Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Some of the Greatest Winners are Not Always the One Who Won

Please note: Please do not waste your time reading this if the subject matter or the author of the subject matter does not interest you.

Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing". He would later re-word the statement to mean that if you give everything you got and you leave it out on the field, whether you win or lose that game, you are in essence a winner in life.

I've always lived by that philosophy. My children, Rhianna and Reginald both knew that and that's what we practiced in our home.

In the game of MF, many are bound by wanting to win on the final score. I have told guys who I have been associated with in the past, "You don't have to win every time". Yeah, I know, at the end of the day, you want to win but you may do the game so much more better if both coaches could walk away with dignity, self-respect, and friendship in place, no matter the score.

God only knows, we all want to win! That's what we were bred to be but some of the biggest winners in this game, to me, are not the ones who hoist the trophy. They are the ones who everyone want to be around. They are the ones who keep leagues together. They are the ones who put the good of the whole before themselves. They are the ones who can still put on a happy face when you know, deep down in side, they may have felt slighted! They are the ones who believe in the good of the cause instead of their own selfish ambitions. These are the true ambassadors of the game of miniature football. These are your leaders, the ones who others will follow. These are ones who may be leaders but are willing to follow (if the cause is just). These are the ones who invest much and get little from the game. These are the ones who are reliable, that you know will be there, and will not be the fly-by-night guy. When their life story in the game of MF is written, they will be remembered more for the good they did than for whether they won or lost a football game. One of my best friends in the world, the late-Dirk Thomas embodied what I speak of. I wish many of you could have met the man. We spent long hours discussing life, marriage, and football wins and losses last. It was not that important. We desired to be around each other. As a matter of fact, he and Joyce Rogers had seriously considered moving to Arlington so we could spend time with each other.

In this game, I know ego means everything to everybody. I say to you, "What good is an ego if you've lost the respect of your peers?" What good is that ego if you are stranded on an island all alone? What good is that ego if no one wants to play with you, in this wonderful game called miniature football?

Some guys have that magic touch. Nobody gives a D A M N if they win or lose, they just want them around. They bring energy, passion, and good vibes to the game. They bring ethics, integrity, and compassion to the game. They are steadfast, immovable, and true to their convictions. They are what is so good about the game. Yeah, they don't always deliver on time, but they do deliver. Their reputation is always at stake but you would stake your life with these types too. Give me 12 great ambassadors in this game and I will give you one hell of a league! I will give you 12 guys who want to win, who will try to win, but at the end of the day, will be winners whether they won a game of MF or not.

Just saw some Lombardi movie and got all hyped up!

Reg

LXC in 2011

Last edited by Reginald Rutledge : 12-17-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Check out my Flames and Stampeders blogs at www.prosportsblogging.com
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up

Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Excellent post Reggie

I agree with you on what you say. For me I can apply this to my work. We have Officers that believe the amount of arrests they make defines their career, but I say not. The Officers that stand out are the ones that are always there to back other Officers up. They don't care about getting the arrest, they just want to be there to help out. They don't wait to be assigned by the dispatcher to back up another unit, they just show up. And when ive Been in horrific situations, or getting my butt handed to me, while I'm trying to control a situation, they are always there. It's the way I have chose to work my career. I won't retire with the most arrests, but I will retire knowing that other Officers will look at, and remember me for always being there, just to help out.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Thumbs up Ditto for that Frank B!

That's what I gathered from my career in Corrections. No matter who, what, where, as a Lieutenant I am there to support my troops and have their back. That's where my statement comes from. I have led men and women since 1986 and not one has been hurt on my watch. It's the most important thing to me to ultimately retire without seeing one "family" member go down. That's how I define who I am as well. Although we house over 1,000 prisoners, and roughly 250 staff not one will ever say I didn't honor my word.

Then you come to this kid's game. A hobby. It took me a while to understand why some of these things happen. Some people have never been called upon to lead, to be responsible. They are undisciplined in their lives yet they are somebody here. It is who they are. This is their definition.

Whenever I do anything I go all in and give the benefit of the doubt. I will be down for whatever so long as my "moral compass" does not tell me otherwise.

When that happens, you take your enthusiasm where it would do the most good. This has definitely been a year of recognition for me with the hobby.

It is clear that some people look at it as sport while some people look at it to pass time and innovate.

When the innovation comes back, I'll be right there.

I can always play.

Just my thoughts.

Excellent post Mr. Rutledge!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:04 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Lombardi.......

Reg,
I watched the LOMBARDI movie again tonight.That
has got to make 3-4 times I've seen it since it's
been running on cable this week.This show is a MUST SEE.
I highly recommend it.The guy was amazing.
Simply amazing........

SEMPER FI,
Chris Stacey
Hampton,VA