Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Great Times in the Great Lakes

It's 8:45 am on Monday - back at work (kind of) after 3 of the most intense fun-filled days of Miniature Football at the Great Lakes League. Played eight of the 60 play games in a 3 day span (I'm used to 32 play games so that would equivocate to sixteen of those about) and I am TIRED!!!!!

Had an overtime classic in my opening game with Jimmy Davis, the defending champ. Tied it on a 4 yard pass to Finley on the last play of regulation and Jimmy D prevailed on the second to last play of OT with a 60+ yard blue stick pass to win it.

These guys are great coaches and more importantly great guys. They immediately took me in, Jim made some of his awesome shrimp gumbo, crashed at his place and we all were chatting, playing, and laughing until 4am the first night.

Lots of great games, a few times I was the pigeon and a few times I was the pigeon trainer (you know who you are "boo") but never was I anything but family which is why I decided to travel to take part in this league.

It's fun to keep learning in this hobby and challenging yourself and I encourage any of you who are on the fence about playing a "different style" or different ruleset or are nervous about joining a league to put yourself out there and give it a shot. The benefits of fellowship and seeing/learning what different coaches bring to the game far outweigh the getting out of your comfort zone.

As for a "shake the box critic" who has been outspoken about it in the past I will wait to fully weigh in on it until after the season. They say if you flip a coin 1000 times you'll get about 500 heads and 500 tails. Let's just say the box tooketh away a lot more than the box giveth (and it wasn't because I didn't shake it lots). My defense got 3 interceptions the first day - every one of them was taken away or negated because of a box shake. Can't say that scoring a tying touchdown against a top-notch opponent only to see it wiped out because of a dice shaken turnover or penalty is anyone's idea of fun, but it does happen in real football and does add excitement so maybe football karma will be on my side the next time around and I'll be able to benefit 85% of the time instead of 15%. Regardless, the results of the box isn't a valid reason not to like it so I'll do a more complete weigh-in after observing it the full season.

Much love to everyone in the GLEFL and a giant thank you for everything!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Well done, Sir!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default great

great time
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default TOM

YOU THE MAN MY FRIEND, I DON'T THINK NO ONE COULD PLAY EF AS LONG AS ME BUT THIS WEEKEND YOU MIGHT HAVE PASSED ME, I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE DID WHAT YOU DID, 8 GAMES IN 3 DAYS WOW THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY ON THAT IS WOW.
AND FOR A 1ST TIME COACH IN THE GREAT LAKES YOU PLAYED GREAT.

MY WIFE AND KIDS LOVE YOU AND IF YOU LIKE YOU CAN STAY AT MY HOME ANY TIME MY FRIEND.

AND I HEAT THE BOX TOO BUT I LOVE THE BOX TOO IT KEEP THE GAME INTERESTING, SO KEEP

Quote:
JIM was on the phone with Marty, Tom hollered across the room and said tell my boo I said HI

" and you're still my boo until next year!!!!!"
THAT IS AND WAS FUNNY

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE YOU AIN'T ME
I'M JIMMY DAVIS AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE

Last edited by Jim Davis : 09-20-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Glad you had a great time

Those are a bunch of great dudes out there.

Nat'l
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Glad to have you

Tom. Again welcome to the league. Glad to see your dedication and love for this hobby. You are a welcomed addition to the league. Next trip will be Better!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Hey Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTom View Post
It's 8:45 am on Monday - back at work (kind of) after 3 of the most intense fun-filled days of Miniature Football at the Great Lakes League. Played eight of the 60 play games in a 3 day span (I'm used to 32 play games so that would equivocate to sixteen of those about) and I am TIRED!!!!!

Had an overtime classic in my opening game with Jimmy Davis, the defending champ. Tied it on a 4 yard pass to Finley on the last play of regulation and Jimmy D prevailed on the second to last play of OT with a 60+ yard blue stick pass to win it.

These guys are great coaches and more importantly great guys. They immediately took me in, Jim made some of his awesome shrimp gumbo, crashed at his place and we all were chatting, playing, and laughing until 4am the first night.

Lots of great games, a few times I was the pigeon and a few times I was the pigeon trainer (you know who you are "boo") but never was I anything but family which is why I decided to travel to take part in this league.

It's fun to keep learning in this hobby and challenging yourself and I encourage any of you who are on the fence about playing a "different style" or different ruleset or are nervous about joining a league to put yourself out there and give it a shot. The benefits of fellowship and seeing/learning what different coaches bring to the game far outweigh the getting out of your comfort zone.

As for a "shake the box critic" who has been outspoken about it in the past I will wait to fully weigh in on it until after the season. They say if you flip a coin 1000 times you'll get about 500 heads and 500 tails. Let's just say the box tooketh away a lot more than the box giveth (and it wasn't because I didn't shake it lots). My defense got 3 interceptions the first day - every one of them was taken away or negated because of a box shake. Can't say that scoring a tying touchdown against a top-notch opponent only to see it wiped out because of a dice shaken turnover or penalty is anyone's idea of fun, but it does happen in real football and does add excitement so maybe football karma will be on my side the next time around and I'll be able to benefit 85% of the time instead of 15%. Regardless, the results of the box isn't a valid reason not to like it so I'll do a more complete weigh-in after observing it the full season.

Much love to everyone in the GLEFL and a giant thank you for everything!!!!
Due to me not playing this year I wasn't aware that you were in town. In fact I stay two minutes from Jim's place. If you come back and have time stop by I have some gifts for you. I had intentions of giving them to you and although I decided not to play my intent is still the same. In fact, if you send me your addy I'll just drop them in the mailbox.

Great to see you had a blast as expected.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Ken

Ken,

I'll be back - haven't set the date yet but it will either be late Oct, Nov, or early Dec. All depends on kids activities, etc.

I was sorry to hear that you aren't playing in the league this year. You're one of my favorite dudes in the hobby and was looking forward to getting back on the board with you. I'd definitely like to spend some time chatting and catching up so will be sure to give you a ring upon my return!

Tom
Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default The Pigeon

Tom we all enjoyed your company and you are a great guy for taking all the trash talking from us and fitting right in. I read your post which was cool but then realized you put a picture of a pigeon up, that had me in tears laughing It was great playing you and maybe next time I will be the one plucking feathers.

PS I found That loud mouth rookie who called you on the phone He is still running laps.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Attention EFL coaches in the States of Michigan & Ohio

Tom is returning again this weekend (tomorrow). Please come out to say hello. He will be here Friday thru early Sunday. If you can stop by the bowling alley Sat. Or Sunday. He will be at Jim Davis / Chuck Lawerence house Friday. Come out and say what's up! Go to www.glefl.com to see his schedule..