Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 05:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default On any Given Day: Anybody can lose in the CBSMF

One of the greatest things about what shows up in the CBSMF is that "On any given day, anybody can lose". Now, the mentality of how a person wins has to change. The culture has to change. The thought that "I am stronger than you so I should win". Some people use to say "the Shootout style was 2-hand touch". Be that as it may, it is a style of play that does not running backs average 25 yards on 5 carries.

It is a style that the great runners average 7,8, and 9 yards per run. That's still too high of an average for my blood. With that being said, some teams get in 50 plays alone and leave a ball game with more than 90 plays ran. It just depends on the officiating. But the thing is, everybody has a chance to win and everybody has a chance to lose in this style of play.

The culture changes from "If we were playing such 'n such way, you would never beat me. That is not the case. Teams that may not be as strong physically as others but may be more skilled or cerebral in their approach and that can be the winning edge.

If you lose one week means nothing in the Shootout. Some guys think they have a patent on winning and you wonder, "How will they accept losing when they lose?" It is inevitable. Will that coach then blame it on "The Box" or use every trick in the book to try to win? Sometimes it just happens - you lose!

But on any given day, you should know that you can lose. The greatness of playing this way is that you never know how "The Box" will roll that day. Sometimes it's your best friend and other times, it's your worst enemy!

It can change the flow of a game in a matter of seconds. I call it momentum. It will be interesting as the season grinds to a close which teams will play well in Canton. We can do all the analysis, predictions, and postulations we want but at the end of the day, really, nobody knows. So many teams are so close from a skill position and knowledge and physicality that a game can be won with a strip of the ball, a devastating injury, or a crucial penalty that turns the tide.

The culture has changed. "The Box" is becoming integrated into the thinking of the CBSMF Leaguemates. Everyone tense up when it is shaken but most still rely on it to help them win. The opportunities will be many for most coaches but remember, on any given day, anybody can lose in the CBSMF.

Catch the Action in Canton - August 5th thru August 8th
Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up Agreed.

This particular year the box has taken more than it has given. Quite frankly, I haven't liked it one bit and have often times considered playing somewhere without it.

Yesterday, Norbert lost four fumbles but he still had a chance to when. After seeing that I realized my fumble or two could be overcome. You also have to be effective on both sides of the ball. Sure, my defense was not as great as last year but offensively I was better, scored more, and became more dangerous as the year progressed.

It's just different in every way but I would still like the balance of playing without it as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Coach

What I think the box lacks is positive plays....

Right now, it typically only helps the defense. The defense can get injuries and penalties...but I haven't seen an injury change a game yet. Penalties can be significant. Problem is, all the other results are negative to the offense.

How about adding something to make shaking the box bad for the defense as well. Perhaps, you could have the option for a "breakaway" and add 20 yards to a run or completed pass?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:36 AM
MFCA MEMBER

I'm sorry to be advocate but the box most certainly goes both ways Robert...
ODD or EVEN... Offense or Defense

Injuries play a big part too.. ask ECU.. he lost his starting center and left tackle vs me at different parts of the game... it certainly change his game plan.

I personally think the box is what keeps electric football alive... love it or hate it... You always get a roar one way or the other after you hear "DOUBLES" called

just my 2 cents, celo
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcelo View Post
I'm sorry to be advocate but the box most certainly goes both ways Robert...
ODD or EVEN... Offense or Defense

Injuries play a big part too.. ask ECU.. he lost his starting center and left tackle vs me at different parts of the game... it certainly change his game plan.

I personally think the box is what keeps electric football alive... love it or hate it... You always get a roar one way or the other after you hear "DOUBLES" called

just my 2 cents, celo
I agree 100%.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Hey Wolf

, we need a icon to show grey tape around the mouth, mine is coming off.

P.S. In my game against Jim, the box rolled 4 fumbles against me , 3 of the 4 fumbles were TD's .

P.S. I have a question, has any coaches stop playing the game because of the box ?, I want stop, but on the 4th fumble against me, I walked away from the table towards the street and had a smoke, I didn't call a timeout or anything, the guys didn't say a word cause they knew that was (clean word here) MESSED up..

Norbert Revels
Pro Prospects
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Norbert's Box

I just usually buy a whole new set of dice at that point Norbert... The box giveth, the box taketh away.....
Old 07-19-2010, 09:33 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Norbert....here are my thoughts about the box... Geno H
Attached Images

Proud MFCA member #22
Visit G-FORCE @ www.gforcetdq.com
Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I have seen injuries change...

the course of a game. I have seen starting QBs get lost for a game because of an injury and the coach has no confidence in the second stringer. He throws the ball and it is then picked off. He then refuses to throw the ball the rest of the evening because he just can not trust himself to make an accurate throw.

I have seen (in reality) teams have 3-4 fumbles stripped in a game. It does not happen all the time but there are games when the outrageous will happen. Teams learn to play through those situations. It will make you a better coach.

The Box is an equal-opportunity killer. What happens to the defense does happen to the offense as well. You can be making that huge drive at the end of the game and have an offensive pass interference happen. It totally sucks your momentum and you lose! I've seen it happen both ways.

Like Saintcelo said, this is one of the things that keep you coming back for more. It's addictive. It PO's you but just the intrigue of not knowing what will happen makes it that more entertaining. You've got to play in it a while to fully appreciate what it does. As long as you play in a style of play that gives you about 80 plays or more to work with, there will be countless opportunities to rebound from an infraction, injury, or fumble. It just has a way of working out.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Having played 2 seasons under the CBSMF, in general the box appears to have the greatest effect of taking BIG plays away from the offense, even though the odds may be even.

I have seen more TDs taken away from the offense than 3rd down sacks turned into first downs against the defense.

I don't really have an issue with it in that the rules tend to favor the offense and scoring. Being able to stack receivers and one more motion in the backfield than the defense is allowed is a great advantage to the offense.

Even in Norberts 3 turnover game, how many touchdowns did he end-up scoring? The game went into overtime and he still had a chance to win. Love it or hate it I don't think it should be changed in any way.

My 2 cents.