Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Photo Gallery of Miniature Football
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default 2010, a Buzzball odyssey (NY Giants running back)

Hi,

today, waiting for my steelers squad drying, I wanted to try a new thing, and challenge myself on a new project.

Mozzeek said that to me on another topic :

Quote:
Great Job also on those Steelers.....A Giants Team should be next......
So here we go, I'll start a 3rd team, New Yorks giants 2010 and I'll start with a running back, GARTRELL JOHNSON !

Why it's a new challenge ? Because I want to make that team with Buzzball figures only. Why ? Because. More seriously because I like that figures potential, and since I already build about 30 FF.net customs, I wanted to try something new.

One thing I like in buzzball figs is the material used for. The hard plastic is very easy to cut, sand, and remind my good old wargames figures modelling days.

The other thing I like : the legs of the buzzball figs, very similar to the real athletes legs today. So on that new project, I'll try to change my "Doctor Frankensteroids/hulk" style, and go in a more realistic way of sculpting and customizing.

The last thing is that using buzzball figs for "heavy" customizing seems to be quite unusual for what I saw recently. So it's another good reason to use them. With all that weight debates these days, it's also something like a tribute, in a way

A good friend of mine sent me some used buzzball figs, I picked one, and stripped the old paint. (pic1)

THen, I glued the arm I broke before and stripped and sanded the last paint traces. (pic2)

After that, I modified the helmet to give it a better shape, and remove the face of the figure. I also cutted off plastic on the legs, belly and hips, shoulders, and arms, fixing anatomic defects. THen, I sanded it with 320 sandpaper. I also resculpted the *ss, btw (pic3)

I fixed the figure on a weighted support with double sided tape. It will be easiest to sculpt the figure. (pic4)

Let 's go for sculpting ! I started sculpting some parts of the body armor, and legs protections. I also make a nice finish on the jersey back. (pic 5, 6, 7).

On that fig, I use a new technic : I try to sculpt each armor part separatly, then I'll add the tissue shapes. It should give a nice "mc farlane" effect once it will be finished.

Next step : finishing the chest, and make the face and the helmet details.

Then, I'll add the ball and modify the right arm to keep the ball. It's why I didn't make the arms muscles first, I don't want the ball to seems to be a "pièce rapportée" (good reason to work your french ) .

Oh, and I forgot something : it will be my first attempt making detailed hands too

to be continued.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Interesting thing you did which shows your attention to detail and perfection - you used the green stuff to extend the shirt further down, or more so, lowered the waist line, to keep the figures upper and lower halves more proportioned. I will take a look that in the next few weeks as i fiddle around with apoxy sculpt.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I like the thigh pads.....enhances the fig a great deal.....NICE
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Man I cant wait to see this!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default sculpting dollies

Quote:
Interesting thing you did which shows your attention to detail and perfection - you used the green stuff to extend the shirt further down, or more so, lowered the waist line, to keep the figures upper and lower halves more proportioned. I will take a look that in the next few weeks as i fiddle around with apoxy sculpt.

If you want to go in the customizing "hardcore way" (sculpting), you have to think about stock figures as "sculpting dollies" (wich are, basically, anatomic armatures for miniature sculpting). So the first thing to do, is to fix the defects : use pictures of real athletes, anatomic books, etc... cutting off figure material.

THe second step is to work "clean". I mean you have to sand, resand, cut again, and resand again. If you don't do that, you'll have problems in the next steps. The more complex and fine is your sculpting work, the more visible will be the defects.

The last thing is to think global, but separate the steps. You have to visualize the final result in your mind, but learn to make a "road book" on how to achieve the desired result. It helps a lot to "mix" and put things together : don't thing about the arm and shoulder : think about the body armor, and how the jersey will be placed on the body armor, and how the arm will go out of the jersey, etc...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I have tried this several times with Apoxie Sculpt but I am not artistic like you. I simply want to beef up stock poses thats why I am going to enjoy this post.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Exclamation Seams

first remove the head its alot more user friendly without it in your way. shoulders can be sculpted with ease. head replaced after done. then take your sanding stick & remove seam lines over & around arms before adding sculpt. All seam lines where the molding process that are visible should be removed before sculpting, I see u did that on body.

Last edited by Megawattz : 02-22-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default LOOKS GREAT!

My Man! I can't wait to see him when he is finish. Big props to you and Wattz for giving so much to the hobby. Love the work that you guys put out there. Keeps me going. Now hurry up with this figuire so i can see the hands .LOL

Last edited by steeler1 : 02-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Amazing

Go Steelers!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default I know this is going to be good!

We are all waiting!

Nat'l