Miniature Football Home  

Go Back   Miniature Electric Football Forums > Miniature Electric Football Tailgate Party
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default How difficult would it be to play a travel league

This is just hypothetical.

I would be interested in understanding the challenges of playing in a league based around 3 cities sharing equally?

For instance, next year in the 2009 football season, how could something be created to play between 3 cities? The DFW is based in Arlington, Texas but what if something else presented itself such as playing under the same rule system but instead of one central city being the focus, what about 3 cities. Each year, you switch the site of the Super Bowl?

For instance, if Detroit or New York played under the Shootout rule system, Washington, DC League had a strong contingent and played, and Arlington, Texas played under the system. How feasible is that?

The reason being is that when Road Warriors come to Texas, they make two and sometimes 3 trips to the DFW. For me, if I conceived a league that traveled and lessen the travel expense for all concern, would that be better for the good of the whole? Coaches from those cities would only travel to the other two designated cities 2 times instead of 3 and would also have cost defrayed by hosting a Road Warrior weekend? The biggest hurdle comes when doing the Super Bowl and wanting the fanfare of stadiums, press row, shows, lights, cameras, and all the action that can be shown in the DFW League.

Being a part of this type of league, when scheduled at the same time of your regular league (Fall Season), would probably conflict with any interest a coach would have in a local league but would certainly energize what goes on between members of that travel league? I am just brainstorming and thinking hypothetically? Help please!

Reg
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Reg...

This is a good question. I won't waste time posting why I think it would not work because the focus should be on how we could make it work instead. Therefore, I think there would be a few deciding factors and they are as follows...

Hypothetically speaking lets say we had 3 cities

1.) You have to compile a list of coaches in your home league whom are willing to travel. This way you can incorporate a non-conference schedule that would include only those whom are willing to travel instead of putting out of state games (road games only) on your schedule for those coaches that are not willing to travel and go play. Kind of what you are doing for the CBSMF DFW non-conference games in Oklahoma versus the Big XII.

2.) You also have to make sure that the willing travelers are not scheduled to play the willing travelers of other states. This defeats the purpose. It's unfair but the local guys that can't afford or are unable to travel need to get in out of conference games also. The only way that everyone gets to do this is if the travelers are scheduled versus the non-travelers of other states.

3.) Committments and registration fees must be paid well in advance. This will be a time consuming scheduling process since the conventional mehtod of creating a schedule would not be applied here.

4.) Every City that participates needs an active commissioner and a stadium. There needs to be leadership and a place to play the Superbowl!

I think that this could work and I'm interested to see how this shakes up. The CBSMF will definetly help us with tweaking this idea!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Travel League

Reg,

I like the idea, however I think you need to look at the NHFL. You basically have the same thing with the different regions in the NHFL. The problem is getting enough people in one city to agree to play by the Shoot Out rules.

I know I can't even get enough people in my area to form a region to play in the NHFL because everybody wants to play by their own set of rules.

I do think their are more people playing by the Shoot Out Rules now in major markets. So I think it is feasible. I know I would consider traveling to Atlanta to play in a Shoot Out Rules league before I would Arlington, DC, or New York.

I, too am interested to see how this shakes up
"All right, now, I don't want them to gain *another yard!* * You blitz…all…night!* If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'm gonna take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!" from Remeber the Titans
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Robertson View Post
This is a good question. I won't waste time posting why I think it would not work because the focus should be on how we could make it work instead. Therefore, I think there would be a few deciding factors and they are as follows...

Hypothetically speaking lets say we had 3 cities

1.) You have to compile a list of coaches in your home league whom are willing to travel. This way you can incorporate a non-conference schedule that would include only those whom are willing to travel instead of putting out of state games (road games only) on your schedule for those coaches that are not willing to travel and go play. Kind of what you are doing for the CBSMF DFW non-conference games in Oklahoma versus the Big XII.

2.) You also have to make sure that the willing travelers are not scheduled to play the willing travelers of other states. This defeats the purpose. It's unfair but the local guys that can't afford or are unable to travel need to get in out of conference games also. The only way that everyone gets to do this is if the travelers are scheduled versus the non-travelers of other states.

3.) Committments and registration fees must be paid well in advance. This will be a time consuming scheduling process since the conventional mehtod of creating a schedule would not be applied here.

4.) Every City that participates needs an active commissioner and a stadium. There needs to be leadership and a place to play the Superbowl!

I think that this could work and I'm interested to see how this shakes up. The CBSMF will definetly help us with tweaking this idea!
excellent views on making this happen....

the one reason that makes it work is having the "travel funds" and "work/family time" balanced out for each coach that wants to travel.

it can work, but the commisioner of each 'city' needs to be a people person, too. he has to sell the concepts to each of his coaches and gain their commitment to not only start but to finish the season.

Even in the non-travel league, making sure all that begin the season finishes the season.

k-lo
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default This is very interesting

This is a very interesting concept to me because you go in knowing this would not be a league for everybody. This would just be like picking a type of insurance to your liking with certain perks.

I think if there were 4 or so people in a league willing to make that type of commitment, that would be interesting.

For instance, where a Jim Davis from Detroit comes to Texas 3 times to play in the DFW and a Kevin Boddie comes to Texas to play 2 times, the load could be evenly distributed among the Jim, Kevin and myself to equally reciprocate to the other cities.

Where Jim would then have 1 trip to Texas and DC and Kevin would have a trip to Texas and Michigan, I would in turn, reciprocate and take trips to DC and Michigan.

For the local league, I would personally probably not play in that league due to time constraints, but it does allow the coach to still play in dual leagues. Like K-Lo said, the problem is that that "host city" person has to be a people person with the ability to have unbridled hospitality to the RW.

Mike hits on a good point in his #1. However, this does not have to be for everyone in that league, just people who are willing to invest the time and money and looking to play with people who are as committed as he is, win, lose, or draw.

Just some thoughts

Reg
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
MFCA MEMBER

Default My Two Cents

I like the idea in general. We have for the most part committed coaches here in the BAM and i know with the Quality of coaches we have started out with the Sky is the limit next year with several road warriors already showing interest. I am absolutely Sure that we have atleast 4-5 Coaches that have expressed interest in something like this...so let's see where this goes.....so far...... 3 states have been mentioned....i think that if we can include maybe a couple more states this could work......
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default With More States Come More Expenses

The more states come with more states wanting a piece of the pie. That's great but something like this seems it would be economically feasible if this was among 3 regions.

This is different from the CBSMF in that the CBSMF will be played among coaches from a conference, which is mainly one region of the country and then a finally is played in Vegas.

In this pro league model, teams from the East Coast would have to be considered as "one host city", as guys willing to come from the Midwest being considered from "one host city" as guys from the Southwest being considered from "one host city".

This simply means that the "headquarters" would be in those host cities and teams from those "host cities" would make their journey to the two other cities with one of those cities being the site for the Super Bowl.

This is just something hypothetical I have discussed with a few people. I like the thought of making two trips per year to host cities. I like the thought of invading a "host city" and hyping the game through the papers and news stations with an MF circus-type atmosphere!

Reg
Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Here's my take

Reg with the CBSMF coming up we have several cities broken into divisions. Then we meet in Vegas for the championship. So if you have a travel league as is the DFW. Then see how many coaches we can generate for that area as a division have them play their games then fly to Arlington, New York or Detroit for the playoffs and the Superbowl. So I agree with K-Lo have a Chair for each area assign a schedule for that area then meet for the big games.

Darrian
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default If something like this ever...

occurred, I am not sure how many in the DFW would travel. I don't think many. I do think a Michael Robertson and John Rowan (maybe) would travel and possibly an RJ, but other than that, not many.

For me, that would be okay because I would want only the most committed being in this type of travel league.

I for one, am not a rich man, would do whatever it took to make it financially feasible for me and my family but I look would also look forward to the comradery of being in a league like that. I know from a stress and pressure point of view, it would definitely "jive" with me because now, the "oneness" is not simply on you but also on the other "host cities" to do the right thing.

But again, this is only hypothetical.

Reg
Old 10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
MFCA MEMBER

Default Solution

Reg,

If I ran something like this I would set up (4) cities. Those four cities have an equal amount of coaches committed to play. For the sake of explanation we'll do it like this:

New York
Dallas
Detroit
Los Angeles

Every season you always play the coaches in your division and ONE other division. You set it up so every other year you travel in the regular season. So a schedule might look like this:

NEW YORK - PLays everyone in NY and goes to Dallas.
DALLAS - Plays everyone in Dallas and hosts NY.
DETROIT - Plays everyone in Detroit and goes to LA
LA - PLays everyone in LA and hosts Detroit.
PLAYOFFS: In Detroit because they traveled the furthest.

NEW YORK - Plays everyone in NY and hosts LA.
LA - Plays everyone in LA and goes to NY.
DALLAS - Plays everyone in Dallas in goes to Detroit.
DETROIT - PLays everyone in Detroit and hosts Dallas.
PLAYOFFS: In LA because they traveled the furthest.

and so on...........

The most you have to travel under this system is twice a year IF you make the playoffs. The Playoffs switches cities each year. If I were to run something like this (not a snowballs chance in Haites) that's how I would set it up. Hope it helps.

RAIDERMAN