Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Solitaire (The all by myself forum)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Gopher and Bison Rosters

Individual numbers are yet TBD. Some positions may change. Heisman hopefulls are bolded.

Gophers: I dug way back to the very beginning of Gopher football for these guys.
QB/DB Johnny McGovern
RB/C Bruce Smith
RB/T Bronko Nagurski
WR/C Moses Strathern
TE/DB Lorin Solon
TE/LB Clark Shaughnessy
T/LB James Walker
T/LB Fred Schact
G/DL WW. “Pudge” Hefflefinger
G/DL Alfred Pillsbury
C/LB A.J. Baldwin

Bison: These are all Bison alumni that made it to the NFL.
QB/DL Jeff Bentrim
RB/LB Lamar Gordon
RB/LB Tyler Roehl
WR/DB Stacy Robinson
TE/DB Tyrone Braxton
TE/DB Craig Dahl
T/DE Phil Hansen
T/LB Joe Mays
G/DL Mike Dragosavich
G/S Nick Schommer
C/LB Steve Nelson

If time allows later I'll put together media guides for each team. Some of these players have some interesting bios.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Offensive and Defensive schemes

Any of you guys know of a resource for actual offensive and defensive schemes? I thought it would be cool to run stuff form my teams in years they won their championships.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default DRK

DRK,

I will look for some minnesota schemes tonight.

Mantaraydre
Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Playbooks

Go to "fastandfuriousfootball.com " there are over 100 college playbooks>
Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default drk, we must talk roster

DRK

is their any reason why these people are not on minnesota's roster ?

1) #9 TONY DUNGY QB (HEISMANN HOPEFUL) COACH OF COLTS, BUCS

2)#21 MARION BARBER RB (HEISMAN HOPEFUL) COWBOYS

3)RICK UPCHURCH WR (HEISMANN HOPEFUL ) BRONCOS

4)#79 BOBBY BELL , LB-DE / CHIEFS MR ALL WORLD

5)#76 CARL ELLER DE ( I DONT THINK I NEED TO TELL YOUR ABOUT HIM !)

These are some all time incredible players that played their and you left them out. YOU HAVE 3 HEISMAN HOPEFULS UP THEIR !!!!!

MANTARAYDRE

Last edited by mantaraydre : 02-15-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default You do know the great ones Dre........

.........All the names you listed are very worthy and the case can be made they are more worthy than a number of individuals on my roster; no argument there.

It's the criteria I settled on for my roster that got them. As I started researching Gopher players I found it impossible to not leave someone off who was very deserving with just eleven positions to hand out.

So, I decided to go back to the very beginning of Gopher football and start there.

You already know Nagurski needs no support. He's the only player ever to get All American at two differnt positions in the same season. There was no Heisman when he played or he would likely be a three or even four time winner.

Bruce Smith made the team as Minneosta's only Heisman trophy winner.

McGovern was an All American in 1909 and won the Walter Camp Award. He was known as Minnesota's 'Iron Man'.

Shact was the first Gopher All American in 1903. Strathern followed in 1904.

Walker followed McGovern as an All American and Walter Camp winner in 1910.

Solon and Shaughnessy won All American honors in 1913. Coincidently, a Junior wide out on my highschool team is a Shaughnessy; checking to is if theye're related.

W.W. “Pudge” Hefflefinger was the most famous Yale Bulldog of his time. He was a three time All American but few know he played one season, sort of, for the Gophers in 1887 before starting his career at Yale.

Pillsbury, a huge name in Minnesota history in general, was a founding father of football in Minnesota. He actually played eight seasons for the Gophers from 1885 - 1892.

A.J. Baldwin, captain of Minnesotas first team in 1882, is credited with scheduling the first game in school history on September 28 of that year. He scored the first points in school history and led the Gophers to a 4-0 win over Hamlin.

My team will be coached by Clarence Lester "Biggie" Munn but I'll save that story and other details about my rostered players for later.

I love the early history of football and that's why I went the way I did.

My team inlcudes three of the the teams earliest personalities, the first six All Americans in school history, and the two greatest Gophers ever, Smith and Nagurski.

That's my team!

The Gophers you mention and other greats will have to wait thier turn to be on the Gophers roster in future Row Show seasons. This is is the first Row Show so I decided to go with 'firsts' on my roster as well.

Let The Row Show Roll!

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A Minnesota, Minnesota, Goooooooooooo Gophers!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Oh yah, forgot......

.....Unless you want other wise Dre I'll stick with three Heisman hopefulls. The offense I plan to run will favor those positions.

I'll also add that not all players on the roster are in their actual positions. I put the individuals I wanted on the roster and assigned positions as best I could to what was needed.

Some positions may chnage as I plan schemes.

The same goes for my secondary team NDSU. I haven't done as much with them yet.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default same thing

Drk,

Im doing the same with south carolina. Im getting players from 1901 and beyond. i have the roster from 1895 to current. I like to develop teams that way. I always liked the old time football scene from pictures and films. Those are the players i like on a team. I found a player named A.M. DEAL who will be the gamecocks starting qb and heismann hopeful. This kind of stuff is fun to me. I never understood doing an all current team. I wil; coach DEAL and make him a star, IF HE HITS HIS PASSES. I was up all night going through the gamecocks history. Those things can take hours but i think it is worth it.

mantaraydre
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I agree.....

.........I'm having so much 'fun' researching my Row Show teams that actually playing the games will be 'icing on the cake.'

I'll probably wish to hurry to finish the games so I can start researching next year's rosters.

I just love this stuff. I sat and watched Gopher highlights from the thirties for my whole prep period yesterday; shhhhhh, don't tell on me.

Plus; I'm just excited to actually have a chance to run some of the classic schemes from those days.

Miniature Football is what is making this all possible. I LOVE IT!

In fact, my solitaire league is all based on the local history lessons I teach to my sixth grade students each year.

In the future we should do a Row Show league with pro teams from the early days: Bulldogs, Eskimos, Staleys, ect. That would be COOL!

Let the Row Show Roll!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I did not know T. Dungy played QB in College.....Just read his Wikipedia bio...very interesting...Thanks Dre for that info....

Last edited by mozeek : 02-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.