest of the country, sit out a year if we have to and give these guys an opportunity to host a convention? Let's do something crazy and think about someone else for a change.....

Its not only the smart thing to do but its a fair thing to do!

GO WEST young man GO WEST!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Keep the MFCA in Canton or better yet move it to Cleveland, there is no need to focus on any one style or even to have a tournament, everyone can gather and just hang out, scrimmage, play games under the various rules, teach your rules, learns others rules, etc...
The drive to the HOF can be made, yet the city of Cleveland offers much more for familes. Imagine all the coaches from various leagues and states just hanging out, no pressure, just chill and mix it up in the other styles, have fun,
compete in the skills challenges, etc...

This was the spirit of Eric and Dave's Open Run when it first started and it was a blast, just hanging, tweaking, running plays, scrimmaging, Pro, College, whatever. I know how much fun we had with just the LA guys at the Open Run, it would be a blast to do this on a national level. The competition will be there, the greenroom rumbles, the smack talk, etc...

The CBSMF can be free to move around the country to the various conferences year to year.

These two entities do not need each other to survive.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default MFCA Future

Thus far we’ve received many good ideas, comments, pros and cons to the initial concept of holding a reunion event in Canton every August, keep them coming. The MFCA in conjunction with the PFUFA and Pro Football HOF are developing a great relationship allowing us to demonstrate the game on a large scale at the HOF, obtaining tickets to the Enshrinement and the HOF game. What could be better for a football fan? Secondly, we’ve received lots of good commentary on moving the annual event to different parts of the country within the MFCA regional structure.

Let’s face some facts and constraints:

- Miggle is not interested in co-hosting a miniature football event with the MFCA at this time. They have their reasons, and they may change over time but not now, so we should not push it. Just respect their position and let us concentrate on our own goals and objectives. My thanks to Mike G for representing Miggle.

- Two or more annual events may be a stretch for our young organization and may be a financial burden to most in our hobby.

- We have an obligation as an organization to promote the game equally across all regions.

- A hotel venue for any big MFCA event is the best, the Hampton Inn in Massillon was great but no convention rooms are offered there.

-The reunion event could also cater to other facets of our hobby, painting, collecting, sales of custom equipment, etc…. I’ll never forget the convention floor in South Bend, you had the big 3 in Tudor collectables all in one place, Dearell, Ty, and Ed S. If you needed to complete your collection they probably had something you needed.

- We need to promote out west, with a convention, tournament or something.

The way forward has to start within each region, all seven at this time. I like the concept of an MFCA regional tournament where each regional winner would play for an MFCA championship. By having seven MFCA qualifying tournaments each region is promoted equally. So I’m talking 8 annual events to include Canton. Any coach is welcome to travel to any regional tournament. Seven regional champs plus 1 more coach to fill out and 8 team tournament for a national championship. The eighth coach/team could be filled with the previous year’s winner, or runner-up, or third place finisher. Any and all MFCA members can register for any regional tournament, but you have to be an active MFCA member to participate in any regional event. Each region will use its rule set but the rules will rotate for the annual national tournament. The final 8 team single elimination tournament could take place in Canton beginning on Saturday with play ending in time to attend the enshrinement, with play resuming on Sunday with the final 2 coaches. Friday night will always be reserved for the reception dinner, HOF inductions, MFCA awards and maybe a quick Green Room Rumble or points challenge games.

Option 2, the region whose rule set is being used in the final-8 tournament hosts the MFCA Championship. Meaning a second major event for one of our regions. Along with the final 8 tournament other competitions can be run in parallel at that venue to make worthwhile for all in attendance. Thus, the Canton event will remain a “reunion” event with the points challenge as the premier competitive event and possibly a Green Room Rumble along with the regular events. We’ve grown accustom to.
One more thing, a ranking system. A few years ago we had the Tom Rusink/Ed Morgan ranking system where points were accrued via order of tournament finishes and by the number of events supported/attended and competed in. The more events you participate in and do well in would give points for MFCA Coach of the year.

These are just a few more ideas to consider as we address this complex problem. I know I went long but we have a lot to consider.
Thanks, Ray F/Manhattan Ray
Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Coach

I can understand why folks close to Canton would always want the CBSMF tournament close to home, but it isn't fair. I have not traveled to the Midwest or East for EF, but many folks from that region don't travel west either. I can understand that. So, rotating the event gives each region a chance to shine and exposes more coaches, players and newbies to the game at the highest level. That has to be a good thing. Keep the MFCA in Canton. That is a nice place for EF, coupled with the HOF game and the NFL....but let's rotate one of the major national shows. Bring it to Dallas, Vegas, Atlanta, L.A., Chicago, Kansas City and more.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treks1 View Post
We did regional events in year one of the MFCA. Jimmy D and I went down to Columbus and met Matt Culp for our regional event. While the company and games were good, I question the particiaption. For some reason, many coaches just don't get out of their comfort zone, even when a National event is held right in their own state........
We were not even sure we were going to be able to have the tournament in Columbus it until 2 weeks before it was supposed to take place. We may have had 8 coaches play in the tourny . I know I did not play because I did not even plan for the tourny , I did not take the time off and was only able to compete in the fastest man contest .
I know I did a lousy job getting the word out , even to coaches within our league.

I know with better planning we could have 4-5 regional weekends and then 1 big event .
I think of the fact that we have 50 - 60 coaches , maybe more than that within 3 hours of my house .
If we could only get half of those coaches to compete , it would be a huge success.
I just think it needs better planning and a set date planned months in advance like Beenutt said.

I feel the sky is the limit with the proper planning.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Regional tournamnets

I did propose a series of regional tournamnets to the BOD last January. Here is a lnk to that discussion thread.

http://www.miniaturefootball.com/for...php?t=16402ead .
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default LET ME SAY THIS ABOUT THAT.

Coaches,

When any organization decides to have a yearly gathering for it's members. It it supposed to be a national gathering of fun for a weekend. THE MFCA HAS FOUND IT IN CANTON. NOW YOU WANT A SPLIT. If it is not broke, DONT TRY AND FIX THINGS.

At the miggle in jacksonville mr. landsman expressed the EXACT WORDS.
[b]" We don't mind throwing the party, as long as your still wanting to come to them."[/b

My problem with this situation is many many coaches DO NOT show any interest in the MFCA PARTY. WHY, it's not the travel, IT IS NOT CATERED TO THERE DIRECT INTEREST.

THE PHYSCE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, THERE ARE THOSE WHO DO, AND THERE ARE THOSE WHO DONT. If a certain style of play is not detected at the convention, many say, " I not going, they do not play the ruleset i play. HERE IS THE BIG PROBLEM. When coaches saw that the CBSMF partnershipped with the mfca convention, some twisted it around and thought it was the CBSMF SHOW and the mFca tagged along to give it more strength. IT IS THE MFCA'S CONVENTION AND PARTY.

Every single, league and tourney from any region had the opportunity to bring its show all under one roof. but nobody did it except the CBSMF. With them doing so, it was assumed it was just there show. NEVER THE CASE.

The stearn center has plenty of room to accommodate every ones tourney on the same weekend under 1 stearn center roof. arrangements would have been made to bring a lot of extra boards. ANY TOURNEY CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE HAD FREE RANGE TO COME TO CANTON AND SET UP THERE TOURNEY LIKE THEY NORMALLY WOULD. But, i only saw 1.

its a fact that many coaches are like tourney solitaire players, , they will never travel anywhere. There only interest in a tourney is if it is 10 minutes from there house. Im writing this because this hit home last year

It's sunday eve convention 2009, we are closing down the stearn center getting ready to go to the tailgate then the game. At this time some coaches
where going home. I walk outside and there is ned flanders packing things in his car slowly. Most of us know ned in in a wheelchair. I walk over to the car and ask can i help him. He said he was ok, he was almost done. Then he slowly got into the car headed for the hotel or airport. Mind you, during the convention, ned was playing, winning, filming the games, getting up and down. truly passionate. On the way to the tailgate party i said, man, THIS GUY CAME FROM CALIFORNIA TO CANTON TO HAVE A GOOD TIME WHILE WHEELCHAIR BOUND. I also said, that is a testimate to if you were truly interested in something you would make some sort of effort.

$75 for AN ENTIRE WEEKEND AT THE STEARN CENTER (CAMP IN) WAS ALSO CREATED TO SAVE COACHES MONEY.
I put out a post when the convention was first announced to please place your vacation time in with your jobs a year in advance so that wont be a set back.

im just trying to understand why there are some coaches who did not show up to all three. WHEN YOU KNEW ABOUT IT A YEAR IN ADVANCE.
A wise gentlemen i work with always say's, "just showing up anywhere you need to be is half the battle" wedding, kids soccer, counseling, etc etc. YOUR PRESENCE IN FAR MORE VALUBLE THAN MONEY OR YOUR WORDS.

I wish coaches would be honest and say why they refuse to come.
1)missed the first one, things come up
2)missed the second one, o.k, see you at the next
3)missed the third one, I think a pattern has developed.

Be honest, why cant you come. If its the ruleset just say it.

Here is why miggle works, THEY HAVE THERE OWN CONCRETE RULES . Also, they keep everything at the same hotel. MFCA NEEDS A RULESET RIGHT NOW. IM WILLING TO ADOPT THE PHILLY RULESET AS THE MFCA RULES SINCE MANY COACHES LIKE THEM SO MUCH. PLUS EVERYONE LIKES NATIONAL WHO IS THE COMMISH SO NOT MUCH COMPLAINING WILL TAKE PLACE. KEN ALLEN CAN EXPLAIN THE RULESET EXPERIENCE HIMSELF.
Any other rules can be played late night just like at a miggle tourney.
PICK A RULESET RIGHT NOW, HAVE IT UP BY FRIDAY.

I do want to come to la and vegas but on my own. i owe shabby a visit. Also broncoman because he travels like crazy. BIG RESPECT TO CELO COMING FROM CALI, ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYERS IN THE HOBBY.
CELO ALSO HAD HIS BOARD WITH HIM.
FINALLY MET RICK GARRISON, I ALWAYS WANTED TO PLACE THE FACE BEHIND THE POST WITH VINCE.

CALI, DONT GET CRAZY, IM DYING TO GO TO LA, never been. You must respect the west coast though, they have created an entire entity out there by themselves. I do agree something must be done out there but im not sure what. maybe if they put on a west coast convention along with the open run the interest would grow. Rememeber, a lot of coaches do not play with the shootout rules. Im trying to slip over to the santa anita.

The entire premise of this post is why some will not come out and support the MFCA. it cannot be fixed if your not honest in your answer. What was not there that made you decide to stay home ?

The same can be asked of coaches from ohio. If the MFCA moved to vegas, would you come now that it is not in your backyard anymore ?

MANTARAYDRE

Last edited by mantaraydre : 08-14-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up Great Summary Dre, and I agree fully!

The CBSMF is designed for a certain ruleset. No give, minor modifications.

Some of the greatest coaches have played by the NEFL, Mid Ohio, Original Great Lakes, DSMFL, Dixie, and other leagues. All these rulesets are similar with a few points of separation to be honest. Shootout is far different and not truly played by the masses. Michigan, at great expense, California and Texas play that style with others adopting some form. Having said that we are definitely excluding many coaches with that partnership. Those are the facts.

Here are more: Only 4 coaches as opposed to 10 showed up this year. You had 17 teams show up at the tournament and some: Joe Allore, RJ, Dre, and others were additions at the end who had not played at all. You have a 32 team league, Adrian Baxter, and several other full leagues that travel to Miggle that are not here because the CBSMF is perceived as overshadowing MFCA thus limiting both the CPC experience. I recall many coaches lamenting on that fact last year and being a part of both personally, I understand the huge challenges of trying to balance the two. Moreover, from an organization standpoint, assurances were made that the CBSMF would not be so all encompassing but as I left the Stearn Center Sunday the CBSMF Championship Game was still being played. I saw four people and could hear the crickets. Needless to say something in the planning stages went awry.

I personally think the Open Run is an optimum home for the CBSMF. There are allegedly thirty "guaranteed" coaches and then the few that travel. It's an established event and I think a match made in heaven. Simply, make the Open Run the Big event for the CBSMF and the western region as a whole.

MFCA should continue the stategies that made their initial convention a success. I heard that more time than not. Adding the playoff with many of the great coaches who have disdain for Shoot-Out (yahtzee, crap game, luckyball) can then play with rules closely resembling NEFL which promote the same game pace without all the complexity of a board game. That would then be the eastern. Finding something for the south is also a challenge. I feel by starting at this point everyone could benefit.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Rules

Quote:
Some of the greatest coaches have played by the NEFL, Mid Ohio, Original Great Lakes, DSMFL, Dixie, and other leagues. All these rulesets are similar with a few points of separation to be honest.
I read the rules for the NEFL and I agree that they more closely resemble what most coaches play by.

As Chariman or the Rules Committee for the MFCA and CPC Championship Game, I was disapointed to learn that the rules that we wrote for the Championship Game were not used. However, I am OK with that. It was my understanding that the coaches involved in the Championship Game could play by the rules of their choosing. And since I was not able to be there, I really can't say a whole lot anyway.

It will be my recommendation to the BOD that a new set of rules be developed for MFCA tournamnet play using the NEFL rules as a model.
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans