Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default What's really needed for a good defense?

I was looking at some "game films" and pictures, and I notice a lot of defenses are just lined up straight across the LOS with maybe a safety playing back 10 yards or so.

As I experiment with different defensive formations, it doesn't really appear that it makes a whole lot of difference whether I'm in a recognizeable formation or not. Sometimes, I'll play with a fairly distinguishable 4-3 and other times, I'm using 4 loopers coming off the ends while manning up with my DBs and maybe playing a LB or two in the interior.

Either way, the results seem equally the same.

So, if I'm on defense, what do I really care about? What do I want to accomplish? I basically have two defenses, a run stopping defense and a pass stopping defense.

Why are some of you using 9 men on the LOS? What are some of your basic defensive ideas?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Defense 101

Great question.First you need to have a defense that can line up to any offense and be sound.Example--CB line up on 1 WR,OLB find #2 and leverage him.Safeties line up between 2 and 3 with care about crossing over the hashes.You can keep your box players the same--DL/ILB.NEVER GET OUTFLANKED!!!When I say 1,2,3 I mean eligible wr or slots,ect.If you blitz,you need to have another player to cover the area or play man defense.Another thing is your opponent.Are they a run team or pass team.No need keeping people out of the box if the offense is going to run it all the time.Force the opponent to do wants he is uncomfortable with.Take away his bread and butter plays.I hope I did not get to complicated.Hope this helps!STT
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Generally since there is not much zone pass defense played in MF then you will often see the all out blitzes and man-man press coverage.

I think it also depends on the rule set. Take for instance the shootout rules. In this system the "O" gets three back field motion audibles to only one on defensive audible. In this system you will see a lot of the 8-9 man fronts in order to limit the number of gaps in the defense. In shootout if the D plays a 3-4 defense the offense can motion audible two RBs into DL gaps (or outside the DEs) and the defense with only one audible is like....huh? Now take a rule set like the mid-ohio where defense gets one more audible than the O makes (typically 3 pivots to 2 in favor of defense). In this case you never get caught with your pants down by having a massive hole on your defense because you have enough audibles to react. In this case, you may decide to play LB's with more depth to have beter angles during pivot audibles and if one TTCs these LBs can be disguised to play a short zone (just an example where you may want to play with more depth on defense). Also, any touch vs front of base tackling may require different strategies to stop the run.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I like to have 4 strong defensive lineman that can hold up to a strong running game.
3 fast safeties that can close down on receivers and help out in the running game .
2-3 linebackers that can cover the tight end and run with the running backs , they also have to be able to help out in run support.
and last 2 very fast loopers that have to be able to give the qb less than 1 second to pass.
I forgot 3-4 great cover corners.

Last edited by jeff : 02-04-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
MFCA MEMBER

A four man line you can bet the bank on, looping linebackers, cover corners that can handle their biz and a safety or two the can keep yardage to a minimum.

Los Angeles...making EF history for over a decade.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
I like to have 4 strong defensive lineman that can hold up to a strong running game.
3 fast safeties that can close down on receivers and help out in the running game .
2-3 linebackers that can cover the tight end and run with the running backs , they also have to be able to help out in run support.
and last 2 very fast loopers that have to be able to give the qb less than 1 second to pass.
I forgot 3-4 great cover corners.
4+3+3+2+4 = 16 ....that' s a powerfull defense squad I'm just joking, your advises are really usefull and interesting The defense play is the hardest thing to deal with when you're a beginner...In all the games I played, our defenses are weak. It's infuriating to keep the offense on their 40yards, and then see a 40yards pass because of the lack of a good defense
Old 02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

I play the following

3-3-5, meaning: 3 DL..2 loopers...1 strong LB...2 CB...2 safeties.. and 1 roving player which can be audibled to adjust to offensive audibles.

As you can see on the front line of defense I play 3 downlineman.2 loopers. 2 cornerbacks.. another CB to cover the slot reciever(8 defenders on line of scrimmage)..1 roving LB..2 safties. the roving LB can be adjusted to offset offensive audibles. This defense is what works for me. FYI- Your 3 downlineman need to be STRONG. Hope this helps.

PS: Word of advice, try to always play 2 safties!! if your opponent swings backs out in the flat, move them up and cover a zone about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by RPD : 02-07-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default very nice lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD View Post
I play the following

3-3-5, meaning: 3 DL..2 loopers...1 strong LB...2 CB...2 safeties.. and 1 roving player which can be audibled to adjust to offensive audibles.

As you can see on the front line of defense I play 3 downlineman.2 loopers. 2 cornerbacks.. another CB to cover the slot reciever(8 defenders on line of scrimmage)..1 roving LB..2 safties. the roving LB can be adjusted to offset offensive audibles. This defense is what works for me. FYI- Your 3 downlineman need to be STRONG. Hope this helps.

PS: Word of advice, try to always play 2 safties!! if your opponent swings backs out in the flat, move them up and cover a zone about 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Straight to the point, RD
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Bump

More great info from the past!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default playbooks

as for other concepts on defense, there is a post to go to this site

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com

pull up any of these playbooks and get some knowledge!!!!!!!

i looked up the 1993 Oilers and what did I find - FOOTBALL GOLD - as I got to learn the 46 defense straight from Buddy!!!!!!!!!

if is more than X&O's ... it gives you the how/why for everything including foot placement!!!!

easy to follow and use on the mini field.......

k-lo