Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default New -- Need Some Help :)

Hey folks,

Just figured I'd first introduce myself and second ask some questions. My name is Matthew (obviously), and I am just getting back into miniature football. I'm 23 and had a set when I was a kid that I played with virtually every day, especially during football season. We had a house fire when I was about 11 and I lost my game board and many models, and sort of just moved on afterwards.

But now that I'm a bit older and looking for a hobby I thought this would be a great thing to jump back into. With the begrudging permission of my wife (an artist who has lots of paint and customization materials already in stock for my use! ) I ordered a 620 board yesterday and 32 sets of players to start a NFL solitaire league once they arrive.

But having browsed on this and another forum for the past week or so, I see that there are a lot of intricate things I can do within this hobby to make the experience more enjoyable.

I'm looking for someone who might be willing to help me out with some standard questions that I couldn't find the answers to on here, such as how to create charts, the usage of dice, etc, for Solitaire play, and what the best way would be to get through a full schedule of games (a week's worth) every week, to keep pace with the real NFL season.

I'm in Austin, TX, and would be interested in talking to anyone local or far away who is willing to give me some pointers in starting out.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default RR is the man

and in your neck of the woods.

Reginald Rutledge is the one you seek.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Welcome Matthew!

If you have any questions just ask away. The guys here are great and most will be able to help u out. I hope you did not order a brand new 620 board!

Also, make use of the search feature. I found it a LOT of help when I first joined.

Don "detroitchild" Lang
Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitchild View Post
If you have any questions just ask away. The guys here are great and most will be able to help u out. I hope you did not order a brand new 620 board!

Also, make use of the search feature. I found it a LOT of help when I first joined.

Don "detroitchild" Lang
Don,

Thanks for the welcome. I did, unfortunately, order a new 620 board. I have read the many reviews of the boards on the forums, and tried to bid on a few older 620's on eBay, but was outbid every time. The new 620 will just be a board to get me started, and if it ends up crowning or bowing I can always purchase an old-time board in the future.

The search feature has already been very helpful, you're right. Looks like a great group of guys here.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Don,

Thanks for the welcome. I did, unfortunately, order a new 620 board. I have read the many reviews of the boards on the forums, and tried to bid on a few older 620's on eBay, but was outbid every time. The new 620 will just be a board to get me started, and if it ends up crowning or bowing I can always purchase an old-time board in the future.

The search feature has already been very helpful, you're right. Looks like a great group of guys here.
I wish u luck with that. I ended up trashing mine. One thing you can do is let the guys on here know what you're looking for and you can probably pick one up at a very good price.

Best of luck my friend....and enjoy.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks! Can you tell me what your immediate issues were with yours? I mean to say, did it simply not work at all straight out of the box?

What I'm looking for is basically a board that works, but I can't really afford one of the $400+ custom boards right now, unfortunately.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Well...

...it had a terrible crown and too many dead spots. I applied many of the recommended fixes but it became to frustrating so I went in another direction.

You may be able to get an older, better built 620 from one of the guys here for a good price. My recommendation (one of many different ones you can get on this forum), send the other one back and use that money to get one from one of the reputable guys here.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up. Good suggestion. I'll see how this new one looks out of the box, and if it has the issues you suggest, I'll be on the market for one from someone here (PM me )
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default old 620's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Thanks! Can you tell me what your immediate issues were with yours? I mean to say, did it simply not work at all straight out of the box?

What I'm looking for is basically a board that works, but I can't really afford one of the $400+ custom boards right now, unfortunately.
I have a plenty of them and they are priced to sell.... send me a PM if you really want one...we can work it out

k-lo
Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Also.. does anyone know Beenut's e-mail? The Rookie told me that he is the man to go to for helmet decals.