Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Passing sticks- variable target?

I don't know if it is just me, a casual gamer that doesn't have the skill to tweak bases to run perfectly straight, but it seems to me that completing a long pass is harder than it should be. I understand you must "lead" the receiver farther, but in reality, long passes are not too hard to haul down if you're wide open. I am thinking of trying a variable pass target (larger target for longer throws, same passing sticks used). Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Think about this

You have a lot of variables when it comes to this game, and these variables must work together. Sad to say that how this game is played restricks the actual football application.

Go to my web page and look at the you tub data, read about my system and see if this is something you like.

The MPFL is user friendly, you do not have to be a skilled TTQB passer or base tweaker, just an understanding of the game of football.

My system does something no other form of playing in this hobby does, and that is it educates you on the game of football. Position by position, coaching by coaching, it teaches you what has to happen player by player to have a positive play.

Just find bases that run the way you like and the system will take care of the rest, all you need to do is practice.

Now this system may not be for you, and that is alright, just want to offer you something to look at and think about.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Brian McAtee

Default what I use

You are talking right up my alley. Here's what I use. I use the yard marker posts that came with the Miggle 620. I also use a homemade passing stick. I just grabbed a paint stirring stick for the paint store, and marked out some distances on it with a pencil for yardage and distance. I'll try and get a picture of this when I get my new website fixed up.

But I am not a base tweaker. Don't have the time and paitence for that. It's never really been that big of an issue for me. If the guy misses the intended target, he misses it. Tough luck. I'd be interested in what you have in mind though. Thanks! Brian
Old 03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Anthony- I don't know everything about your system, but I do enjoy using the multi-stop and passing sticks. Unfortunately I don't really have the cash to drop on your DVD , but from what I've seen your system is the best.

Also, to clarify- I do like the passing sticks, have made my own and use them. But for me at least, the longer passes are hard to complete due to my players' lack of true direction. I was thinking a larger passing target would help on longer passes (for example, a .25 inch target for a 10 yd pass, .5 inch target for 20 yd pass, or something like that). Maybe there is a rule covering this in the MPFL, but if there is, I don't know it. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Brian McAtee

Maybe you are never completing a long ball, but how often do you want to complete a bomb? For anything over 40 yards, my my guys have to go about 20 yards to the stick to make it complete. It happens sometimes, but not often.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default What I'm going for...

I hope to get it to the point where if a receiver is wide open, it won't be a major problem to complete the pass, but if he's covered, it'll be more difficult and risky.

Sayyyyy..... maybe if I vary the pass target based on proximity of defenders?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Brian McAtee

Default ahh

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcanohead View Post
I hope to get it to the point where if a receiver is wide open, it won't be a major problem to complete the pass, but if he's covered, it'll be more difficult and risky.

now I gotcha. Makes perfect sense. All of it! Let us know what you come up with. I like where you are going with that. Brian
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:

HMMMMMMMMM

assuming you might make the target smaller if the defender is close and vice verse. if that is so, then a covered guy would have a chance at a ball, just a smaller target, but at the same time, that makes it harder for the defense to get a play on the ball if the target is smaller as well.

if i got it right, its still something to think about. peeked my interest.
if i got it all , then sorry bout that.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Anthony- I don't know everything about your system, but I do enjoy using the multi-stop and passing sticks. Unfortunately I don't really have the cash to drop on your DVD , but from what I've seen your system is the best.

Also, to clarify- I do like the passing sticks, have made my own and use them. But for me at least, the longer passes are hard to complete due to my players' lack of true direction. I was thinking a larger passing target would help on longer passes (for example, a .25 inch target for a 10 yd pass, .5 inch target for 20 yd pass, or something like that). Maybe there is a rule covering this in the MPFL, but if there is, I don't know it. Thanks for the responses.

This is why the stoppages are so important, you are able to complete a bomb by using the stoppages to keep you're player on track to catch a 12 or longer passing stick.

If you put the stick down on the 2nd stoppage, ( 1st being the snap of the ball) then you have 2 remaining stoppages to to direst you're player to catch the bomg.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Stoppages and Pass Placement

The stoppages and Pass Placement go together, you need both of them to be able to pass as seen in actual football and also to defend the pass.

The stoppages are the chess part of the game, and when the board is on it's the football part of the game. Thinking is the key.

You don't have to change a single thing in the system, just think

Last edited by Anthony D Burgess : 03-13-2009 at 06:23 AM.