Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD, RULES WORLD plus Strategies and Formations > General rules posts not specific to a certain rules set
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Practice Sessions discussion.

During the course of your league season how do you structure your practices?

For example - do you simply work on the run game offense for a bit and then the passing game.

Do you break it down more specifically to situational practice aka down and distance.

2 minute drill? 2 scores down with limited time?

Packers 8 v. 8 drill (see video in other thread).

How much time do you devote to stopping specific plays or tendencies of your known opponents?

Do you work in all your players?

Or do you just scrimmage a bit?

Let's hear some good coaching points!!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Team Build

I start with defense by working on the defensive line. Next, the linebackers, safeties, corners. After that, I set them against an offense that is already tested and proven. Once that is done. I do the same for my offense. Along the way, I make changes when bases don't quite fit in to my scheme.

Maurice

The Electric Coach
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Coach View Post
I start with defense by working on the defensive line. Next, the linebackers, safeties, corners. After that, I set them against an offense that is already tested and proven. Once that is done. I do the same for my offense. Along the way, I make changes when bases don't quite fit in to my scheme.

Maurice

The Electric Coach
i do some of the same kind of thing, but go about it a little different.

Since I did not play in th esummer, this is the way I go about building the title contender.........

1 - since I have a couple of returning teams (Titans from NEFL-Philly that lost AFC championship; Cardinals from BEFL that won the title) I have something that does not need to be completly over hauled. Number one thing is to test EVERY PLAYER for where the base condition is. Run every player with their position in mind as you run up and down the field. With RB's, I try to focus on the plays that they will be required to handle. The picth-out, the off tackle, the draw, getting open in the flats, power leads. Do this for all the players.

in the same testing, check LB for speed, power, can they run to a spot consistantly, can they play zone, are they tough enough for goalline...
.. WR for can they get open in 3 sec that is all the time that a QB will get our league.

2 - after making sure everyone is running fine, scrimmage time against a pervious championship team. in this case, I use the 2006 Champion Falcons as my crash test team. I know that this team is good so it will be a test for the Titans (Cardinals come later). Titans defense goes first. We all know that defense wins championships, so you must have a soild defense that can adjust to any offense that you may face along the trail to the the title.

3 - testing consist of several items. First being the notion that you must disipline yourself to line up your defense [during practice] as if you are facing an opponent and YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY what is going to happen. this is key to findout what your team can really do. Setup the offense with their plays (Falcons were a run first team) and they are going to lineup like they are going to run the ball.
line up your defense in your normal run stop defense and excute the action.
At this point is where you make your suttle adjustments to the team being worked on. I like to play an entire game but with scrimmage princibles being used.

example: team A drives down field but gets stopped within the FG range, I skip the kick and restart that drive again. Fine-tune the defense and restart it again. then I put in the subs...change the defense to "down and distance" with all the schemes that this team will be using.

Of course, all the players get to be the feature player for a few plays where I will focus on the different ways that he plays his role. Eventually ever player gets his time in the spotlight.

4 - offense gets it's turn. I will run all the backs on the same play drive after drive to see which one does the play (or Plays) better than the others. I will have at least 3 featured RB on any given team that can make "house music". then the backups have their jobs, too. But before the RB can get started,, the O-Line gets a look see. making sure that they all MOVE. Strong bases have there place, but I perfer to have players that move becasue the field is constantly moving... that is how you get down field blocking.

O-Line gets to run a couple of tests ( 2 man stack; drive-blocking ) to see performance. the 2-man stack is just that - One linemen pushing the 2 man stack. you see this defensive formation almost every where you go. if you have linemen that can hold there own against this, you will be able to funcution well on offense. When you add your explosive RB behind that, you should get many tiugh yards when you want to.

5- offense gets the drive the ball.... running plays from the list of things that move the ball down field.

6 - kickoff coverage. since league play is a little different from tournament play, all players are available for the coverage team. Tournaments your restricked to just the defensive players. That may explain why we have so many during those times. Anyway, I finfd the fasteest, straightest and the toughest to play on kick coverage team. try to keep the opponent pinned up in their own end. One mistake and we are in scoring range.

K-LO
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Greetings to you my friend. I have no set regiment but these are the areas that I focus on.

1) I kick a minimum of five FG's from 45-50 yards out. I have one football that I use ONLY for FG's. You never know when you will need a FG to win a game and that is why I start with the FG's.
2) I test my kick coverage team. There is nothing worse than working hard for either a TD or FG only to have your opponent either run the kickoff back for a TD or a return that gives them great field position. My fastest bases are on kick coverage team. As you can see I start with special teams.
3) My DL and LB's are tested. I like to make sure that I control the LOS on the defensive side if nothing else. I also test my OLB who are my loopers.

I don't have a real routine for my offense other than my OL. Again I make sure that I control the LOS on offense as well.

Hope this helps.

Coach J
Old 11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Bump!

Right now I'm scrimmaging as a practice session. I'm also using what I've seen in videos from Artlax and the Electric Coach. They both have some great stuff.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
MFCA MEMBER

i mostly practice my passing & kicking game (espcacilly FG) holly molly that i suck in FG (lol!!!)

Benster from north of the border
Old 11-16-2008, 12:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Racette View Post
i mostly practice my passing & kicking game (espcacilly FG) holly molly that i suck in FG (lol!!!)

Benster from north of the border
In order to keep passing at a 75 to 80% clip I spend most of my time on passing.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Do what you Do!

Know what your players can do and get better at the basics of running,blocking,tackling.Do not make it a guessing game if your players will perform they way they should.Work on your weak areas and get better there.Center your time around these basic philosophies---Take care--STT
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Right Now

I am looking to incorporate the lateral line movement into my 3.3 team....this can be a great asset to stopping those loopers depending on how the defense plays you up front...what i have noticed is that in some leagues coaches have left some O- linemen uncovered to run freely down field...this year after i incorporate the lateral line movement and master it...i will make them pay dearly........

Special Teams as Coach J has stated will close the door on some coaches so like him i have also worked on my kick off and punt coverages.....and i have set aside 11 men just for that purpose......

Also working on Passing drills to expand my offensive skill set and some exotic defenses to combat those pass only teams......
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Update

After my showing at Miggle I now must work on my passing game. I'm having trouble getting my receivers off the line of scrimmage AND I need to practice passing under pressure.

Any advice.